No Tomtom Traffic / GPRS on Tomtom 5200 known issue?! — TomTom Community

No Tomtom Traffic / GPRS on Tomtom 5200 known issue?!

Hi all, I purchased a TomTom GO 5200 Wi-Fi in July 2017, just before the summer holiday. We don't use navigation often but it seemed to work fine on that holiday trip. After some months I noticed it didn't warn me for traffic jams while on the motorway, although traffic jammed and I was promised real-time traffic info. Thought it was a temporary issue in the network or some thing that would resolve. Eventually I discovered it always worked when it picked up the Wi-Fi at home (in the car). It also worked fine via my phone hot-spot but it almost never had a GPRS connection. So finally I contacted TomTom in May 2018.

TomTom Support had me reset the device in all the ways they could think of, to no avail. So they let me send in the device. When it came back I turned on my TomTom GO and it seemed to have received an old software version and no maps. The accompanying note said they weren't able to find any problem but updated my device to the latest software and maps (they did not). Nevertheless, GPRS worked again so I did all the updates, settings and downloading. During our 2018 summer holiday the TomTom Traffic worked fine, until we arrived in the country of destination. Contacted TomTom from there, went through the factory reset, soft reset drill. Didn't solve the problem.

Since then our TomTom very, very sporadically shows a GPRS connection. Last weekend I decided to try and find out what is going on and performed a "factory reset". To my surprise that didn't really reset it to like when it left the factory. Instead it kept the installed software and map and apparently did so by design. So I put it in recovery mode and re-installed it via TomTom MyDrive Connect and USB. Same result: current software and maps. And still no GPRS. Restarted it many times, played with many settings and then managed to have it connect to GPRS once, for about one minute. Then is disconnected and stayed that way. Something was definitely wrong.

So I contacted TomTom Support again last Tuesday. Same drill, second line again. Next day the answer came from 2nd line: this is a known issue to which they have no solution. What..?

Can someone please enlighten me what is going on here? Check my account maybe? Thank you!

Hardware: prato_5in
GPS type: WGR7640
GPRS-model: 16.01.202

Answers

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 15,819 Superusers
    edited December 2019
    Hi
    @durtelang

Are you at home and within range of you Wi-Fi ???
    Your Wi-fi will take priority for the connection to Tomtom Services & Live Traffic

If you Tap the 4Dot(…. Menu) --Setting --> System --> About... Scroll down
    Your Data Connection will show... Data Connection 'Wi-fi'

If your using your PC USB port for Power
    Close MyDrive Connect, if its running the USB Connection will will take priority over GPRS for the connection to Tomtom Services & Live Traffic
    Your Data Connection will show... Data Connection 'USB'

Are you using the cars Dashboard USB Port to power your device ??? see bullet-point (1) in the link below
    See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1665504/#Comment_1665504

You can
    (1)… Forget the Wi-fi on the device....
    You can't actually turnoff the Wi-Fi but you can forget it, the device will still be monitoring for a Wi-Fi service but not connecting

Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Setting --> Wi-Fi... Tap on your Wi-Fi's Name (Screen top left)
    Tap Modify --> Forget
    Follow on-screen instructions to finishCheck your GPRS Status again....

If you Tap the 4Dot(…. Menu) --Setting --> System --> About... Scroll down
    Does your Data Connection now show... GPRS ???

(2)... Move out of Range of your Wi--Fi the GPRS (SIM) will take priority for the connection to Tomtom Services & Live Traffic

ATB YFM
  • durtelangdurtelang Posts: 6 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Hi YamFazMan, thank you for taking the time to answer.

I understand that Tomtom Traffic also works over Wi-Fi and that Wi-Fi data probably will take priority. But I cannot really check what Wi-Fi does with the GPRS connection as the GPRS Status almost always shows "Disconnected", no matter what.

I use a dedicated Wi-Fi network that I can turn off at will from my Unifi controller (to avoid having to "forget" after I have set it up). I think that compares to "moving out of Range".

