Devices without SIM — TomTom Community

Devices without SIM

How does a device without SIM card connect to the different services like HD traffic etc. via phone?
Does one have to open an app each time or other?

Best Answer

Answers

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 18,461
    Superusers
    edited February 2020
    Hi
    @marschner

The None SIM Live devices... Connect BYOC (Bring your own Connection) using a Mobile Phone over Bluetooth... Live Traffic and Phone calls (Works OK on my Windows Phone)

For a more advanced Bluetooth connection using an iPhone or Android Phone you will need to install the MyDrive App... You can receive Text Messages and Route plan etc.. using the phone....

Get data and hands-free calls using your iPhone....

Get data and hands-free calls using your Android phone....

Windows 10 Phone (No Tomtom MyDrive App)
    I also use a Nokia 625 Widows Phone NO MyDrive App available for Windows Phone... Just a straight simple Bluetooth connection.... The Bluetooth connection is very reliable
    The Go520 disconnects when leaving the vehicle and automaticity reconnects on return

Setting --> Bluetooth

640e810e-951f-43f9-9926-2354ee8b2ae6.jpg
    5d90a777-5f94-4ddc-9261-862920c4d146.jpg
    af442e9f-93cd-4e68-8687-590326701c6c.jpg
    136994d3-02c0-45b9-b96c-64c691c3dcd0.jpg
    On the latest NAV5 (Wi-Fi Devices) When you are setting up your Bluetooth... Turn off your Wi-Fi or go out of range of you Wi-Fi (The Wi-Fi will take priority over your Bluetooth traffic connection)

Turning off Wi-Fi... Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Setting --> Wi-Fi... Tap on your Wi-Fi's Name (Screen top left)
    Tap Modify --> Forget
    Follow on-screen instructions to finish

After you have used one of the above methods to pair your Phone....
    Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Setting --> Bluetooth
    Tap on the required Phone Name....
    Select the options as required....

q2652iboeme6.jpg
    ATB YFM
  • marschnermarschner Posts: 7 [Apprentice Seeker]
    -So for services like live traffic, speed cameras etc I do not need an app?
    -But do I have to do something actively each time, like connect with bluetooth or will it happen automatically when my iphone comes near the TomTom device?
    -Can it connect parrallel with my bluetooth headset?
    -I have an old VIA LIVE 125 now with SIM Card but getting a new device without SIM is some cheaper. I just don´t want to have big disadvantages by choosing without SIM.
    Superusers
    edited February 2020
    Hi
    @marschner

The Connection to Bluetooth is automatic as stated in my post above...
    But Some users have reported a unstable Bluetooth connection with the latest Apple iOS 13 Update (Apple/Tomtom still have problem under investigation)

ATB YFM
    Sorry :-)
    -But can it connect parrallel with my bluetooth headset or is only one bluetooth connection possible at the same time.
    -I guess the instability will be solved eventually.
    Superusers
    edited February 2020
    Hi
    @marschner

The only Tomtom from the present TomTom range that will connect to a Bluetooth head set is in the Rider 4xx & 5xx range....
    See... https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/sat-nav/motorcycle-sat-nav/

Maybe worth a look... Bluetooth Convertor --> Bluetooth Headset

lhtbtk4u68kk.png
    See Link...https://ridermount.com/product/bluetooth-gps-audio/

See review... https://www.morebikes.co.uk/13171/bluetooth-ridermount-gps-audio-review/

ATB YFM
    Sorry I wrote it in a bad way.
    What I meant was if I can use my iPhone both with my headset and TomTom device simultaneously.
    They both use bluetooth
    Superusers
    edited February 2020
    Hi
    @marschner
    marschner wrote: »
    Sorry I wrote it in a bad way.
    What I meant was if I can use my iPhone both with my headset and TomTom device simultaneously...They both use bluetooth
    Sorry NO, only the The only models from the present TomTom range that will transmit the Warning Sounds & Driving Instructions over Bluetooth to a Headset are the Rider 4xx & 5xx models....

ATB YFM
    No can I use my iPhone with my existing headset to make calls etc and at the same time use my iPhone for the services of the Tom Tom?
    I don´t want sound and instructions on my headset.
    Thanks =)