Bluetooth on both tomtom, phone and car? — TomTom Community

Bluetooth on both tomtom, phone and car?

Hello :-)
Can i have both my car-bluetooth and the tomtom GO basic connected to my phone at the same time? I stream music from my phone to the car-stereo and the tomtom-device needs to use my bluetooth-connection for traffic... Does the tomtom-device "know" that it is not supposed to work as BT-speaker.
I read that the tomtom GO can display smartphone messages - which messages? Only SMS-Text or Messenger as well?

Answers

• dmulvdmulv Posts: 666
    Superuser
    edited January 2020
    Yes to all, really.

Bluetooth makes use of distinct profiles. So for example on your phone, there will be one for phone calls, one for data transfer, one for audio, etc.. The important thing is that each profile can be connected to a different device.

When driving I have my phone connected to the car for phone calls and audio, and to the TomTom for messages. I also occasionally connect the TomTom to my phone's data profile when I tether for updates.

I can't talk for Android, but for my iPhone the TomTom displays messages from SMS, iMessage, Facebook Messenger and WhatsApp.
  • swompdonkeyswompdonkey Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    edited January 2020
    i find if i use my hands free and my tomtom at the same time i lose connection and have to unpair and repair so it will connect again
  • bigbig Posts: 1,628
    Superuser
    i find if i use my hands free and my tomtom at the same time i lose connection and have to unpair and repair so it will connect again
    Not to imply the bluetooth connections are the epitome of stability but they are usually pretty good as long as you are not using an iPhone with iOS 13. I've never had a problem with the handsfree knocking off the data connection. They are two different connections and one should not (and does not, for me anyhow) affect the other.