Connection lost of 8% update of the software to my VIA52 device. — TomTom Community

Connection lost of 8% update of the software to my VIA52 device.

JAMvanRietveldJAMvanRietveld Posts: 5 [Apprentice Seeker]
I have a Tomtom VIA 52 with lifetime map support and this is the first time that i try to update the map. At first I had 7 files in my update set waiting. With MyDrive Connect I have downloaded the files to my computer without problems but updating them to my device is another story.
The smaller files like voices, navcore and radar do update. The Tomtom VIA 52 doesn't find the map anymore. I use the Tomtom USB cable for updating but after about 30 seconds the installation is broking and the connection is lost while trying to update the map of Europe. Adding a micro SD to the device did not help either. Any help is welcome,

Beste regards,
Johan

Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,383
    Superuser
    edited January 2
    Hi @JAMvanRietveld

What size Micro SD Class 10 card did you add? Suggest minimum 16gb max 32gb Did you format the card for maps in the Via 52?

Doug
  • JAMvanRietveldJAMvanRietveld Posts: 5 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Hi Doug, Thank you for the quick response. The micro SD card is a new 16GB just out of the box.

Johan
    Superuser
    Hi @JAMvanRietveld

Did you format it in the Via 52 for maps.

Doug
    The microSD card has two folder at this time: navkit_tombstones and .android_secure
    the former had files like ttcrashlog-17.12.14-20200102T102142.txt. See the attachment for more info.
    Superuser
    Hi @JAMvanRietveld

Could you try the following.

Format the Card in your PC to Fat32 doing a Full Format and not a Quick Format. Then install the card in the Via52. You should be asked by the Via 52 to format the card and select for Maps when it is, If you do not get asked then

Tap Menu
    Tap Settings
    Tap System
    Tap Format Memory Card

Now when you have done this do a Soft Reset ie with the unit on Hold the ON/OFF button down for about 20 seconds plus until you hear the drumroll sound then let the button go. The device will restart. Now connect the device to the PC with My Drive Connect running and when the software detects the device what memory figures does the MDC software say at the top alongside the name of the device is available on the card and internal memory.

Doug
    Hi Doug,

I will try this today.

Cheers,
    Johan
    Hi all,

Formating the micro SD did not do anything to solve it. Finally I was able to update my Tomtom Via 52 by changing computer. I have seen other users having trouble with a Surface Pro on this forum, so I changed from my Microsoft Surface Pro 4 to a Dell M4800 workstation from work. Here i installed the Tomtom software to update of the Europe map. This went without any problem.

Regards,
    Johan