TomTom Technical chat service and map updating service — TomTom Community

TomTom Technical chat service and map updating service

Welshy99Welshy99 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
Hi there, I’m trying to contact TomTom regards a possible scam that happened to me yesterday, but finding it difficult to find their contact details, and bring to your attention what happened to me and warn other customers/forum users of this.

Yesterday whilst finding out if I could update my TomTom Go 730 maps on the TomTom Home website, a chat box opened saying they were from TomTom assistance, and would help me with my update. During this process, I was informed that the updates/maps for my device couldn’t download due to my WiFi settings and that and I would be contacted shortly by a TomTom Technician who would assist me.

I was contacted by a supposed TomTom Technician who gained remote access to my laptop insisting that they were from TomToms outsourced Technical services, ‘GPS Update Centre UK’, where I had to pay a total of £159.99 for the updates and take out a 2 year contract for continued support and updates.

This rang alarm bells too late, as they had remote access to my laptop, and I felt intensely pressured into paying the sum requested to avoid any malicious damage being carried out. They then invoiced me for installation and apparent works that were required to enable contact to automatic TomTom map updates.

Can you please confirm whether this is TomTom Technical or not? And if not TomTom how on your genuine web site (www.tomtom.com) that this chat/infiltration has happened. For now I’ve isolated my laptop subject to getting it checked out for malicious software etc and have made contact with my card company regards cancelling/reclaiming this payment should this be confirmed as a bogus scam.

Payment and Invoice was received from a company calling themselves ‘[email protected]’ with a contact number +44 0800 6891713 or 0800 6890416

Many thanks for any assistance/comments regarding this matter, and has anyone else experienced the same issue and if so, how it was dealt with by TomTom and if there was any malicious damage done to your PC.

Welshy ( a rather naive internet/digital world TomTom customer)

Comments

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 7,758
    Superuser
    edited December 2019
    Hi @Welshy99

I regret to say that this definitely looks like a Scam site. @VikramK one of the Mods on here will want to know what process you went through to finish up with this connection.

There are a few scam sites that look like Tomtom but are not and TT are anxious to know of any.

If you type Scam in Search above you will see some other posts on the same subject such as.

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1109434/unknown-satnav-support-website-scam

If there is any way to block any payment whilst this is investigated then I would ry and do that .

Doug
  • Welshy99Welshy99 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi Doug,

Thanks for your response and info. I’m in the process of recovering monies paid and have notified my card provider.

This company actually called me up on the 24th December asking if I was happy to receive the map updates (of which I am informed by the TomTom website are no longer available for my TomTom Go 730).

I took control of the conversation after he insisted several times that the company he works for are is a genuine 3rd party Technical support services for TomTom, and after informing him what I had found out and that I am in the process of recovery of monies and notifying TomTom & my Bank. He finally relented to the fact that they are not involved with TomTom in anyway and provide remote PC/Internet/firewall services and asked me not to notify TomTom or my Bank and that the monies would be refunded to my card. Let’s wait and see on that one, lol.

I would appreciate it if a TomTom moderator on this forum could make contact and confirm that they don’t use a/or this remote operating 3rd party company for ensuring that their map updates are downloadable.

Also if they could provide me with the UK support contact phone number it would be appreciated, as I am finding it difficult to make contact regarding this issue @VkramK

Welshy99
    Superuser
    Hi @Welshy99

I hope you can successfully recover your monies.

If you could have a look in your PC's history and find the Website address for the Spam site then could you please post it here with a warning so others can see it and @VikramK can record it and pass the details on to the appropriate department in Tomtom. also would be helpful to have the Phone number as well.

I am a customer like you but Tomtom do not use 3rd party sites for any functions. All their Maps and updates etc are done via their software and their own servers other than with the latest TT devices which can connect directly to the Servers via Wifi.

Doug
  • RachelShepherdRachelShepherd Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    This exact thing has just happened to me (3/1/2020) with what looks to be exactly the same scam site.

https://gpsnavigationmart.com/contact.php

I was trying to download the latest maps. I used the chat utility and was passed to a TomTom support person. He asked me straight up who maintained my computers (me) which in retrospect should have been a red flag. He remote accessed using www.fullsupport.com. He ran a utility and proceeded to say a lot of my drivers were switched off and there were problems with my drivers not working and people accessing my computer. I balked when he offered me an expensive computer service contract saying that the problems were why I could not update the maps. I asked for his name and company. He said he was TomTom support and refused to give me a name.

I ran my security but there was no problem.

TomTom. You need to fix this. They are operating in your name, cheating people and maligning your product.

Superuser
    Hi @RachelShepherd

Thank you for advising us about this. @VikramK should pick this up and pass it on to the relevant department. If you could possibly click on the link @VikramK and send him a message with any information on how you arrived at this website this would be very useful.

Doug
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 11,637 Moderator
    edited January 2020
    Thanks Rachel, I have forwarded the website info to our team.

Regards
    Vikram
  • euatgdeuatgd Posts: 3 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Good Morning
    I'm in Brazil, I have a TOMTOM GO600 GPS and I previously purchased a map of the Iberian Peninsula. My My Drive says I need to update the map of Spain and Portugal. When I try to update by clicking on the link I can't do it.
    Can you help me?
  • SuspiciousSuspicious Posts: 2 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Had similar experience to Welshy99 when trying to update a corrupted map today. A chat box appeared. Spoke of problem and then put through to what I was informed was TomTom technical support. They requested and I gave them remote access to my pc. They then showed me “problems” on my pc which is running Windows 7. They then said they could connect me to a Microsoft authorized technician service which would clean up the problems on my pc and instal antivirus software and then revert me to TomTom to fix my problems with the map update and fact my pc didn’t recognize my TomTom device. The technical fix and support could be for 5 years or lifetime for a different fee. The more expensive option included the installation of Windows 10 and Office 365. This has all been done. Everything seems OK but I just wonder as the invoice sent has no address of the provider or VAT number although they have charged VAT. is this a genuine service provider or not and is it approved by TomTom?
  • SuspiciousSuspicious Posts: 2 [Apprentice Seeker]
    My mistake. The new software downloaded is Office 2016
  • dhndhn Posts: 33,344
    Superusers
    It's a scam, I'm afraid. Not associated with Tomtom.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,270
    Superusers
    edited March 2020
    Hi
    @Suspicious

I'm Sorry to say you have been victim of a scam....
    See... Tomtom FAQ 'Unauthorised TomTom support website scams'
    Here... https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/26767

ATB YFM