how do i speak to someone at Tomtom? — TomTom Community

how do i speak to someone at Tomtom?

Please help my device and my drive is totally screwed up- device shows no map installed - log on to app- will not repair download or do anything
lines are already closed despite helpful sign saying closed tomorrow!
I am struggling to be polite at this stage- exasperation is high
Any ideas

Best Answers

• AlimacAlimac Posts: 16 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @VikramK
    Thanks for the small UK ROI map downloaded it today
    Yes I do need the two maps if I travel to the USA I need the UK map to get home for the traffic situation
    What has changed recently? As I used to be able to have a portion of the Europe map installed
    What I used to do on older models was to swap maps over but I seem unable to move from SD card to the device
    When I check my account on MyDrive Connect i just get the spinning circle
    Thanks again for helping out much appreciated
    Any views on the later models as thinking if I upgrade I may be able to avoid some of the issues?

Thanks for your time

Al

Answers

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 16,127 Superusers
    edited January 1
    Hi
    @Alimac

What Model Tomtom do you have ???
    If its a NAV4 Like a GO 500 its an 8GB Device....
    The latest NAV4 Full Europe Map size is now 8.465GB... Also the fact that the MapZones have now also exceed the 8GB of the NAV4 on-board Memory... This is an unfortunate, but real Catch22 situation....
    See Catch22... See Catch22... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1686043/#Comment_1686043

When @VikramK or @lampard the Forum Moderators return after NewYear Shutdown they should pick this up and allocate a small map to your Account....

If its a GO 510 World Maps model... You can install one of the small Maps onto the devices on-board memory
    Insert a 16 GB or 32 GB Memory Card and install the Full Europe Map onto the Micro SDHC Memory card....

If you wish to just stick with using the internal memory Instead of using a Micro USB Card
    Tomtom have released the Europe map in different Map Cuts (Map zones)... Will any of these new Maps suit your travel requirements ???
    More information Here... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1660206/#Comment_1660206

ATB YFM
    Hi YamFazMan thanks for the reply
    Its a Go 5000, the issue was that download started got all messed up and has totally messed with my device. I am not trying to do a repair on a map (i have 2 installed), which somehow got moved to my SD card somewhile back, not by me and no answer received from Tomtom either. Feel its a shame how the service has gone I've had these devices from over 15 years, just not sure whether to invest in an upgrade now as loosing faith with it.
    I had the cut down maps for Europe but earlier and despite resets no map was showing on device at all! The line should have been open today but!, i accept tomorrow they can have a day off
    Hoping this latest repair on one map (all that was shown) works, been going for over 1 hour already!
    Ok so one map updated my USA map but unable to find the UK and Europe one I'd selected- will try again tomorrow- argh hate when tech lets you down- here's hoping for better in 2020
    Hi
    @Alimac

You're welcome, glad you're nearly sorted :)
    The GO 5000 is also a Catch22 device

ATB YFM
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 4,202 Superuser
    Hi @Alimac

Your GO500 has 8gb internal memory and the operating software must be loaded on that. Any map that is being loaded will be automatically loaded on the internal memory unless there is not enough available free space there in which case the system looks for any extra memory available and if large enough will load the map there.

Over the years the size of the maps has gone up so that because your main map was on the Internal memory eventually the situation arises whereby an update of it will not fit on the internal memory. So when this happens the first thing is the existing map is deleted from the internal memory and the update is loaded onto the extra memory card. This will release a lot of the Internal memory so if at that point you decided to add the UK and ROI map it would as first choice by the software be added to the internal memory as there is now enough free space there for it..

Doug
    Ok so one map updated my USA map but unable to find the UK and Europe one I'd selected- will try again tomorrow- argh hate when tech lets you down- here's hoping for better in 2020
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 4,202 Superuser
    Hi @Alimac

Is the Europe map listed in My Maps in My Content when you log into in My Drive Connect. If so can you install it.

Doug
    edited January 1
    Hi
    @Alimac

The NAV4 GO 5000 was supplied with one Map of the sales area where the device was purchased i.e... UK Devices = Full Europe map, any other Maps were purchased separately
    @VikramK or @lampard the Forum Moderators should pick this up in the Morning Check for any live Map subscriptions and Maybe allocate a small Map to act as a keeper
    See Catch22... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1686043/#Comment_1686043

Later NAV4 & NAV5 (Wif-Fi) devices have 16GB Memory and Free World Maps....

ATB YFM
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 9,007 TomTom Moderator
    Hi @Alimac

I see that you have installed the USA map on the external memory of the device. Since the map of Europe is more than 8 Gig there is not enough space left on the internal or the external memory to install it.

Do you actually need both maps at the same time?

In the meanwhile I have activated a smaller map of UK and ROI for your device, it should be offered for download in MyDrive Connect. Please install this one on the internal memory of the device.

Regards
    Vikram
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @VikramK
    Thanks for the small UK ROI map downloaded it today
    Yes I do need the two maps if I travel to the USA I need the UK map to get home for the traffic situation
    What has changed recently? As I used to be able to have a portion of the Europe map installed
    What I used to do on older models was to swap maps over but I seem unable to move from SD card to the device
    When I check my account on MyDrive Connect i just get the spinning circle
    Thanks again for helping out much appreciated
    Any views on the later models as thinking if I upgrade I may be able to avoid some of the issues?

Thanks for your time

Al