Transferring My Places to a new unit (I know, again) different problem. — TomTom Community

Transferring My Places to a new unit (I know, again) different problem.

I have Go50 device which has now stopped working ( I only get a grey world map displayed) despite spending 8 hours with customer support yesterday. I am thinking of getting a Go Premium 5" to replace it.
I see from another question that MyPlaces should sync onto the new unit. However, I have (guess) 200 saved locations on my old unit, but when I go into MyDrive Connect and look at MyPlaces listed there, there are only about 10% of my saved locations listed. (The poi files look correct). Will I only get these 10% on my new device, or will I get my full 200 locations? Is there a computer file of the locations that could be accessed to copy to the new machine (like my garmin bike satnav has)?

Best Answers

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,064
    Superusers
    Accepted Answer
    Hi
    @djme

Maybe useful....
    On the later/latest NAV4 and NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices....

When using 'MyPlaces' menu you don't have to search down the long list of MyPlaces
    Searching MyPlaces....Using Quick Search
    For the Start 42/52/62 See Note (1) below

The MyPlaces appear on the right-hand side of the Search screen

Say in MyPlaces you have...
    Costa Worcester
    Costa Bromsgrove
    Costa Droitwitch
    Costa Bridgnorth

Tap 4Dot (.... menu) Icon --> Tap Search
    If you Type say 'C' a list of MyPlaces starting with the letter 'C' will appear on the right-hand side of the Search screen
    Either continue to type 'Costa b' and the Costa Bromsgrove and Costa Bridgnorth outlets will display at the top of the list
    Tap the blue keyboard Icon screen bottom right to clear the keyboard and display the list
    Or
    Then type say 'C' and a list of MyPlaces starting with the letter 'C' will appear on the right-hand side of the Search screen continue to type 'Costa
    Tap the blue keyboard Icon screen bottom right to clear the keyboard and a full list of costa outlets will display
    After completing your search, to navigate to a 'MyPlace'... Tap the required MyPlace --> Tap the 'Drive' Icon or Tap on the 3Dot Icon, a quick menu will open with more options

PS... Tap 4Dot (.... menu) Icon --> Tap Search type say 'T' on the right-hand side of the Search screen will be all of your MyPlaces beginning with 'T'
    But on the left-hand side of the Search screen will be a list of your recent destinations beginning with 'T'
    Don't forget to Tap the blue keyboard Icon screen bottom right to clear the keyboard and display the list
    PPS... There is also a dual Icon with 3 Lines & 2 Circles...

bf5c60ee-cdb2-4ca7-bcae-a1f0f9623372.jpg
    Tap the the 3 Lines or 2 Circles to toggle between List & Map view
    Tap the Keyboard Icon to return to the Keyboard & Search menu

Note (1)... NO Quick search option available on the Start 42/52/62 range, these models only have the Step by Step Search Engine

ATB YFM

Answers

• LucifyLucify Posts: 124 [Exalted Navigator]
    If mydrive web only shows 10% of your saved locations then probably it did synch all the places marked on the go 50.
    djme wrote: »
    Is there a computer file of the locations that could be accessed to copy to the new machine (like my garmin bike satnav has)?

Not possible if the device does not connect to tomtom cloud.

Superusers
    Hi
    @djme

Firstly... Have you tried a Soft/Drum roll restart on the device ??? This restarts the devices Operating System afresh

RESETTING YOUR NAVIGATION DEVICE
    https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6965//session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNDI2NjM0NDUyL3NpZC9EQTdTVHpobQ

Charge the device for at least 2Hrs "OR" have the device plugged into a power supply
    Press and hold the on/off button until you hear a drum-roll sound then release the on/off button.
    You won’t lose anything; it’s just like rebooting your PC
    I use a Soft/drum-roll start after any upgrade large or small.
    It’s also useful to keep in mind for sorting out most minor niggles......

ATB YFM
  • djmedjme Posts: 7 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi YFM and Lucify. Thaks for answering so quickly.

Re device not responding : The Soft/Drum Roll reset seems to me like...just switching the device on. I tried this and....the device switched on!?!? But it still displayed the grey world map (20 seconds), which alternates with a black screen (5 seconds)
    Yesterday I did the 'Reset the device, white text, 3 quick taps etc', that had no effect either. I am now resolved, I think, it just won't work.

