Carminat Live Vauxhall Vivaro 2011 Model — TomTom Community

Carminat Live Vauxhall Vivaro 2011 Model

jasonboundsjasonbounds Posts: 5 [Apprentice Traveler]
edited January 2020 in Built in car navigation
Hi All, after a little help or advice really please, I currently have a Vauxhall Vivaro van same as Renault Trafic, or Nissan Primastar, that is fitted with a Carminat TomTom Live built in system, the Sat Nav screen is fitted above the radio/ CD player, the Sat Nav is controlled by a remote control and the screen has an SD Card slot at the side, the vehicle is a 2011 model, I understand that there is a Vodafone sim card built in to the unit that originally gave the GSM for the live services, unfortunately, the device was not kept up to date by previous owners and the paid live services have stopped working, I have managed to update the SD card and my maps are all up to date, but the live services are not working, does anyone know if it is possible to have the sim card reactivated or renewed to allow for the live services by way of a subscription cost?

I have noted all the details that the system tells me and will list it all below, I really need help with this so any help from TomTom or someone in the know would be a great help.

I would like to keep the van as original as possible as the sat nav was an optional package when the vehicle was originally purchased by whomever, but if I do need to scrap the unit because the sim card option cannot be sorted, then I need to know my options for a replacement unit that would fill the same space and be able to use the GSM Ariel that is on the vans roof, so again any help on replacements would be helpful, I do have access to a dash mounted GO PREMIUM X which we use in the wife's car, but for the van I prefer not to have items like this on show when in and out of vehicle doing deliveries, so an in dash fitted option is a must.

Live Services show as ..... Status – Not Connected
Mcc/mnc – 23415
Sim id – 8931440xxxxxxxx69349
Imei – 355776036685465
Model – L24
Muid – IBxxxxxxxxx42

All the above details are what the system displays and are useless to anyone including myself as the sim is not live and I think would need replacing, this is where I need some help or clarification.

Kind Regards

Jason Bounds

Mod edit: Please don't post private or personal information on a public forum.Thanks!

Answers

• VikramKVikramK Posts: 12,726 Moderator
    @jasonbounds

Hi Jason,

Welcome to the community!

LIVE Services for your TomTom was last active in February 2012 and so the SIM card looks to have been deactivated as mentioned on our website here

For refund related questions please get in touch with our customer service.

Regards
    Vikram
  • jasonboundsjasonbounds Posts: 5 [Apprentice Traveler]
    @VikramK Thank you so much for your reply, it's just typical that original owners are not tech savvy enough to keep these types of services going when they spend so much money having an option package like Sat Nav fitted to their newly purchased vehicle at main dealer prices :(

I therefore see that there is nothing I can do to get the Live Services working again but is there any modern option available to me regarding a newer version of a TomTom display for in dash fitting? I know I could go for an aftermarket system but would it be possible to get the current unit sent off to have a new sim card fitted via TomTom or is the current unit a dead loss? Like I said previously, the maps are all updated and the Sat Nav gets me to anywhere really well, but I do prefer all the bells and whistles to be working, so any other help, advice or knowledge, or even your respected thoughts on the best way to go would be amazing.

Kind Regards

Jason Bounds
    Hi Jason

The new range of PND's are suitable to be placed on a dashboard or a windscreen. Unfortunately, no models that can be integrated as a replacement for the built-in device.

As an alternative, we have options in the form of navigation apps if you prefer to use a phone over a PND.

Regards
    Vikram
  • CarminatCarminat Posts: 989 [Revered Pioneer]
    @VikramK - That really is a TOTALLY UNSUITABLE REPLY, and no solution whatsoever. From what he says, Jason doesn't want a refund or an additional standalone PND and would be willing to pay to get the built in Carminat back up and running with Live Services. The matter of de-activating the SIM has been there for years and never once has anybody from TomTom offered the option of replacing the SIM with an active one. WHY ???? Surely, if the customer is prepared to pay the cost of the work, it should be available. Let's face it, Renault had the skill to fit the unit in the first place, so they should be able to fit a new SIM.
    edited January 2020
    Hi @Carminat

For the Carminat LIVE device, TomTom offers- Software, Maps & Services. Nowhere on our website or the support pages, we endorse the repair or replacement of hardware including the SIM.

I am not sure if replacing just the SIM is possible because the SIM id is associated with the device serial number. Our customer service should be able to do an exception to transfer the service over if the replacement of the system is possible.

Carminat wrote: »
    @VikramK - The matter of de-activating the SIM has been there for years and never once has anybody from TomTom offered the option of replacing the SIM with an active one. WHY ????

This SIM card is automatically disconnected after 18 months without use. We’ll make sure to give you 28 days’ notice before this happens to give you the opportunity to reactivate your subscription. From here

If SIM replacement or reactivation was an option there wasn't a need to send 28 days advance notice.

I would agree that my post above is not a solution but rather choices because our support boundaries are limited(software and services).

Regards
    Vikram