TomTom Rider 550 won't connect — TomTom Community

TomTom Rider 550 won't connect

Nomad52Nomad52 Posts: 7 [Apprentice Seeker]
My new TomTom device won't connect to the internet when using a USB connected to my mac. The 'system preferences' shows "TomTom RIDER 550 has a self-assigned IP address and will not be able to connect to the Internet."

How does one fix this error? I can find no reference to configuration options in any of your documentation

The mac is running the current OS, i.e. 10.15.3. I know the USB port and cable are working is both were tested with another device.

I have a MyDrive account and have been logged in and have been unsuccessful in getting files transferred using this method.

Answers

• ST1300_PanEuropeanST1300_PanEuropean Posts: 80 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    edited February 9
    Hi Nomad:

Welcome to the forum community.

The Rider 550 is designed to maintain its own direct Wi-FI connection with your local internet access point (router, hub, whatever). For that reason, the device doesn't support an internet connection via a USB cable to the computer.

It's very easy to connect the device directly to a Wi-Fi hotspot such as the router in your home. Just go the the settings menu, select "Wi-Fi", choose your router from the menu that appears, enter the password (if applicable) and the device will connect.

It will then automatically connect to that router in the future, as long as you leave Wi-Fi switched on within the Rider 550.

I have not yet tried connecting to a hotspot that brings up one of those "accept these terms" web-pages when a connection is made - such as a hotspot in a hotel, coffee shop, or other public place - so I don't know how the device would cope with something like that. I do know it works just fine on any access point that simply requires a password.

Once you have established the Wi-Fi connection to the router, I believe that a second prompt screen will appear on the Rider, asking you to log into you 'MyDrive Connect' account using the username and password you established for that account. When that is done, the Rider will then download routes, waypoints, etc. that you have created and saved whilst using the 'MyDrive Connect' application via the browser in your computer. The device will remember your login to MyDrive Connect for future use.

Be aware that at present, there are major problems preventing a proper connection between the MyDrive app on your iPhone and the Rider 550. This prevents full functionality when using the iPhone and the device away from home (in other words, on the road). That problem is very well documented here on the forum. There is a 'kludge' work-around that enables traffic data reception via the iPhone, but that workaround doesn't enable full advertised functionality. If I recall correctly, for that 'kludge' workaround to work, you need to turn off Wi-Fi reception on the device - which means that you will then need to turn Wi-Fi back on again when you are at home and want to fetch map updates, route & waypoint downloads from your web-based MyDrive Connect application, etc.

Michael
  • Nomad52Nomad52 Posts: 7 [Apprentice Seeker]
    edited February 10
    Ok.. let me try this again.
    1. I do have the wifi connected...but files on "mydrive" do not load to the device. Further there is no indication on the device and/or mydrive that the server is connected/communicating/moving file from my account to my device.
    2. I have both the TomTom Home application and and have account with "MyDrive"... In the case of TomTom Home...when I connected the 550 to my Mac via the supplied USB cord I do not see the "device connected" notice in the lower right corner of the application.
    3. As I stated in my post when I've connected the device via USB my Network preferences shows at "self assigned IP address" for the device and it consequently isn't connected via my Mac to the MyDrive servers.

I have three issues
    1. Although my device connected via wifi once to update software and the maps it has not done so since. (see item #1) I have deleted and re-added the wifi connection with no success. I do see the device connected to my wifi in my network monitoring software.
    2. the USB connection does not work apparently due to something odd in the devices network configuaration, i.e. "self assigned IP address"

I am running a current generation Macbook Pro with the most current release of OSX (10.15.3). The USB port and cable work as I have tested with other devices. I have tried the obvious, i.e. reboot, renew DHCP, etc.

As I is now I have to use a seperate route planning software (Garmin's BaseCamp) and export the GPX file to a micro SD card and then install that on the device. That is impractical over the long term. More importantly that doesn't resolve the connectivity issues that will prevent me from getting map updates and software updates.

So... In reverse order How do I resolve #2? Then, how to I resolve #1?

Full disclosure. I'm a retired CIO and have more than a few years of experience...I've done everything I can find on your literature. Unfortunately very little of it addresses Mac users and none of it has worked.

Austin Hutton
    [email protected]

Mod edit: Please don't post private or personal information on a public forum. Thanks!
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,497
    Superusers
    Hi
    @Nomad52

The NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices like your Go Premium normally update using Wi-Fi...
    Tomtom recommend a minimum Wi-Fi download speed of 30Mbps
    Tomtom NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices will only connect to a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network

Note... All the update actions are executed on the device...