Re POIs:
    Quote "The NAV4 GO 50 only displays around the nearest 60 MyPlaces from the MyPlaces list".
    There are many near places not shown in the list and there are only 20 locations shown. I will only find out by connecting a new device whether all locations are downloaded. I hope they are as they have taken years to collect.
    Thanks for the reprint of the article also, I had seen this on another question. I followed the process, using the POI tool and only the 20 locations came up. Nearly 1700 lines of Notepad code for 20 locations!!!!
    Just as a comment/suggestion also : TomTom should put a Search facility on the My Places list. To have to scroll down by tapping a Down button is incredibly out of date. Even just being able to enter the first few characters to find a location would be such and improvement. How the guy with over a 1000 locations gets on, I don't know. He must spend half his day tapping on the screen!!! Do you have any influence there?

Thanks again guys for your help.
    I'll let you know if a new unit picks up all my saved locations, though it will be about a week before I can do this.

Hi Doug,
    Thanks for the response.
    I never thought of looking for my MyPlaces through the Search screen. I've always used the MyPlaces icon : Tap Menu, Tap right Arrow, Tap MyPlaces, then scroll down screen after screen after screen........
    I'll give it a go when I have the new unit.
    Cheers.

Superusers
    Accepted Answer
    Hi
    @djme

Maybe useful....
    On the later/latest NAV4 and NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices....

When using 'MyPlaces' menu you don't have to search down the long list of MyPlaces
    Searching MyPlaces....Using Quick Search
    For the Start 42/52/62 See Note (1) below

The MyPlaces appear on the right-hand side of the Search screen

Say in MyPlaces you have...
    Costa Worcester
    Costa Bromsgrove
    Costa Droitwitch
    Costa Bridgnorth

If you Type say 'C' a list of MyPlaces starting with the letter 'C' will appear on the right-hand side of the Search screen
    Either continue to type 'Costa b' and the Costa Bromsgrove and Costa Bridgnorth outlets will display at the top of the list
    Tap the blue keyboard Icon screen bottom right to clear the keyboard and display the list
    Or
    Then type say 'C' and a list of MyPlaces starting with the letter 'C' will appear on the right-hand side of the Search screen continue to type 'Costa
    Tap the blue keyboard Icon screen bottom right to clear the keyboard and a full list of costa outlets will display
    After completing your search, to navigate to a 'MyPlace'... Tap the required MyPlace --> Tap the 'Drive' Icon or Tap on the 3Dot Icon, a quick menu will open with more options

PS... Tap 4Dot (.... menu) Icon --> Tap Search type say 'T' on the right-hand side of the Search screen will be all of your MyPlaces beginning with 'T'
    But on the left-hand side of the Search screen will be a list of your recent destinations beginning with 'T'
    Don't forget to Tap the blue keyboard Icon screen bottom right to clear the keyboard and display the list
    PPS... There is also a dual Icon with 3 Lines & 2 Circles...

bf5c60ee-cdb2-4ca7-bcae-a1f0f9623372.jpg
    Tap the the 3 Lines or 2 Circles to toggle between List & Map view
    Tap the Keyboard Icon to return to the Keyboard & Search menu

Note (1)... NO Quick search option available on the Start 42/52/62 range, these models only have the Step by Step Search Engine

ATB YFM
    This is fantastic. I never knew this. Thanks so much, I will be sure to try this when I get my new unit.
    I bought my Go Premium.
    The 200, or so, My Place locations I originally had saved have been lost, not available to my new unit. All I have are the same c20 places that I reported were in My Connect before. Very disappointed, as it has taken years to collect them.
    Superusers
    edited March 8
    Hi
    @djme

If you log your new Go Premium device into your existing Tomtom A/C the MyPlaces should automatically sync to your new device....

Are you logged into MyDrive on the Go Premium....
    Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Setting --> Mydrive... Login with your A/C details....

ATB YFM
    Hi YFM,
    I've just gone into Settings/MyDrive on my new unit and it shows logged in to 'my email address' and a 'stop syncing' button (suggesting the unit is syncing / has synced.
    Anyway, thanks for all your help, it's been really good.
    Thanks again you've been soooo helpful all the way through. I'll give this a go. Thanks for your help.