Why no compass or altitude on Rider 550? — TomTom Community

Why no compass or altitude on Rider 550?

Powerful PierrePowerful Pierre Posts: 6 [Master Traveler]
edited January 30 in RIDER
I've been using my rider 550 for a year now and I'm generally pleased with it and over time I've learnt how to use it as the tool I require rather than have it dictate routes etc. It has never been as intuitive as the unit it replaced, which had IGO software and none of the gimmicks I can happily live without eg the 'plan a thrill' option. But what I am missing tho' is the compass and altitude functions - why aren't these basic functions included, surely such fundamental info should have been included on a GPS navigation tool? Even the basic satnav in my car has these functions included.

Answers

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,062
    Superusers
    edited December 2019
    Hi
    @Powerful Pierre

It’s not a Compass as such, It's a Direction of travel indicator

It works on exactly the same principal as the one that Captain Jack Sparrow uses to navigate the Black Pearl ;)

When you are driving the small Arrow head chevron, above the plus and minus signs points to your Direction of travel

myun33odwjpq.png
    If you imagine you are looking at a Paper Map of the World and your located in the UK

The North-Pole.... Is at the top & the arrow points Up
    You're heading North

The South-Pole.... Is at the bottom & the arrow points Down
    You're heading South

Canada.... Is on the Left (West) & the arrow points Left
    You're heading West

China.... Is on the Right (East) & the arrow points Right
    You're heading East

And obviously, all points of the compass in between, as in the example
    Greenland....Is halfway between Up and Left & the arrow points 45 degrees between Up/Left
    The arrow is pointing 45 degrees Up/Left
    You're heading North West

ATB YFM
  • Powerful PierrePowerful Pierre Posts: 6 [Master Traveler]
    Well now, there's a thing! Learn something new every day....can't say I'd ever noticed that arrow moving but just run a track and can now see what it does.....but why are they so coy about it? Its pretty crude but better than nowt!

So that one's solved, now how about the altitude? Don't tell me that's hidden somewhere as well!

Cheers mate!
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,062
    Superusers
    Hi
    @Powerful Pierre

One down one to go...
    You're welcome, glad you're nearly sorted :)

ATB YFM
  • miketorcymiketorcy Posts: 3,344
    Superusers
    Altitude is missing on all Tomtom model!
  • Powerful PierrePowerful Pierre Posts: 6 [Master Traveler]
    Is that it?

Seems like a glaring omission of a basic function on a satnav device!
  • ST1300_PanEuropeanST1300_PanEuropean Posts: 80 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    GPS derived altitude is something that is certainly of interest to motorcycle riders ('cause we're out there exposed to the elements, and temperature changes with altitude), but it's not something that is of interest to very many automobile drivers.

It's also something that is of no interest at all to Dutch people, because the altitude is always either 0 or something below zero when riding in Netherlands :) (OK, maybe Limburg excepted), and as we all know, TomTom is a Dutch company.

My guess is that all TomTom devices use a common software package for the user interface and drawing the screen, and it might be cumbersome to modify the software for just one device (the motorcycle-oriented Rider) in order to display altitude.

Michael