Cannot install USA Map after 99% downloaded — TomTom Community

Cannot install USA Map after 99% downloaded

EvelynKiangEvelynKiang Posts: 7 [Novice Seeker]
I am making a trip to US and tried 5 times to download map of USA.
It failed 5 times (...error, update failed...please contact TomTom/Support if it happens again....etc)
It failed at 99% downloaded ...please help.
I have no problem installing map of Canada.

Comments

• VikramKVikramK Posts: 11,637 Moderator
    edited January 2020
    Hi @EvelynKiang

Welcome to the community!

Looks like there is not enough space to install the full USA map to the internal memory of the device.

You can choose to expand the memory by adding a class 10 memory card or the second option would be to install a very small map of Venezuela. Then remove any other maps that are installed. Finally try installing the USA map again.

Regards
    Vikram
  • EvelynKiangEvelynKiang Posts: 7 [Novice Seeker]
    Hi Vikram, the size of USA Map is about 6G, and the Go 520 said it has 8.6G. what else can I do?
    And actually the first time I tried, the Go 520 had more than 15G. USA Map failed to install then. Someone needs to check on the USA Map download and installation file.

I have successfully downloaded and installed Canada, Germany, Austria, and Switzerland subsequent to that. :-)
    edited January 2020
    Hi EvelynKiang

Considering the map file to have a problem won't be appropriate, we would have created a ticket for it (The map was released back in November 2019.)

I agree that the USA map is around 6GB but when map installation fails at 99% it often happens when there is not enough space.

Have you tried the second suggestion I advised above- To just have the map of Venezuela installed on the internal memory and then start a fresh download of the USA map ?

Regards
    Vikram
    Yes, deleted all maps and downloaded Venezuela map.
    USA Map still failed ....after 99%...

Funny thing is that Canada, Mexico, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, and even South East Asia maps can be installed thereafter. But not USA Map.
    edited January 2020
    Hi EvelynKiang

Looks like last updates failed with an error related to internet connectivity.

- Aggressive anti-virus / firewalls.
    - Poor wi-fi connection.
    - ISP (Internet Service Provider) or router issues. This also includes business networks.

If you are installing updates over the WiFi then I would suggest that you switch to a wired internet connection through a desktop using MyDrive Connect.

See this FAQ-

https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22781

Under- USING MYDRIVE CONNECT AS AN ALTERNATIVE TO A WI-FI® CONNECTION

Regards
    Vikram
    1. Error from clicking the given link as above:

"Sorry, the site you were looking for doesn't exist. (500 error)
    The webpage you are looking for is either temporarily unavailable or has been removed. If you typed the address, make sure you haven't made a typing mistake.

You can also click on one of the links below to go directly to the page you are looking for, or you can go to the TomTom support page ."

2. Not network issue: If it is network issue, then I should face same error (...failed...) when downloading and installing maps of Canada & Alaska, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, and South East Asia. But these maps were downloaded and installed successfully. Hence the network is fine....for other maps except USA Map....sigh

3. And MyDrive current version does not do updating. When started, its one and only page says to use Wifi for update.... and gives a link to learn how to use wifi to update on Go 520...lol

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 7,758
    Superuser
    edited January 2020
    Hi @EvelynKiang

Re No 1

I would suggest that you try copying the link into another browser to see if it works then. The links works fine on my PC.

Re No 3

When you get the Screen saying use the Wifi for update you then do nothing on the PC other than have it remain connected to your GO520. You now use the menu icons on the GO520 to do any updates just as you have been doing up to now..

You are only using the connection to the PC as access to the Internet and is a method used if there are Wifi problems or there is no Wifi in the property but wired connections.

What is happening with USA map is odd as I have not seen any other reports of this happening and the map download works fine on my unit.

Doug