Why is voice recognition so poor? — TomTom Community

Why is voice recognition so poor?

BrianEBrianE Posts: 542 [Exalted Navigator]
For example, how can the command "Go Home" when spoken clearly in a quiet environment be interpreted as "setting volume to zero percent"? Not very impressive is it for a device costing around £300?

Answers

• Lost_SoulLost_Soul Posts: 231 [Exalted Navigator]
    I concur and have never to my recollection been able to get it to recognise an address; it is so frustrating.......

I have had some success at saying "Display My Places" then "Next" to go to the next page, and then the number but as they only show 4 at a time I could be saying this 25 times or more!! :s
  • bigbig Posts: 1,628
    Superuser
    I find voice recognition for simple things like "Go home" or "My places" works quite well, though sometimes I am asked for confirmation.

But the satnavs aren't too good at more complicated voice requests. Unlike Siri or Cortana, voice is processed directly on the device, not in the cloud, and there's a limit to that! Don't expect a meaningful conversation.
  • Lost_SoulLost_Soul Posts: 231 [Exalted Navigator]
    Maybe if Tomtom introduced the ability to search for a "post code" by Voice Command we might get better results being a simpler request?

@lampard @VikramK
  • BrianEBrianE Posts: 542 [Exalted Navigator]
    Yes, I only use voice control for things like "Go Home", "Display My Places", "3D View", etc, but as you can see by my opening post, it can't always even handle simple things like that. I also find having to wait several seconds before being able to issue an instruction somewhat annoying as well and it still catches me out sometimes.