Continual speed camera update message - Tomtom Basic 5 — TomTom Community

Continual speed camera update message - Tomtom Basic 5

Hi

My Basic 5 continually tells me that speed camera updates are available, always the same size, 5.76MB.

When I try to update, I get error message "Oops something's gone wrong...". After trying multiple times it seems that the device HAS downloaded the updates (progress dial reaches 100%) and then installed them (another progress dial which again reaches 100%). Then a screen will appear saying that my device is now up to date. However, next time it starts or shuts down I get the same update message again, same size etc!

I have turned this update Off in settings, but within a second of turning it Off, it turns itself On again. I have also gone into the speed camera country list and turned off every country and then pressed the Back button which takes me back to the update screen, which shows the button off, but it will AGAIN turn On after a second or two. I've even tried unticking every country and then going straight to the map screen, but the update has turned itself on again.

I'm not remotely interested in speed cameras!

Connecting my device to my laptop does nothing as the MyDrive application is useless and simply tells me that I can update wirelessly.

This is driving me MAD!

Does anyone have a workable solution to this?

Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,186
    Superuser
    Hi @55bb

Firstly the Basic 5 is designed to do all updating either by directly connecting the device to your Wifi. The alternative method, should your Wifi download speed be low or you have no local is to connect the Device to your PC with the My Drive Connect software running. In this case the connection is only to enable the device yo have access to the Internet via your PC and when the Fish screen appears then you ignore the PC and use the menu options on the GO base to manage the Updating or adding of new items.

Regarding the Speed Cameras update file this is usually released at least weekly and whilst the size of the fie may appear to be the same or similar it does contain changes in the Cameras data. Beraing in mind that the file covers the whole of Europe it would take lots of changes for the file size to change significantly.

If you wish ignore he update offered.

Doug
  • 55bb55bb Posts: 7 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Hi Doug

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I want to ignore this and every update to the speed cameras but I get the update notice every time the device starts up or shuts down, which is incredibly annoying.

I read on a Tomtom support page that the speed cameras could be completely removed via the computer and the Mydrive Connect software, hence me installing it, but no option exists.

Thanks
  • LochfrassLochfrass Posts: 12,639
    Superuser
    Set the device to factory settings.
    Menu/settings/system/reset device.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,186
    Superuser
    Hi @55bb

Whilst you are advised at the bottom of the screen when you first tin on that there are updates you can just ignore it. If it is saying there are more than one update then check to see if the other update is an Operating, map or Mapshare update,

You could try contacting Customer D+Support and ask if they can stop the Update appearing. Personally I would not stop it.

United Kingdom
    02079 490 134
    Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.

Doug
    Hi Doug

It's always the same update regarding traffic cameras. No other updates.
    Lochfrass wrote: »
    Set the device to factory settings.
    Menu/settings/system/reset device.

Hi

Have already done several resets since getting it a few weeks ago.