Downloading a Route — TomTom Community

Downloading a Route

Trooper_Clive744Trooper_Clive744 Posts: 12 [Master Traveler]
Hi Everyone

Can anyone out there help me please, Iv'e got a TomTom Go Camper and I don't know how to download a planned route to it from MyDrive.

Iv'e connect the TomTom to my computer via a usb lead, signed into MyDrive, and typed the destination into the search box, asked it to plan the route and in this particular instance its come up with three routes.
I make a selection from routes, after that I simply don't know how to download it to the TomTom.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Answers

• VikramKVikramK Posts: 10,204 Moderator
    Hi @Trooper_Clive744

After you have entered the start point and the destination in MyDrive you should see an option just below which says 'Save To My Routes'. The website also allows you to select the vehicle type. It will then plan a route considering those preferences. See image below-

4uuc2d631bjh.png

You should see the planned route under 'My Routes' on your GO CAMPER when you are logged in to MyDrive on the device [User Guide]

More detailed info in the video below-

Regards
    Vikram
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,105
    Superuser
    HI @Trooper_Clive744

Just to add to Vikram's post do not get confused between the My Drive Connect Software and the MY Drive Website. The latter is what you use to add the Routes , Poi fields etc to your account and then they are synced to your device/devices when they log into your account
  • Trooper_Clive744Trooper_Clive744 Posts: 12 [Master Traveler]
    Thanks for trying to help me guys below is an account of what I'm doing which I assume is wrong.

Go to mydrive.tomtom.com
    Sign in
    Type in Password

Click the two arrows (plan route) and slide out window will appear.
    Search for an address using the top box by starting to type the address and if you want to click from the selection list which will appear.
    The lower box is to type in your starting point.
    Click save to my routes.

Another window will open where you can add photos or a description, there are also two radio buttons Sync this route as a track with my devices and Yes, I drove this route.
    There is also a save button which I clicked.

Yet a further window opens stating the start and destination and at the bottom of this window it says share route, edit route, delete route.
    There are no further save buttons.

If I then go to my Go Camper Sat Nav current route is greyed out.
    If I click my routes all I get is a message saying plan a route and save it.
    Record your route as you drive.
    Go to mydrive.tom.tom.com to discover the world’s best drives.
    Personalise and sync them with your device.

I don’t know about my drive, but I do know its driving me crazy.

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong

Thanks again
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,417
    Superusers
    edited February 7
    Hi
    @Trooper_Clive744

If you use the Save & Sync option on the MyDrive Web Route Planner
    The Save & Sync option save a .GPX Track... its basicly a bread crumb track that you follow

I prefer .ITN Routes....
    A Route planned directly on the device is a .ITN Route
    An .ITN Route uses Stops and the device plans the route between the stops... An .ITN Route will will respond to Live Traffic and any route deviations BUT an .ITN route will doggedly follow the stops in the order they were created, if you miss a stop, the device will continuously attempt to guide you to the missed stop... You have to cancel the problem stop on the device to avoid it

Using a .ITN Route planned on the MDW Route planner...
    The latest version of MyDrive Web Route planner now uses 'Send Destination' or 'Send Stops' to send an .ITN Route
    The MyDrive Web Route planner only sends the route to the device as a Destination... Or if you add Stops it send it as a Route (But it's is not automatically saved in MyRoutes)
    If you are using .ITN route and 'Send Stops'
    see my workaround below

x9kkavu7m0o4.jpg

qkw01ev5tv6s.jpg

Complex Twenty Stop .ITN Route Rider 400
    lv3gbgezr1sx.jpg

Be Aware .ITN Routes....
    If your starting point IS NOT your present location there's a BUG
    When using the 'Send Stops' option, during an "A" to "B" route transfer and when 'A' IS NOT your present location...
    The device drops Location "A"
    This bug also applies also to Multi-Stop/Waypoint routes... 'A' to 'B' to 'C' to' D' to 'E' etc...

Important....
    For a more detailed info about the 'Dropped 1st Stop Bug'
    Click on the Link...
    https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1198253/#Comment_1198253

This is the workaround method I use....