If Wi-Fi is not available or is slow/unstable/unreliable.....
    See Option... (2) Connect over USB

TomTom Video... Updating your navigation device using Wi-Fi®

If you have successfully connected your device to your Wi-Fi....
    To check your Connection Speed, Signal Strength & Quality
    On the Device... Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Settings --> Wi-Fi
    Tap on the Your Wi-fi name (The one Showing as connected)
    A new Menu Page opens

7g8gwfpx1swt.jpg
    On the left-hand side of the screen is your Wi-Fi Connection Status

All the update actions are executed on the device...

See Option... (2) Connect over USB

Option... (1) Connected Wi-Fi
    Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Updates & New Items
    Extra Maps are Installed/Maintained... Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Maps

I always update my devices one Update at a time
    The NavCore Application and QuickFixGPS updates are force ticked by Tomtom... Deselect any other updates like Maps, Speed Cams etc... Update the mandatory item/s first, when complete update the remaining items one at a time

Note... NAV(5 Wifi) devices connected over Wifi do not require MyDrive Connect to be running Even if myDrive is running you have no access the MyDrive Connect menu structures as used by the previous NAV3 & 4 devices

Option... (2) Connected USB
    Updating your new NAV5 (Wi-Fi) device over USB will require "MyDrive Connect"
    Get it here.....
    www.tomtom.com/getstarted
    Run MyDrive Connect.....
    Note... The NAV(5 Wifi) devices have no access the MyDrive Menu structures as used by the previous NAV3 & 4 devices
    Connect your Device to a USB Port on your PC
    Updating a NAV5 (Wi-Fi) device using USB is the same as using Wi-Fi, all of the update actions are executed on the device...
    Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Updates & New Items
    Extra Maps are Installed/Maintained... Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Maps

Note... MyDrive Connect will only show a "Splash screen" saying "Connect your device using Wifi" etc
    If required you can close the 'Main Mydrive Window' showing the "Connect your device using Wifi" Splash screen... MyDrive Connect only needs to run in the background on the PC TaskBar

27bxc59f2s23.png
    ATB YFM
    Superusers
    edited February 10
    Hi
    @Nomad52
    Nomad52 wrote: »
    As I is now I have to use a seperate route planning software (Garmin's BaseCamp) and export the GPX file to a micro SD card and then install that on the device. That is impractical over the long term. More importantly that doesn't resolve the connectivity issues that will prevent me from getting map updates and software updates

I prefer .ITN Routes....
    A Route planned directly on the device is a .ITN Route
    An .ITN Route uses Stops and the device plans the route between the stops... An .ITN Route will will respond to Live Traffic and any route deviations BUT an .ITN route will doggedly follow the stops in the order they were created, if you miss a stop, the device will continuously attempt to guide you to the missed stop... You have to cancel the problem stop on the device to avoid it

Using the MyDrive Web Route planner....

Using a .ITN Route planned on the MDW Route planner...
    The latest version of MyDrive Web Route planner now uses 'Send Destination' or 'Send Stops' to send an .ITN Route
    The MyDrive Web Route planner only sends the route to the device as a Destination... Or if you add Stops it send it as a Route (But it's is not automatically saved in MyRoutes)
    If you are using .ITN route and 'Send Stops'
    see my workaround below

x9kkavu7m0o4.jpg

qkw01ev5tv6s.jpg

Complex Twenty Stop .ITN Route Rider 400
    lv3gbgezr1sx.jpg

Be Aware .ITN Routes....
    If your starting point IS NOT your present location there's a BUG
    When using the 'Send Stops' option, during an "A" to "B" route transfer and when 'A' IS NOT your present location...
    The device drops Location "A"
    This bug also applies also to Multi-Stop/Waypoint routes... 'A' to 'B' to 'C' to' D' to 'E' etc...

Important....
    For a more detailed info about the 'Dropped 1st Stop Bug'
    Click on the Link...
    https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1198253/#Comment_1198253

This is the workaround method I use....

The Tomtom MyDrive Web Route Planner....
    Get it Here... https://mydrive.tomtom.com

(1).... Plan my Route with the MyDrive Web Route planner (With or Without Stops as required)

(2)... Zoom in... Place a Sacrificial stop close to the Start Icon

8eaec27f-eba6-4332-bbb7-38ecfdac3110.png
    (4)... Choose the 'Send Stops' option... The route will sync to your device

(5)... The device will calculate your route from your 'Present location'
    (5.1)... The device will calculate your route using Stops in the order that you placed the Stops in the route
    (5.2)... If the planned Start of the Route is your 'Present location'... Then skip Bullet-point... (6)

