How to install USA map on TomTom 25 Start with SD card — TomTom Community

How to install USA map on TomTom 25 Start with SD card

andynantandynant Posts: 5 [Master Traveler]
I purchased the USA map for my TomTom 25 Start device, however, there's not enough memory to install the entire map.I have installed a smaller map of the south west but purchased an SD card with enough memory to hold the entire map. The SD card is successfully installed on the device but MyDrive connect won't install the map as there appears to be no way to switch the SD card storage. I've tried connecting the SD card to my desktop through the card reader, but nothing happens. Does anyone know how to get the SD card active on the device and MyDrive so that the additional memory can be used. Any suggestions would be appreciated as there would appear to be no instructions available.

Best Answer

• andynantandynant Posts: 5 [Master Traveler]
    Accepted Answer
    Hi Doug

It's worked! Thank you. I kept getting s message saying the website was busy. I decided to uninstall MyDrive connect, then reinstall it. It did what you said and switched to the memory card. It took the map. Thanks again.

Andy

Answers

• VikramKVikramK Posts: 11,624 Moderator
    Hi @andynant

Welcome to the community!

1. Are you using a class 10 branded memory card?
    2. Have you tried formatting it on the computer first?
    3. List of compatible memory card sizes- http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2634

Regards
    Vikram
    Hi Vikramk.

I'm not sure if it's a class 10 card. But here is it's link to the tomtom website - https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/sat-nav/accessories/sd-cards/16gb-micro-sd-card/

I bought the SD card from the tomtom website after searching for products compatible with the tomtom start25. The order states I bought the following - 16GB Microsdhc Card (+ Adapter). I inserted the microcard into my device and the tomtom start 25 formatted the card as it stated it on screen. I subsequently took the card out and placed it in my computer (within the card reader adapter). The computer recognised the card, but states that it is empty.

Any help would be appreciated. Andy
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 7,733
    Superuser
    Hi @andynant

If you look on the picture from the TT website you have provided the link for in your post the actual card in the picture has Class 10 written across the middle. If your card is from Tomtom then it should be fine.

Once you have installed the card and formatted it in the Start 25 then you just leave it there. Now when you go to your TT software that you use for updates etc you should see a link to the contents of your device and the USA map you have purchased should be listed there. You now click Install against the Map and the TT software will firstly look at how much space there is available on your units internal memory and when it sees there is not enough it will then look for and select the Extra memory card and load the map there. The map will only go on the extra memory card if the internal memory is too full as that is the systems default position for maps etc.

Doug
    Thanks Doug. I'll have a try again. I did plug the device into my PC and activated MyDrive. However, when I tried to download the map, a message popped up to say there is not enough space. MyDrive seems only to be checking the device, although the sd card space is showing.
    Superuser
    edited January 2020
    Hi @andynant

When you open My Drive Connect can you see in a line under the headings the details of how much space is used up and how much is free on your Internal and external memoirs.

Doug
    Hi Doug. When I open MyDrive connect it shows that my device has 2156 MB free and the memory card has 15130 MB free. I'm beginning to wonder if the 16GB memory card is suffiecient for the entire map of the USA!

Andy
    Superuser
    Hi @andynant

The extra memory card has plenty of room for the USA map and more.

Maybe @vikram can check the Logs for your device at their end?

Doug
    Accepted Answer
    Hi Doug

It's worked! Thank you. I kept getting s message saying the website was busy. I decided to uninstall MyDrive connect, then reinstall it. It did what you said and switched to the memory card. It took the map. Thanks again.

Andy