Why is TomTom software so dumb? — TomTom Community

Why is TomTom software so dumb?

I've bought a TT Go520 and want to load POI's but there's no way of doing it, or if there is there's no way of finding out how. If I plug the stupid thing into my computer the screen freezes and tells me I can update via wifi, but How?

Gwd they really don't know how to write intuitive software, they are the most customer unfriendly company on the planet

Best Answers

Answers

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,033
    Superusers
    edited January 2
    Hi
    @gerryTomTom
    Also See 2nd Post... Installing 3rd party POI Categories... You use the MyDrive Web Route planner

The NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices like you’re Go 520 normally update using Wi-Fi...

TomTom Video... Updating your navigation device using Wi-Fi®

If you have successfully connected your device to your Wi-Fi....
    To check your Connection Speed, Signal Strength & Quality
    On the Device... Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Settings --> Wi-Fi
    Tap on the Your Wi-fi name (The one Showing as connected)
    A new Menu Page opens

7g8gwfpx1swt.jpg
    On the left-hand side of the screen is your Wi-Fi Connection Status

Tomtom recommend a minimum Wi-Fi download speed of 30Mbps
    Tomtom NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices will only connect to a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network
    All the update actions are executed on the device...

If Wi-Fi is not available or is slow/unstable/unreliable.....
    See Option... (2) Connect over USB

Option... (1) Connected Wi-Fi
    Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Updates & New Items
    Extra Maps are Installed/Maintained... Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Maps

I always update my devices one Update at a time
    The NavCore Application and QuickFixGPS updates are force ticked by Tomtom... Deselect any other updates like Maps, Speed Cams etc... Update the mandatory item/s first, when complete update the remaining items one at a time

Note... NAV(5 Wifi) devices connected over Wifi do not require MyDrive Connect to be running Even if myDrive is running you have no access the MyDrive Connect menu structures as used by the previous NAV3 & 4 devices

Option... (2) Connected USB
    If Wi-Fi is not available or is slow/unstable/unreliable.....
    Tomtom recommend a minimum Wi-Fi download speed of 30Mbps
    Updating your new NAV5 (Wi-Fi) device over USB will require "MyDrive Connect"
    Get it here.....
    www.tomtom.com/getstarted
    Run MyDrive Connect.....
    Note... The NAV(5 Wifi) devices have no access the MyDrive Menu structures as used by the previous NAV3 & 4 devices
    Connect your Device to a USB Port on your PC
    Updating a NAV5 (Wi-Fi) device using USB is the same as using Wi-Fi, all of the update actions are executed on the device...
    Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Updates & New Items
    Extra Maps are Installed/Maintained... Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Maps

Note... MyDrive Connect will only show a "Splash screen" saying "Connect your device using Wifi" etc
    If required you can close the 'Main Mydrive Window' showing the "Connect your device using Wifi" Splash screen... MyDrive Connect only needs to run in the background on the PC TaskBar

27bxc59f2s23.png
    ATB YFM
    Superusers
    edited January 2
    Hi
    @gerryTomTom

Installing 3rd party POI Categories... You use the MyDrive Web Route planner
    Here... https://mydrive.tomtom.com

See Tomtom Video... How to import POIs, GPX files and Favourites in MyDrive

Displaying Personal POIs on the Driving View/Map
    Be aware... You can't install the POI associated .BMP files
    You can only use the 5 Tomtom supplied generic Icons....

13s1zlb8gssy.jpg
    But you can use one icon for for more than one POI category i.e... place all your fuel categories under one Icon, then if you tap on a nearby 'say' Fuel Icon a Quick menu opens --> Tap the 3Dot Icon for more options & more Information

Setup... After installing your Personal or 3rd party POIs....Tap 4Dot (....Menu) --> Settings --> Appearance --> Show POI lists on the Map
    It says a restart is required, but I've never found it to be necessary
    After choosing the Generic Icon.. Tap the coloured (^) Icon screen top right... Pinch zoom the Map, the Generic POI Icons all appear live and working
    Note... The Generic POI Icons disappear when the Map is highly zoomed out (I guess so you can scroll around a clear Map to find your location)
    The Icon reappear as you zoom back in again