(6)...When the route has calculated, Pinch zoom to the correct start of your Route (The Sacrificial Stop Icon) 'Long Tap' (Tap and hold for +1 second) on the Sacrificial Stop Icon --> A quick menu opens --> Tap the 3Dot icon --> Choose 'Use as a Starting Point'
    The device will calculate your route from your new location

(7)... Saving the Route
    'Quick Tap' anywhere on the Route --> A quick menu opens --> Tap the 3Dot icon --> Manage route --> Add to my Routes.... Edit the route name as required or simply Tap Add

Note... (1) A 'Quick Tap' and 'Long Tap' of the screen gives different menu options
    Note... (2) The MyDrive Web Route planner will sync a route with a Max of 20 stops

ATB YFM
    I have no interest in creating routes directly on the device... why would I use a limited function 4" screen instead of a 15" laptop with a 27" monitor..

I'm trying to specifically resolve the questions I asked. Wifi doesn't update with routes created/imported to MyDrive and the USB connectivity doesn't work
    ok... good to know about the network limitations... not anywhere in the documentation...I am using a mesh wifi network in the house connected to 150mbs fiber carrier network.

Please reread my questions.. the device is connected to my WIFI but is NOT connecting to the MyDrive servers. Further the USB connection does not work and the device (rider 550) shows "self assigned IP address" issue on my network preferences.

Hello Austin:

I'm the forum participant who provided the first response to your question, above.

I'm a relatively new user of TomTom navigation devices, although I have many years of experience using Garmin devices. I have only had my Rider 550 for about 2 weeks. I use Windows software on my laptop, so I can't assist you with any MacOS specific issues. Chances are that another user who uses a Mac will see this discussion in the next day or two and chime in.

During that two week time period I have discovered that which I shared with you in the response I posted. I have also discovered that there are some fairly serious deficiencies in how the MyDrive app (note carefully, the iPhone app, not the web-based MyDrive Connect) communicates with the Rider 550.

These deficiencies are well-documented and fully discussed here in the forum sub-category that is specific to the Rider - see Rider sub-forum.

Please be aware that these forums are entirely user-supported - TomTom staff don't participate. Hence the responses you get come from other end users who are doing their best to assist their peers.

There is no point in directing comments towards TomTom employees, or TomTom corporate, as you have done in the last paragraph of your most recent post. It's possible that TomTom observes the conversations in these forums, but they sure as heck don't participate. All the responses you get are from peers - other end users - who are endeavouring to assist you.

Michael
    Michael... I'm a retired CIO and the lack of and inconsistent documentation is truly appalling. So are some of the network architecture issues. I also have 15 years or so with Garmin GPS and Aviation products...

Your post surfaces one of those inconsistencies. "(note carefully, the iPhone app, not the web-based MyDrive Connect) communicates with the Rider 550." I was told specifially by tech support the iphone app does not function as a network intermediary for 'myconnect' functions but only to provide a stand alone phone mapping tool and/or display routes downloaded from TomTom servers and as a conduit for traffic updates.

As an app its pretty unimpressive.

I can run Windows using Parallels on my Mac.. I'll give that a try..but until then software/map updates are a crap shoot and the only reliable way to get routes on the device is from a micro SD card.

As annoying as this is... Garmin isn't a great deal better.
    I also have 15 years or so with Garmin GPS and Aviation products...
    How coincidental.

I spent 8 years beta-testing Garmin GPS products on motorcycles (recreationally) prior to 2008, and 30+ years in aviation, the last 10 of which were designing, engineering, specifying, certifying and flight-testing integrated flight decks for transport category aircraft.

Garmin products are a bit more mature, and Garmin generally avoids the "large potholes" such as the one that TomTom has fallen into with iPhone & Rider connectivity. I'm waiting this problem out, hoping that TomTom will get around to fixing it.

The overarching problem is that standalone GPS device sales have been in free-fall for the past 5 years as a result of more automobiles including navigation as standard, and the widespread adoption of smartphones that provide real-time traffic & navigation services via apps such as Waze & Google Maps. It's not uncommon to see support fall off when a market for technical products begins to evaporate due to better solutions coming along.

So far as TomTom documentation is concerned, the company actually does quite a good job of providing video documentation, rather than written documentation. See the extensive library of TomTom videos at this YouTube link: Tomtom Support Videos - YouTube

Michael
    ...I was told specifially by tech support the iphone app does not function as a network intermediary for 'myconnect' functions but only to provide a stand alone phone mapping tool and/or display routes downloaded from TomTom servers and as a conduit for traffic updates.
    That is correct, tech support told you the truth.

The problem with the MyDriveConnect app on iPhones is that it is no longer supporting telephony & SMS message display on the Rider 550, and no longer supporting provision of live traffic data to the Rider 550 unless a "kludge" workaround is implemented.