The Tomtom MyDrive Web Route Planner....
    Get it Here... https://mydrive.tomtom.com

(1).... Plan my Route with the MyDrive Web Route planner (With or Without Stops as required)

(2)... Zoom in... Place a Sacrificial stop close to the Start Icon

8eaec27f-eba6-4332-bbb7-38ecfdac3110.png
    (4)... Choose the 'Send Stops' option... The route will sync to your device

(5)... The device will calculate your route from your 'Present location'
    (5.1)... The device will calculate your route using Stops in the order that you placed the Stops in the route
    (5.2)... If the planned Start of the Route is your 'Present location'... Then skip Bullet-point... (6)

(6)...When the route has calculated, Pinch zoom to the correct start of your Route (The Sacrificial Stop Icon) 'Long Tap' (Tap and hold for +1 second) on the Sacrificial Stop Icon --> A quick menu opens --> Tap the 3Dot icon --> Choose 'Use as a Starting Point'
    The device will calculate your route from your new location

(7)... Saving the Route
    'Quick Tap' anywhere on the Route --> A quick menu opens --> Tap the 3Dot icon --> Manage route --> Add to my Routes.... Edit the route name as required or simply Tap Add

Note... (1) A 'Quick Tap' and 'Long Tap' of the screen gives different menu options
    Note... (2) The MyDrive Web Route planner will sync a route with a Max of 20 stops

ATB YFM
    Superuser
    Hi @Trooper_Clive744

Generally what you have said is fine so shall we go through a route to test.

Firstly when you have logged into the My Drive website and entered your Password does the Website address at the top now have more detail after it including some Long/Lat figures. This shows that the PC has Location On so the webpage is showing in the Web address your current position.

Click on the vehicle type you want the route to create for at the top Ie Car, Motorbike, Truck, Heavy Camper.

In the first box select Home displayed under it.
    In the second Box Type Congleton, 3 possible routes should appear.
    If you want to create a Waypoint Click the + and enter the waypoint (Type Norwich) in the new box. Now put the cursor just to the lefthand of the box and 3 Dots will appear and you should be able to, holding the mouse button down, move the box up to between the other 2. You can add more boxes and waypoints.

Now only one route will probably appear on the map.

One option you have at this point is to Click on the 2 Up/Down arrows at the righthand end of the top box. This reverses the route.

Now you have 2 options to consider.

If you Tap Send Destination, or Send Stops if you have included waypoints, this will sync this route to your devices on the account as an .itn file and be displayed ready to use. It should be noted that this route may change when received by the GO Camper if you have different Route Preferences such as Light Camper as your vehicle, the vehicle dimensions differ to those you have set in My Drive and also it will take into consideration Traffic data that the GO Camper currently has. This route will also take note of traffic data as you travel and offer alternatives if appropriate.

If you Tap Save to my Routes then this will create a .gpx file which some call a Bread Crumb route in that when used on the GO Camper will take no notice of Traffic data and will follow exactly the original instructions. If for example you miss a turning it will take you back to the place the error was made not recalculate the quickest way to get to the next point on the route if there is a shorter way than going back to the error point.

When you click Save to my Route a new page appears with a suggested name for the route and you should click on the Sync this track to my Routes so the button moves to the right and the box is green. Now click Save and you now get another menu where you have options to edit the route you have just created. If you look carefully you will see this menu is slightly lower down the lefthand menu bar against the My Route Icon.

If you click on the little Arrow head top Left of this last Editing option menu it should take you to the list of Routes you have created and saved in My Routes on My Drive..

Now turn on the Go Camper and when ready and if there is no route ready to use on unit the Option Current Route will be greyed out as that only works if a route is in use.

If you now

Tap Menu
    Tap Settings
    Tap My Drive
    You should have the words Stop Syncing bottom right. Do not touch this but that is confirmation that the device is linked to your account. Now the Go Camper must be linked to the same account as the one you are using in My Drive to enable the sharing of data . This should also be confirmed when you Tap Menu by the little Cloud Icon Top Right being Bold not Grey with a cross.

If the device is Syncing to your account then if you now go to and select the My Routes Icon on the Go Camper it should show the same list of routes as you see saved in My Routes on the My Drive Webpage. Be aware that when you send a route to your Go Camper it will take a little while to arrive, it will be quicker when connected to Wifi than it will take when connecting via the inbuilt Mobile Sim in the device.

One thing to remember is if the current map being displayed on your GO Camper is not the map which the Route created for is on then the Route will appear at the bottom of the My Routes list and you will have to change to the correct map to display it.

