USB cable for Eclipse II — TomTom Community

USB cable for Eclipse II

DeeRDeeR Posts: 6 [Apprentice Seeker]
edited February 2020 in Built in car navigation
I just purchased an RV that has an in-dash TomTom Eclipse II AVN 4430. It doesn't have a usb cable. What size do I need to connect it to my computer to update the maps?

Comments

• LucifyLucify Posts: 124 [Exalted Navigator]
    edited February 2020
    Will depend on the slot available on the device, in general the cable used with tomtom is this one https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/sat-nav/accessories/chargers-cables/compact-car-charger/
  • DeeRDeeR Posts: 6 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Lucify: I have a standalone TomTom with that charger but it doesn't fit the in-dash Eclipse
  • CarminatCarminat Posts: 989 [Revered Pioneer]
    I haven't got that TomTom system. But if it talks about USB for updating, you will use a USB stick.
    It updates from my computer.
    How wrong can I get?

Normally when a system talks about USB, it has a USB slot in or near the system. You get a USB stick, put it into the USB slot in your computer, download the update, take the USB stick out of your computer, insert it into the USB slot in your car and update the system from it.

But yours needs a fifty foot long USB cable that reaches from your car to the computer in your house? Wow!
    How wrong can you get Carminat? The unit pops out of the dash in order to update it. Perhaps one shouldn't be so sarcastic if one doesn't know what the unit looks like.
    BTW, I went to BestBuy, popped the unit out of the dash and took it into the store and a mini-USB cable fits.
    And now you have updated it. All without any help from here.
    Having now Googled the thing, I find that you have posted in the wrong section - this is for Built in navigation systems, whereas yours is a PND. The manual suggests before using you check contents, of which one is USB cable.
    silly me for thinking a community forum might be able to provide an answer before running around to stores. Upon searching the forum I found a couple of other posts from Eclipse users who were not admonished about posting in the wrong section. Pardon me for not realizing that a PND that is part of an in-dash radio is different than a built in navigation system. I certainly won't be participating in this "community" forum if this is how a "revered pioneer" responds. Have a wonderful day.