RDS-TMC receiver usage in a different country to the one it was purchased in — TomTom Community

RDS-TMC receiver usage in a different country to the one it was purchased in

Hey Guys

Since moving to Oz, i have lost my Live services due to Oz taking down 2g services. I've been advised by TT cust support to look at the RDS-TMC receiver - However, it appears no one in Oz sells it. There could be good reason for that but i'm not getting far with TT support. Ultimately i have seen them for sale in other countries but it is not clear to me whether it will work in Oz.

I am seeing conflicting information regarding the use of the receiver - Which one is correct?

https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5826/~/rds-tmc-coverage:

Note: You can only use RDS-TMC in the region where you purchased your device.

or

from the instruction manual:

Setting the country
If you are driving close to a country border, your TomTom
device may tune to a radio station from a neigbouring
country. If this happens you will only receive RDS-TMC
traffic information for the neighbouring country.
To avoid tuning to a radio station in another country, set the
required country as follows:
1. Tap the screen to open the Main Menu.
2. Tap TomTom Traffic.
3. Tap Select RDS-TMC country.
4. Select the country that you want to receive traffic reports
for.
Your TomTom device searches for a radio station located in
the country you have chosen.
Tagged:

Comments

• dhndhn Posts: 33,326
    Superusers
    I do know that some years ago I took a Tomtom device with a RDS-TMC antenna from Canada to Italy for a trip and it worked fine.
  • elbow27elbow27 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Seeker]
    dhn wrote: »
    I do know that some years ago I took a Tomtom device with a RDS-TMC antenna from Canada to Italy for a trip and it worked fine.

hey thanks for the info, i am tempted to buy one from the US - i dont see why they shouldn't work :)
  • bigbig Posts: 1,628
    Superuser
    Unlike TomTom's live traffic, the RDS-TMC receivers aren't restricted by TomTom -- in other words if you have a receiver which works in the country where you're traveling and it is compatible with your TomTom model, then it will work. There are some incompatibilities so make sure the part number you buy is the part number recommended by TomTom.

It's not nearly as good as TomTom's own traffic but it is better than nothing.