If the above does not work then I would do a Factory Reset on the device and set the unit up again as you did out of the box. This will not change the current versions of the Operating Software or maps on the device.

Tap Menu
    Tap Settings
    Tap System
    Tap Reset Device

This deletes all data from your device including any Poi and route files you ahem loaded on it but they should be restored from your account. To check they are in your account go to the My Drive webpage and look for the files.

Hope this helps.

Doug
    Hi Doug

Thank you for your reply

When I sign into mydrive, I type in the address bar mydrive.tomtom.com as soon as I click the arrow at the end of the address bar, a web page opens up with a map on it and the address changes to:

https://mydrive.tomtom.com/en_gb/#mode=viewport+viewport=52.78027,-2.11814,13,0,-0+ver=3

and thats before I sign in.
    After I sign in there is no change in the above address ie. it still reads

https://mydrive.tomtom.com/en_gb/#mode=viewport+viewport=52.78027,-2.11814,13,0,-0+ver=3.

Is that as it should be or is something wrong??

Thanks again

Clive

Doug

I forgot to mention, you said click on vehicle type I want to create route for,

No I can't even see an option to do that, have a look at what I'm seeing, maybe you can sort me out from it hopefully.

Clive

ws5q5svhzfgb.jpg
    Doug

Iv'e now found out how to select the type of vehicle, so one less thing for you to explain to me.
    I appreciate it is probably all very elementary to you, but me and modern technology don't go together very well.
    I guess thats the problem when you come from an age when the nearest thing you could get to a pocket calculator was a slide rule :)
    Superuser
    Hi @Trooper_Clive744

You forgot the Log Tables as well. Those were the days. =)
    YamFazMan

I'll have a dam good go at what you have said, as it would be ideal for me.
    I like the idea of being able to program a route directly into the device especially when on the move.
    I don't normally take my desktop pc with me :) and as I only use a PAYG mobile phone connecting to the internet via that would no doult cost an arm and a leg.

Thanks

Clive
    Hi Doug

I’m back again, when I log into mydrive.tom.tom.com and made a selection of vehicle I’m presented with this screen:
    z1yvbab8h199.jpg

if I then click the small arrow indicated in the green circle I'm presented with this screen:
    pj7ogebsvjz9.jpg

I keep getting 24 Chesnut Drive Stafford which is not my home address but keeps opening up as that by default.
    If I then proceed and click the little house as shown in the blue circle nothing appears in the next box under the the top one but on the map my house appears as a destination obviously I can reverse the route by clicking the up and down arrows.

If I then sign out and sign back in I get the same performance, I assume my home address should appear in the top box after clicking the arrow in the green ciircle.

Any further ideas???

Clive
    Superuser
    edited February 8
    Hi @Trooper_Clive744

I will own up and say I have never clicked on the Icon you have circled in Green. It appears that, based on my Tapping on it just now, it inputs the position you are currently at based on where your computer thinks it is. Your PC would have to have the ability to locate where it is set up and working. I have just tried it again only this time I had turned of Location on the PC and then when I click on it it does not put anything in the box.

Could it be that you like many never set the Home position on their TT units as at their actual address as a security feature should someone get hold of the device. Could this explain whilst you have a difference between the Arrow input and the Home position.

Doug
    Hi Doug

What a nightmare.

I’m trying what I’ve typed below from home,

If I switch the Sat Nav on and from the menu click Drive Home, bingo it opens a map up with a symbol of a house smack bang on the road I live in.
    I appreciate I’m at home trying it out so the sat nav will pick up my present location.
    Having said that if I’m away from my home and click Drive Home it pin points it spot on, I never have to key in my home address, so I assume the sat nav is set up correctly.

Just looking back over what you have already said
    “Click on the vehicle type you want the route to create for at the top Ie Car, Motorbike, Truck, Heavy Camper.
    In the first box select Home displayed under it.
    In the second Box Type Congleton, 3 possible routes should appear.”

So just to recap when you go onto My Drive on your computer and after selecting a vehicle without further ado, the top box by default shows your home address without you having to do anything, if that’s correct how on earth can I change the default address of 24 Chestnut Drive which is incorrect.
    There must be some way of getting rid of the above default setting not that I know how to?

