Any one had any contact from Gps Update Center UK? — TomTom Community

Any one had any contact from Gps Update Center UK?

Joe09Joe09 Posts: 3 [New Seeker]
In attempting to update my TomTom satnav device over the weekend I encountered a connection problem so went to the TomTom support service and started to seek advice via the Chat Line. Shortly after raising a concern that I could not connect the device via TomTom Connect I received a message that I would receive a call to go through the problem. I then received a call from a young man with an American accent who claimed to be working in the UK. After handing over control of my PC to him he analysed that my McAfee security software was preventing the TomTom device from,connecting to my PC. He performed a cleaning function, assured me that the device was now connected and the maps updated before selling me another piece of computer security software that would enable the TomTom device to connect to my computer. Having now done further research I do feel that I was conned into parting with £179.99 for software that I didn't really need in the first place. My concern is that the telephone call to me came after attempting to seek advice through the TomTom chat line. Very angry with myself for having fallen for what appears to be a scam!!!!

Best Answer

Answers

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,419
    Superusers
    edited February 11 Accepted Answer
    Hi
    @Joe09

Sorry to see you have fallen to this scam... It was NOT a Tomtom Chat line
    Tomtom are aware of these sites and are tying to shut them down....

See @VikramK post (Tomtom Forum Moderator)
    Here... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1692654/#Comment_1692654

ATB YFM
  • Joe09Joe09 Posts: 3 [New Seeker]
    I wish that I'd checked this out sooner! Thanks for your reply @VikramK
  • John-JayJohn-Jay Posts: 684 [Revered Pioneer]
    edited February 11
    Joe09 wrote: »
    After handing over control of my PC to him he analysed that my McAfee security software was preventing the TomTom device from,connecting to my PC. He performed a cleaning function,

Hi, @Joe09,

I'm no expert, but I would be VERY concerned over what else he may have installed onto your PC!!

If I may suggest, can you get your PC checked over by a RELIABLE/TRUSTWORTHY person, since I would strongly suspect some "Malware" might have also been installed!

• Joe09Joe09 Posts: 3 [New Seeker]
    edited February 13
    I think that TomTom should take some responsibility for customers being scammed through using what appears to be a genuine Chat facility on their website. If TomTom do not offer such a facility then, at the very least, they should carry a warning to that effect on their official website and also notify customers to beware of bogus sites offering to solve problems with TomTom devices. Getting more angry each day that passes since I fell victim to the shysters!!!!
  • DOLLODOLLO Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    found out I have been scammed before reading Joe09 letter, I also contacted the tom tom chat line, a foreigner told me that I had no security on my computer and I was unable to upgrade my tom tom. He said I would receive a phone call to explain to me how I can upgrade my tom tom. What happened to Joe09 happened to me, and at the same cost of £179.99. however, the person I spoke to gave me a name and phone number if I had any problems, his name was Daniel Wayne toll-free 08006890416 his ext0235.
    The £179.99 was £149.00 three years security antivirus and network firewall, £30 for cleaning my computer of viruses.
    I have since taken my computer to a qualified expert who has re-set my computer, I have also changed all my passwords, as I was told this guy will try and keep tabs on your computer for twelve months or more he will then hit your banking details and whatever else he needs.
    He uses Zoho invoices when he sends your receipt so you can't trace him.
    Be warned everyone else

Mine happened in January 2020
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,419
    Superusers
    edited May 6
    Hi
    @DOLLO
    Welcome to the site....
    Sorry to see you have fallen to this scam....
    It was NOT a Tomtom Chat line

Tomtom are aware of these sites and are tying to shut them down....

I entered 08006890416 into the 'Who Called Me' ? Phone number checker.....
    Quote....
    The overall rating for phone number 08006890416 is Dangerous.
    There have been 494 phone lookups and 8 comments relating to 0800 689 0416. On this page: 8 Users rated it as Dangerous.The summary of detected keywords found in the reports is as follow: scam (5 times), internet (1 time), Microsoft (1 time). Freephone is a type of Number Translation Service (NTS) that allows a phone user to call a non-geographic number beginning with 0800 without incurring a charge
    End Quote....

See...https://who-called.co.uk/Number/08006890416

Stay Safe... ATB YFM