Here the Yellow Pentagon Icons --> National Trust
    fwsmyemsot57.jpg
    Searching an installed 3rd party POI Category....
    The search engine is excellent you usually only need to type around three characters of the POI name for a hit...
    For example... I have loaded the 3rd party POI's for the National Trust... To show the POI's for "National Trust" on the map, work your way down to option (2)

From the main screen
    Tap (....)4Dot Icon (Screen Bottom left)
    Swipe left or Tap the mid/right edge of the screen to go to and tap the MyPlaces Icon
    Scroll down and select the required POI Category For example "National Trust"
    You now have three options
    The Main search area turns blue and "National Trust" is offered with a flashing cursor
    Continue typing the name of the required "National Trust" site, Type Dud (Or as much of the word that's required for Dudmaston Hall appear at the top of the National trust list)
    Tap on the offered Dudmaston Hall and select the Drive Icon

fvvl1hj389eu.jpg
    You also have two further options.....
    After the initial "National Trust" POI selection
    There's a dual Icon (screen bottom right) with Three Lines and Two circles

o7rx4qycdyey.jpg
    (1)..... Tap the three Lines Icon (bottom right screen) and a list will appear of the "National Trust" sites in distance order
    (2)...... Tap the Two circle Icon for the "National Trust" sites POI's to appear on the screen (Pinch zoom for detail) (Note..... On the Start range its easier to tap the plus and minus buttons to zoom the map screen)
    as far as I'm aware it will show the nearest 60ish POI's around your location
    There is also a Keyboard Icon (screen bottom right) to return to the search window from the options (1) and (2)

An example of the generic Icons on the search screen, the Icons are dynamic so the closer you zoom more icons appear

j381fa0ut3qg.jpg
    ATB YFM
  • gerryTomTomgerryTomTom Posts: 9 [Apprentice Traveler]
    The only problem is when I go to MyDrive it shows my old TT Camper 1005 which died two years ago. If I then try to add my new device it says "Pllease connect your device" when I do MyDrive freezes "Update the Easy Way". end of story
    Superusers
    edited January 2
    Hi
    @gerryTomTom

Maybe @VikramK or @lampard the Forum Moderators will pick this up and delete the obsolete device from your account and check the current status of your Account....

ATB YFM
    I tried creating a new account, which was fine, it said "Add your Device" I pressed the button , it said "Connect your Device" I did .

Then it freezes and says "Update the Easy Way" and refuses to allow any further interaction until I disconnect the device.

They just don't know how to write software.
    I think I'll sell it off on Fleabay and buy a Garmin 780
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 5,457
    Superuser
    edited January 20
    Hi @gerryTomTom

When you attach your Wifi device to your PC with My Drive Connect running on it and you getting the screen saying Update by Wifi you don't do anything on the PC but then use the Menu Options on the device to manage what to do.

Ie you then
    Tap Menu
    Tap Settings
    Tap Update and new Items
    Then select any available updates listed one at a time.

You have to be logged into your account on the Device whilst you do this.

Doug
    Thanks Doug, yeah tried that too.... But it then says "Your Device is Up to Date" and I can't get it to put POI's on.
    Superuser
    edited January 2
    Hi @gerryTomTom

Regarding adding POI files you do not add them directly to your Device but follow the advice in the Video posted earlier.

You go to the My Drive webpage

https://mydrive.tomtom.com

You log into your account and then click on the My Places Icon (3rd one down on the lefthand side)

Now Tap Poi files ( Next to Favourites) at the top of the submenu that appears and you will have an option to Add Poi files. Click on that and you then go to your PC's files and select and attach the Poi files that are saved on your PC one at a time. When you have finished adding the Poi files to your Account then if you turn on your Device and when it connects to your Wifi and logs into you account the POI files are copied to the device. They appear listed on the device in the My Places folder below the list of My Places you may have saved.

Regarding your device saying it is up to date what map reference have you got on it is it 10.40 if s it is up to date. If not a call to Customer Support to ensure your account is correct would be an idea.

Also try a soft reset to see if and updates then appear. With the unit on and ready hold the ON/OFF button down for about 20 seconds plus until your hear the drumroll sound then let the button go. The device will restart.

