Not enough memory space for maps update. — TomTom Community

Not enough memory space for maps update.

I have a GO 5000 with an SD card containing over 14GB free space and yet when I try and update the maps - about 6.5GB size, the My connect says I don't have enough space and should remove some existing items.
What then is the point of the SD card if it cannot be used for map updates?

Best Answers

Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 4,015 Superuser
    Hi @HHGTTG

Just checking.

Is the My Connect software seeing the card and displaying the free space figure you are showing.
    Have you formatted the card in the GO5000 for maps.
    Have you got a map on the internal memory
    If you have more than one map are you asking it to update them all in one go rather than one at a time.

Doug.
  • HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 49 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    Hi. Yes My Connect is seeing my SD card and 14GB available space. SD card has been formatted on my Tom Tom.
    Yes, I have complete European maps on Internal memory.
    I assume I'm asking to update all existing maps. There is no option to choose which ones to update only uninstalling items or map to free up space.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 4,015 Superuser
    edited December 2019
    Hi @HHGTTG

The GO5000 only has 8gb of internal memory and if you have the European map on the internal memory that would suggest you have not updated it for a long time as the current version is circa 9.3gb or that you have one of the recently offered European mapzone on the device.

The European map comes as one map not individual maps for the European countries.

Have you got another major branded micro SD class 10 card you can try, recommend a Sandisk , Samsung or similar big brand, as some of the more obscure makes have been known to have the odd hiccup.

Also when you formatted it on the PC did you fully Format it to Fat32.

Doug
    I don't think I formatted it externally on a PC but instead used my TomTom's built in formatting facility.
    Earlier I went into Settings/format and tried to re format it, only to be told it is already formatted.
    Thanks Doug for your help. Am at this moment formatting on my PC and fully formatting. Will have to wait until after Christmas to get another SD card. Or perhaps not as can get one by this weekend apparently from Amazon.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 15,860 Superusers
    edited 1:11PM
    Hi
    @HHGTTG

Catch22....
    On the early NAV4 devices you were allowed ONE Map with Lifetime updates pre-installed on the device... The early Maps fitted easily onto 8GB on-board Memory, but the Map sizes increases with every update... Now the 8GB limit on-board Memory size on the NAV4 devices is an unfortunate, but real Catch22 situation....

If there is enough free space the devices Internal Memory MyDrive Connect will always install the Map onto the internal Memory
    You would need to install a small/er Map to force a Map install onto the Micro SDHC Memory card

400 MB is considered the bare minimum Free Working Space
    The more Free Space the faster the device will operate
    Check Free Space... Check... Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Setting --> System --> About... Scroll down to Free Space....

The latest NAV4 Full Europe Map size is now around 9GB... Also the fact that the MapZones have now also exceed the 8GB of the NAV4 on-board Memory... This is an unfortunate, but real Catch22 situation....

Install a 16GB or 32GB Class 10 Micro SDHC Memory Card....
    The Memory Card can only contain Maps or be used to transfer Planned .ITN or .GPX Routes
    The Map cannot be split across the on-board Memory and a Micro SDHC Card... For the new larger Maps maps you need to install a Branded Class 10 Micro SDHC memory card
    The latest Full Europe Map is around 9GB so a 8GB Memory Card is useless, a 16GB or 32GB is required (32GB is the Max size Class 10 Micro SDHC Card for a Tomtom device)

Catch22 situation No Maps Found Error....
    Tomtom are allocating a small map to install on the on-board Memory of the NAV4 devices, to give access to the Micro SDHC Card Format Option
    The advantage of the small Map would be plenty of working space on the device (400 MB is considered the minimum Free Space the more Free Space the faster the device will operate)...
    The smaller map will also act as a 'Keeper' This will enable the device to keep running on the smaller Map and avoid the Catch22 situation No Maps Found Error, where the device won't boot-up past the No Maps Found Error to allow access to the 'Format option' to allow the use of a 16GB or 32GB Micro SDHC memory card
    Also if you ever need to remove the Micro SDHC Card for any reason... Like transferring pre-planned routes via a Micro SDHC Card or Formatting a new/replacement Micro SDHC Card, the Keeper Map will allow the device to keep running

If you wish to just stick with using the internal memory Instead of using a Micro USB Card
    Tomtom have released the Europe map in different Map Cuts (Map zones)... Will any of these new Maps suit your travel requirements ???
    More information Here... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1660206/#Comment_1660206

ATB YFM
    Hi YFM.

Doing what you say tells me I have 63MB free space on internal memory and 15.65GB on my Memory card (An ordinary TDK one - don't know its spec.
    Thanks ATB YFM. Will try and get my head around all this techno speak.