Hello and improvements to app — TomTom Community

Hello and improvements to app

SanddancerSanddancer Posts: 5 [Master Traveler]
Hi Guys,

Im a taxi driver and I have used/ tried lots of different apps. The last set up I preferred was TomTom speed camera widget over Here Maps but I get a few problems with HERE every now and then but I do love the set up/ look of it.
Now I got a surprise when I went to open tomtom and found it had been updated. I have tested it this over many hours on the road and just wanted to put a few suggestions across as well as tell you about likes and dislikes of the new set up.

Ok first the navigation side of the app is pretty good, I'm impressed, the search engine works well too but the whole thing needs a few things put right.

What I would like to see happen with this app to get it pretty much perfect...….

1) The visual warnings, I hate what has been done with this, I would love to see the amber/ red warning bar back either on the bottom where it used to be or along the top either would be much better than what we have now. It used to catch my eye straight away it was a brilliant. PLEASE BRING IT BACK

2) I would love to have a landscape mode, yes it works now but has the car (triangle) off centre, I prefer landscape mode because it keeps my phone lower out of the way of the screen plus whilst driving along a road I can see more of the streets/ names. Reason is when driving the taxi I have a fair idea where a certain street is and rather than setting the navigator I just like to see when I'm approaching it.

3) Font size for me is a little small with my poor peepers these days, maybe an option to adjust the size a little would be great.

4) The spoken warning sounds. These are terrible on my Moto G and I had the same fault before the app was updated but that got put right. What happens is the warning fades in slowly so I miss the beginning of the message, maybe instant loud sound or a delay might work better.

5) Last thing, I would love to know the name of the street or road in bold letters at the bottom of the screen at all times.

These few improvements would make this app more desirable than any other for me. I know alot of people just wanted the old style tomtom speed cameras but maybe if the widget was exactly the same as it used to be that would make everyone happy/ best of both worlds.

Best Answer

Answers

• techguyonetechguyone Posts: 16 [Master Explorer]
    +1 for the warnings bar at the bottom of the screen, the pop out boxes are not fit for purpose.
  • Chorley1608Chorley1608 Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
    Absolutely agree with warnings. Miles better as it was in the previous version
  • SanddancerSanddancer Posts: 5 [Master Traveler]
    Well the spoken warnings I have solved by unticking use the internal speaker although it still works through the phone speaker which is what I wanted...

Additionally I would like an independent button to report cameras it's too fussy clicking a button then looking for the speed camera button especially with the risk of being caught by police touching the phone whilst driving
  • Oskar-2Oskar-2 Posts: 1,632 [Revered Voyager]
    Sanddancer wrote: »
    Additionally I would like an independent button to report cameras...

Haven't you unrecognized it as exactly what you want to have? ;)
    sxgc9dx11ouu.png

Its not really its as I said, you have to press that button then press a second camera button, here in the UK we get fined for touching a phone whilst driving. Just an independent button for cameras is safer for us.

New update...12/02/20 The app has got worse on my Pixel 3A as now the floating widget no longer works, I can have it overlay anything but it fails to give my speed. Also landscape mode is horrible not having the curser in the middle. Navigation mode needs a dedicated camera button as it's to fussy to report when driving and the camera warnings need to be back to amber red warning band. I will see what future updates bring but for now back to using Google maps.
    This is near enough a copy of my reply on google store....
    Altering the permission settings to allowed all the time solved the widget fault it now works again.

Still hoping a landscape mode is achievable so the curser is centralised on the screen.

Navigation mode still needs a dedicated speed camera button as its too fussy to press two lots of buttons to report when driving.

Still love to see the amber and red warning bar that was a unique/ clean design.

Larger font size plus letting you know what road you are on in bold letters at the bottom of the screen like most sat navs do.

I look forward to future updates and hope these issues are rectified.

I'm now using Android Auto which I really like plus the TomTom widget, it all works a treat but I'm hoping for great thing from TomTom Amigo.
  • JXEJXE Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    edited September 15
    I strongly support Sanddancer' s wish:
    "Still love to see the amber and red warning bar that was a unique/ clean design."
    In the previous version there was a choice of speedometer views. Is it possible to leave the current speedometer view and the old one as an option?