For power I use an AC adapter. On my PC I only start MyDrive Connect when I need it. Likewise I use the USB connection for data when I need it.

My car does not have a Dashboard USB connector. The TomTom connects to a 12V adapter in the car.

When I turn off Wi-Fi (the network) and do not connect to any USB, the GPRS Status shows "Disconnected". On rare occasions it does connect to GPRS. It happened last night at home, for even more than a minute. And I saw it change from two bars to all four, apparently switching towers. So it's not like our house is out of mobile phone mast range. When the device is capable it can connect.

You did not mention Bluetooth as one of the alternate means of data connection. And I actually have never used Bluetooth on the Tomtom. So I tried to connect my iPhone now and saw some strange behaviour.

iausqsopnqty.gif

Will this give anyone any clue? Thanks for your help!
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 15,819 Superusers
    Hi
    @durtelang

Is your Phone an iPhone running v iOS 13 if 'Yes'... Users are finding iOS 13 and Tomtom devices problematic....

ATB YFM
    Yes, it's on 13. So maybe these are separate issues. Or maybe not.

Still, my device should show Traffic info over GPRS.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 3,985 Superuser
    Hi @durteloa

The GO5200 has an inbuilt Mobile Sim and is the primary method by which the device should connect to the Tomtom Servers for traffic etc.

The Data fro Traffic and other services option you show in you Bluetooth video should not connect and work unless the Inbuilt mobile Sim is inactive. Also as it is a GO5200 I would expect a 3rd Bluetooth option saying Smartphone Messaging so what Operating Software version have you got on your unit.

Tap Menu
    Tap Settings
    Tap System
    Tap About
    What Application version is quoted.

@yamfazman is quite correct that there are problems with the Bluetooth connections with Apple IOS13. If you still had IOS12 loaded and the current version of My Drive App open on your Phone then all 3 Bluetooth options should work okay. If you update to IOS13 and have the current My Drive App open on the phone whilst the handsfree connection seems to work fine the other 2 options ie Data and messages do not connect or if they do drop out very quick. Apple have issued numerous updates to IOS13 to correct the numerous bugs and Tomtom have said that they are keeping an eye on all the further updates and reviewing their My Drive App to try and resolve the difficulties being experienced.

It might be an idea to contact customer support and ask them to check the inbuilt sims settings at their end . When you ring do not answer the questions but wait for an agent to answer.

Nederland (Holland)
    020 850 1022
    Maandag t/m vrijdag : 09:00 tot 17:30

Doug
    edited December 2019
    Thanks for the comments @DougLap

I revived an old iPhone 5S that is stuck on the latest iOS 12 and can confirm that the connection problems are indeed iOS 13 related. With the old iPhone Bluetooth worked without a problem and I was able to use the Bluetooth data connection for Traffic. Nice to know, but it does not solve my problem. It even takes away a workaround that I could have had since the iPhone in use is on iOS 13. The Inbuilt SIM is rarely active.

Sure I contacted TomTom Support by phone already in 2018. Checking the GPRS settings on their end was exactly what I suggested back then. They said they did and then let me send in the device. Now I called again (to the new number you quoted) and after a day Second Line reported back to my contact that this is a known issue and that they have no solution. So First Line updated me with that answer and closed the ticket. :angry:

Application version is 19.201.0010.411, see pic below.

Thanks for your concern!

2qa6gvhg6sno.jpg
    @VikramK, @lampard: would it be possible for you to check my subscriptions?

Thank you!
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 8,790 TomTom Moderator
    Hi @durtelang

I don't find a device linked to your TomTom account on the forum.

Could you send me the serial number of your device through a private message.

Regards
    Vikram
    Hi VikramK,

I have sent you the serial number, Please let me know if you need anything else.

Thank you very much!
  • IwasahappyuserIwasahappyuser Posts: 0 [New Seeker]
    I have got the same 5200 and got the same problem, if there is a solution please let me
    know **** well