Updating Europe Map - so so slow! — TomTom Community

Updating Europe Map - so so slow!

U have been updating the European Map now since 8am - it is now approaching 3pm - nearly 7 hours and still only at 35% - it has completed the first half of the task but then proceeds to 'Update' Tomtom - never known anything so slow - Internet speeds are fine 30mbps - just as well my trip is tomorrow - think it will be an overnight task...

Answers

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 20,088
    Superusers
    Hi
    @Smeeth1968

Is the PC hard-wired back to the Router or using a Wi-Fi connection back to the Router

ATB YFM
  • Smeeth1968Smeeth1968 Posts: 3 [New Seeker]
    Hi, thanks for getting back to me - hard wired. It got a bit quicker over the last 30 mins - in all just over 7 hours - won't be updated too much so not a huge issue. That's technology for you I guess...
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 8,889
    Superuser
    Hi @Smeeth1968

Did you have more than one update to do ie Map, Cameras, Mapshare etc and did you select them all to be done in one go. If you did then this may be a reason for the problem as it is recommended that you do updates one at a time and when you have finished do a Soft Reset to tidy the files up on the device afterwards.

Doug
  • Smeeth1968Smeeth1968 Posts: 3 [New Seeker]
    Only did the one update - just the map. I am hoping Sally Sat Nav will now stop sending be cross country :)
    Superusers
    Hi
    @Smeeth1968

I'm using Virgin Media Fibre optic broadband hard-wired back to the router 110MB/s
    But over Wi-Fi its only 40MB/s (I never bother with the much slower Wi-Fi)

My GO 5000 Full Europe Map (Hard-wired) takes around 50/55 Mins

ATB YFM
  • Lost_SoulLost_Soul Posts: 292 [Supreme Pioneer]
    If it's any consolation, I updated a ~9gb Europe map on a Go Premium X today starting about 10am and it took ~ 2 hours to get to 40%, suddenly leapt to 78% and finally completed in just under 3 hours, whereas doing the same a few days ago at about the same time it took just under 20 minutes for the same map ................ :)

It does seem to be a lottery as to how TomTom Servers will perform as my Wi-fi / USB connection downloads speed are very consistent. ;)
    Superusers
    edited March 2020
    Hi
    @Lost_Soul

Same here... NAV5 Devices update on the fly i.e... No Download/Decompress/Upload/Install... I find its a much faster install on the NAV5 devices than the previous NAV3 & NAV4 devices... NAV5 (Wi-Fi)

I've never seen a Wi-F1 speed above 72 mbps displayed on my Go 6200... I guess that s the Max Download speed of the NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices....

khvhgqi82m7b.jpgI'm using a Win10 PC hardwired to Virgin Media Broadband 110 Mb/s
    The Full Europe map v1040 size 9GB
    Obviously for me, updating the GO 6200 over USB with MyDrive connect running in the background is the Faster option...
    NAV5 (Wi-Fi) Devices update on the fly i.e... No Download/Upload/Install
    I'm happy with an 9GB Map update in 23Mins 24secs (Stopwatch)
    ATB YFM
    Superusers
    edited March 2020
    Hi
    @Franks6467
    Franks6467 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I have observed the same slow updates since I got the TomTom Rider 550 in 2019: 8 GB updates of Europe took > 8 hours, today's West Europe with 6 GB took 10 hours.
    Use case:
    Update via WLAN, 50 MBit/s down speed, Fritzbox 7430 with, TomTom connected with 2.4 GHz and 70 MBit/s
    Download between 8 AM and 6 PM, no further use of WLAN during this time.
    I personally consider a download rate of 6 GB in 10 hours as ridicuously slow. My assumptions: either the TomTom server does not scale with the number of devices, or the processing time on the TomTom itself is poor, maybe because hard disk or CPU are slow.
    Never update your TomTom when you plan a ride the same day!
    Out of interest... I deleted the Full Europe Map from my Rider 550
    The NAV5 (Wi-Fi) Rider 550 Full Europe Map is 8.76 GB....

I always restart my PC if I am installing a Map update
    I'm using a Win10 PC hardwired to Virgin Media Broadband 110 Mb/s
    Speed checked my Broadband connection...

Checks out at 112.35 Mb/s
    fobca19q1exw.jpg
    Updated the Rider 550 over USB with MyDrive Connect running in the background (Its the much Faster option....)

Rider 550 Full Europe 8.76GB Map update
    Result... 17mins 27secs (Stopwatch)

ATB YFM