Doug
    I'm sure the problem stems from my old dead TT 1005 Go/Live still appearing on my drive. I can't delete it and I can't get to put POI's on
    mxoxwjl9mwzb.jpg

The problem there is no third icon on the left hand side!
    Doug You're a HERO! I've just twigged it, they have been saying log on to MyDrive and so I opened the app on my laptop and logged on.

But I was blind to the fact it should be the MyDrive Web Page. Not the app of the same name!!!!!

Many Many Thanks
    Thanks YamFaz I'm sorry to be so dense, the problem stemmed from the App I installed years ago from TT called MyDrive which launches and asks me to log on when I connect my SatNav. I simplistically logged on and then expected to communicate with my SatNav, but it wouldn't recognise it. FRUSTRATION or what?

It always worked just fine with TT 1005 Go which died 18 months ago in Spain. So I bought the new GO 520WiFi and that's when the problems started. I couldn't load the same POI file I had on the previous SatNav.

The confusion is caused by the MyDrive name, I knew it as the App I signed onto, but it's now an identically named WebService.

However TT should have thought it thru better, anyone who already has the App installed will run into the same problem, plug the SatNav in and the App launches. It's not unreasonable IMHO that you assume when it asks you to log on that is what you do.
    Superuser
    edited January 2
    Hi @gerryTomTom
    =)=) Rest assured your not the first to do that .

Now when you add POI files you cannot add the .BMP files which gave you specific icons for the poi's on the map. You have to use one of the 5 specific icons available. If you have a few POI files then if you can allocate the same icon to a related set of POI files then when they display on the Map you can Tap the icon and see which Shop or National Trust site etc the POI position is.

Doug
  • MountskipMountskip Posts: 2 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Regarding the heading for this chat, I think it the most appropriate title for my disappointment with my Go620 wifi, bought to replace a GO LIVE 82O which has reucently been dropped from support. The Go620 software was so much better for navigation, you could enter avoid motorways for this journey with a couple of key taps, and planning a route from one remote place to another was so simple. Avoiding motorways on the Go620 requires going into Settings, Route planning, and then having to make a permanent change, then having to be repeated for your next trip including motorway. I have found no way of planning a remote route, when planning a continental tour. It was imho a large backward step. Such added complication, functioning like a mini computer accessing items nothing to do with navigation. If I want such complication I will use a tablet. I find myself using Google maps, or Waze in preference. I regret buying the Go 620, which will be my last TT.
  • MountskipMountskip Posts: 2 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Sorry, typo, the start of the second paragraph, (line 3), should not read Go620 but Go Live 820.

Superusers
    edited January 17
    Hi
    @Mountskip

Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Setting --> Route planning
    The 1st Section of the Route planning Menu Screen applies when you have already planned a route and you are driving the Route
    On the Live Tomtom Devices 'When a faster route become available' the device will....
    Option... (1) = 'Don't ask me' --> Always take the Fastest route
    Option... (2) = 'Always ask me' --> Before taking the Fastest route
    Option... (3) = 'Don't Ask me at all' -->Stick to the planned Route

Route planning screen... Section (1)
    kxgfxxwo4v6x.jpg
    The 2nd Section of the Route planning Menu is the default Route planning type for ALL Route planning
    Option... (1) = Fastest route
    Option... (2) = Shortest route
    Option... (3) = Most eco-friendly route
    Etc... Etc...

Route planning screen... Section (2)
    nu9smvp50o9f.jpgRoute planning screen... Section (3)3zs4gzvd3d7h.jpgThe earlier Devices required me to enter my Route type every time, but at least 95% of my journeys I would choose the Fastest Route + Motorways

The earlier NAV2/3 devices are Menu focused
    Asking all of the questions and button pushing at the start... Then device planned the route

The Latest NAV4/5 (Wi-Fi) devices are Map Centric (Tomtom Speak)
    The Route planning has the highest priority (95% of the time I want the Fastest Route... Job Done)
    On the odd occasions I want something different, say I want to 'Avoid Motorways'...
    After Planning and Calculating the route
    I Tap the 4Dot (....) Menu --> Current Route --> Avoid Road Types... Choose Route Type required 'Like' (Avoid Motorways) the device recalculates the route avoiding Motorways
    zn181cgokd5x.jpgSee GO 620 User Guide....
    http://download.tomtom.com/open/manuals/gox20x/index.htm
    ATB YFM