Those three tasks - telephony support, SMS display support, and provision of traffic data while travelling - are the three primary purposes of the MyDriveConnect iPhone app.

It is still possible to create routes, waypoints, etc. on the app and have those synchronize with your MyDrive cloud storage, but in my opinion, that's not the principal purpose of the app. Who wants to create routes and waypoints on a little smartphone screen when you can do the same thing on the MyDrive website and benefit from using a mouse & a large monitor display whilst you do it?

Michael

Superusers
    edited February 10
    Hi
    @Nomad52

Here... Using BT Mini Whole Home Wi-Fi (3 mesh units) connected to 110 MB/s Virgin media router (Virgin Wi-fi deactivated)... Win10 DELL PC NO problems with Wi-Fi
    Is your mesh wifi network broadcasting a 2.4GHz signal ???

RE Route transfer from the MDW Route planner...
    Are you logged in on the Rider 550 'My Drive' Sub Menu ???
    Check... Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Setting --> System --> MyDrive

RE Route transfer from the MDW Route planner over USB...
    When attempting USB Route or Track transfer over USB... MyDrive Connect MUST be running in the background

Also on the NAV4 & NAV5 Rider models you have direct access to the PC Filer system to transfer Tracks or Routes....

My Rider 550
    tqucwbgho1vq.jpg
    The Rider 4/5xx will give you direct access to a small buffer/transfer area of the Rider 4/5xx Main Memory... You can also access your Micro SD Card, you can drag & drop your .ITN or .GPX route files directly to the Rider 4/5xx Memory buffer/transfer area or the Micro SD Memory card over a secure system
    NavCore Version 15.302
    Released on 3 July 2015
    This update applies to the Rider4/5xx
    With the "Easy route upload"... You can connect your TomTom Rider to your PC using a USB cable, then drag and drop your route files directly to and from your device’s memory using a file explorer program.....

(1)... Connect Your device via USB and this screen appears on the Rider 550
    c64613c2-b6ca-4088-a8c6-b2c72a2c765e.jpg
    (2)... Tap the Import route Icon and the Rider 550 connects to the secure "Easy route upload"
    185e7f17-03ea-4d08-9f20-aba2fc64aa84.jpg
    (3)... On your PC filing system you should see "Tomtom Rider 550" where you can drag and drop your route files directly into the Rider 550 main memory or the Micro SD Card
    33ce976f-93c9-4fc0-b9a3-60acf162b062.png
    (4)... If you haven't got a Memory card installed it only shows the Rider 550 Main memory
    f85105c8-9d58-41d8-9d25-0f7230a2be76.png
    (5)... Drag & drop your route files to the device or the Memory card
    d0e6ebb9-f0bc-4b56-b91a-5dda94b7b7c3.png
    (6)... When your done tap "Done"
    7b1aa1e6-2953-49e8-be7c-2158437bca5c.jpg
    You can also use a Micro SD Card as a transfer medium

ATB YFM
    Couple of thoughts.

Yes.. my router has 2.4G... and yes the device is logged into my wifi.

But... Routes I create on mydrive using my mac DO NOT transfer. Like I said I'm using a mac and none of the details you show on screen shots from your windows 10 machine apply.

I am copying .gpx files on to micro SD cards and that does work....doesn't resolve the software and map update issues however.

I have also discovered an "android file transfer" app that can run on my mac that allows me to transfer files directly via the USB to the micro SD card. Helpful but still doesn't fix the software and map update issues.

I'll fire up parallels on my mac and install mydrive on my windows partition and see if the requisite connectivity issues are still there.

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,170
    Superuser
    edited February 10
    Hi @Nomad52

When you are creating maps in My Drive on your Mac are you

Logged into your account.

Have you checked the "Sync this route as a track with my devices option is selected and green" when you have selected Save to my .

Also is your GO550 logged into your Tomtom Account and connected to the Mac with My Drive Connect software running and you logged into it.

Doug
    Superusers
    edited February 10
    Hi
    @Nomad52

As soon as I read "android file transfer" I remembered the Tomtom FAQ...

Mac OS X

TomTom Rider uses the USB Media Transfer Profile (MTP) for transferring routes. On a Mac you need to install a program that supports USB MTP, such as Android™ File Transfer.

Once the program is installed, connect your Rider 40/400 to your Mac and select Import routes. This switches the device to MTP mode. Route files such as GPX and ITN can then be copied to the internal memory of your device or a memory card using the MTP program.

See Tomtom FAQ...http://au.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/20584/~/how-do-i-transfer-tracks-and-routes-to-my-tomtom-rider-device?

ATB YFM