Below is a blow by blow account of what I’m doing:
    Type mydrive.tomtom.com in web address bar below is first screen that opens

sbzii6f4y9jt.jpg

Next, I log in and the screen changes to this, its nearly the same except for one very small difference my house is shown on the map with what looks like chequered flag, I’ve ringed it in red.

gcjdurjomtbi.jpg

If I then click this sybol

vftess65uzl1.jpg

The screen I see is this, you will notice its still showing my house which is still marked in red, but in addition to that there is now also a small map showing on the left which I think is just symbolic. There are also two Search for addresses and POIs boxes with nothing in them.

Short of typing something in the two addresses and POIs boxes the only other thing I can do is click the arrow as shown in blue.

a5mktdyfuah8.jpg

Which brings me full circle to what is shown below Home ½ mile and low and behold
    24 Chestnut Drive, Stafford, ST17 9WE.
    No disrespect to anyone living there but I wish the county council would come and demolish it.

2lzz6qmxoltx.jpg

I was rather hoping there would have been a few more replies about my question on this forum, but I would like to thank you for your patience in trying to help me.
    I’m not sure whether its worth posting my question again or where else I could try.
    I know I could phone TomTom and ask them as I don’t think they can be contacted by email and to be truthful their videos make all seem a walk in the park.
    At the moment I feel as though I’m in Hampton Court Maze.

Doug if you can think of anything else please don't hesitate to tell me and thank you once more for your help.

Clive
    Superuser
    edited February 9
    Hi @Trooper_Clive744

Firstly the icon with a house in it is the Home Icon and should have Home written under it. For this icon to exist then you must have set up it up at some time.

If you Tap Menu on your Go Camper
    Tap My Places
    Tap Home
    You should get a map view with the Home position and a Menu with Drive at the end. Tap the 3 vertical dots and you have an option to Edit the Location and so could move it away so you are not showing anyone where you live.

Yes when you turn the Sat Nav on and it locks on the Sats it will show the arrow over the Home Icon you have set or will just show the Arrow head if you have set Home as somewhere else.

If you click on the vehicle types and select Truck or Heavy Camper then you will see another option, vehicle measurements, appear below the Symbolic map which you click on enables you to input vehicle dimension and weight details to help create routes suitable for the Vehicle.

The other 2 options below enable you to set a Leave option which is the date and time of departure and the Avoid Nothing enables you to set the Routing Preferences you want My Drive to use. This latter one is particularly important as if the Routing Options in My Drive are say set to Avoid Motorways when you Send Destination or Stops to you device it will recalculate the route if your Device has that Motorways are acceptable.

The pictures you have posted are slightly odd. On my Mac the Tomtom heading and the other headings are far more to the Left and my Login is top Right. Based on the size of the icons on the left it looks like a full screen image so where is your Login. which should be Top Right. Also on mine there are an up or down arrow on the Right edge with a little Blue Arrow icon under them. This is the icon which if you press takes you to where the PC thanks you are.

It is almost like your PC is not set up so that it is telling the My Drive software your correct location. When I Start My Drive and Log in the map centres itself over where I am with the Little blue arrow in the middle of the screen. In your first 2 pictures the Little Blue arrow is down in the bottom right corner and not on your houses position.

The reason in the last picture that Home has 1/2 mile under it is that it is trying to indicate how far Home is from what it thinks is your current position.

You can email them . Scroll to the bottom of this page and Select Contact Us under Support.. Now Select navigation Devices,Select Camper & Caravan, now select Go camper. Now Click on Select our support services no Click Troubleshooting. When you do this you will see links for Email Us and Phone Us..

Doug
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,417
    Superusers
    Hi
    @Trooper_Clive744
    I think the 24 Chestnut Drive, Stafford, ST17 9WE
    is the 'You are here' Icon....

03wnhgckvjec.jpg
    I turned mine off years ago when the MyDrive Web Route planner decided that I lived in a different town 30 + Miles away, according to Google Street view its a smallish brick building at the end of a Cul-de-sac :/
    I guess its where my Internet provider keep their Servers/Internet connection

When you first fire up the MyDrive Web Route planner a small window opens and asks permission to use your present location (Geolocation)

Geolocation Wikipedia... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geolocation

Prevent websites from tracking your location, by disabling Geolocation in your browser
    https://www.thewindowsclub.com/disable-geolocation-browsers

ATB YFM