MyDrive Connect hangs at 'Getting ready' stage — TomTom Community

MyDrive Connect hangs at 'Getting ready' stage

Alan_in_HemelAlan_in_Hemel Posts: 9 [Apprentice Traveler]
edited February 10 in MyDrive Connect
When trying to update my TomTom I find the MyDrive Connect application hangs at Getting ready. this is after I have succesfully connected the Sat Nav and viewed and selected the updates. The only cure seems to be to reboot both the TomTom and the PC and try again. This happens on two different TomTom devices and two different PC's so it is not related to just one device. Any suggestions?

Best Answers

Answers

• Alan_in_HemelAlan_in_Hemel Posts: 9 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Doug

Thanks that has worked this time. However neither update was large so it is strange why selecting both should cause the application to hang. Is this something TomTom are aware of and is there likely to be a fix?

Alan
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 5,640
    Superuser
    Hi @Alan_in_Hemel

The problem does not always manifest itself. It is recommended that updates are done one at a time. It is also a good idea when they have all been done that you do a Soft Reset ie when finished and the unit is on hold the On/Off button down for about 20 seconds plus until you hear the drumroll sound then let button go. The device will restart and tidy up the files whilst doing that.

Glad you are sorted. .

Doug
    The problem happened again. This time I end up with the message: 'Our servers are bust right now, please try again later'. Really frustrating.
    Hi YamFazMan

Sorted thanks. Until the next time. I do seem to have uninstalled and reinstalled TomTom software far more than any other, I wonder why that is.
  • filbertfilbert Posts: 19 [Apprentice Traveler]
    YamFazMan wrote: »
    Hi
    @Alan_in_Hemel

On the rare occasions I have a problem with myDrive Connect
    I Delete MyDrive Connect using the free version of Revo Uninstaller
    If you're using a Windows PC... Delete MyDrive Connect using the free version of Revo Uninstaller
    If you're using a Mac... Surely there must be a Deep Clean Un-installer Program available for a Mac ???

Yes, I use AppCleaner (https://freemacsoft.net/appcleaner/), seems to work well. Other apps are available in the Appstore.
    Mac OS doesn't embed software as deeply as Windows, there's no registry, for example. So simply deleting the app folder is often enough.
    Having tried all the suggestions above the problem keeps returning. Today I have rebooted the SatNav and the PC but still the problem persists and I am unable to update the TomTom. I am starting to think I might have to reinstall the software monthly to keep it working. This is ridiculous.
  • IanCarbarnsIanCarbarns Posts: 1 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Another cause for this is trying to update when connected via a VPN service. Need to turn VPN off before starting MyDrive or connecting device.
    Thanks but I am not connected via VPN. I am using home broadband connected to the router via an ethernet cable.
    I attempted to update my TomTom today and the problem of hanging still persisted. I therefore uninstalled TomTom MyDrive Connect and re-installed it again. Update worked. This is all getting rather silly. How do I raise this as a formal issue with TomTom?
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,089
    Superusers
    Hi
    @Alan_in_Hemel

Ring Tomtom support United Kingdom
    02079 490 134
    Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.

ATB YFM
    I have now adopted a process of updating my TomTom at the end of each month and re-installing the software to enable me to do that. This is also the process for my daughter and her TomTom using her laptop, so I know it is not unique to me. Next time we are buying Garmins.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,089
    Superusers
    edited May 1
    Hi
    @Alan_in_Hemel
    Glad you're sorted :)
    If you're getting fed-up with UN-installing & RE-installing MyDrive Connect
    I find deleting the "HOME3" and the "MyDrive Connect" folders in the MyDrive Connect Program... To be just as effective for giving MyDrive Connect a CPR...
    See...https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1686214/#Comment_1686214
    I'm on a Mac but have found the two folders you mentioned (Home3 and MyDriveConnect) and deleted them. Hurrah.. that's done the trick after a couple of frustrating weeks I've updated it successfully.
    Many thanks for the advice.

On a Mac....
    The "HOME3" and the "MyDrive Connect" folders are located here...
    MacOS: Users\Username\Library\Application Support\TomTom\

ATB YFM
    Thanks YamFazMan, I found the two folders in my user local drive:
    C:\Users\alanc\AppData\Local\TomTom
    There were no updates today as I updated yesterday but I will test this when I can and let you know how it goes.