Route planning question — TomTom Community

Route planning question

I have two TomTom devices, a Go Camper (purchased to avoid narrow single-track rural roads, which i hate) and a GO 6200 which was an earlier purchase and which my wife now uses for local trips. I noted recently that with my Go Camper set to heavy camper, a route from Finepoint Way in Kidderminster to Redditch goes via the ring road (the approach to which along Stourport Rd is often congested, even in the daytime), whereas the GO 6200 by-passes the town centre by using the more logical Silverwoods Way. Can anyone explain why this is happening? Is it because the Camper version regards Silverwoods Way as a residential street perhaps?

Comments

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 18,464
    Superusers
    edited December 2019
    Hi
    @BrianE

I can't see why Silverwoods way would have a restrictions
    There are no restriction signs at either ends of the road and it's used by Hundreds of HGVs every day
    According to the MyDrive Web Route planner....
    Silverwoods way is + N/A (Not Available ?) For a Truck or Heavy Camper
    But Ironically all the tiny side roads dotted around Silverwoods way are usable ???
    Edit... 'Young Close' (At the rear of Aldi), The first half of 'Clement Dalley Drive' and 'Logan Place' are all + N/A
    Note... Young close has traffic Calming or Shared-space, I've not seen the other two examples....
    auwwd3f2qfji.jpg
    Wikipedia... Shared-Space
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shared_space

ATB YFM
    Superusers
    edited December 2019
    Hi
    @BrianE

Looks like the Silverwoods way bug on the MDW Route planner has been fixed overnight ???
    Also the + N/A has also been removed from 'Young Close' (At the rear of Aldi), the first half of 'Clement Dalley Drive' and 'Logan Place'

taq6b2bowb4z.jpg
    ATB YFM
  • Lost_SoulLost_Soul Posts: 231 [Exalted Navigator]
    edited December 2019
    Hi @YamFazMan cc @BrianE

I spotted your reply late last night and tried to replicate to see if I could get the N/A using the Heavy Camper Vehicle settings on the route. Is there a legend for MyDrive which confirms what the N/A actually means?

I must have right clicked on the MyDrive (Web) map about a hundred times and I saw it once on Silverwoods Way, but this afternoon whilst you say it has been removed from Young Close I can now see the N/A .............. :/ (plus also on Clement Dalley Drive and Logan Place)

h2wg6git2ymr.jpg

I am using Google Chrome as my browser and also tried M.Edge and Internet Explorer without any success last night. I think you are right; that there is indeed a bug (or more) with MyDrive (web) on this issue. (In addition I have seen bizarre routes being calculated from MyDrive (web) locally using the Heavy Camper Setting.)

I have also been having navigation problems with the Go Camper maps since at least v10.35 and even the latest v10.41 maps has not stopped the strange and erroneous routing which I have reported on in another thread.
    Superusers
    edited December 2019
    Hi
    @Lost_Soul

I've just revisited the MDW Route planner
    Now the road is busy I can see the + N/A is in fact + Mins/Secs
    I guess 'Time' data was not avaiable last night ??? Not that the route is Not Available....
    But it's strange the + N/A was only on the profile for the Truck and Heavy Camper
    Are well back to the drawing board :/

ATB YFM
  • BrianEBrianE Posts: 542 [Exalted Navigator]
    The test route I planned was done on the actual device, rather than in MyDrive. Do they normally produce similar results? If so and the bug regarding Silverwoods Way has been fixed, should I expect it to work correctly on my Go Camper now (I haven't had chance to try it yet, but I'll try to give it a go later this evening)?
    edited December 2019
    I've just checked the route again. In MyDrive the preferred route is via Silverwoods Way but on the device it still thinhsk that the ring road route is best. I think I'll raise a support ticket about this and see what TomTom have to say.t1mwcisng5w9.png
    edited December 2019
    TomTom have just sent me a message asking me to send my Go Camper in for repair, but what I don't understand is how this issue can be a hardware problem, rather than a software problem. Can anyone with knowledge about these things please comment, as I don't wish to waste time sending back my device unnecessarily?
  • bigbig Posts: 1,628
    Superuser
    @BrianE I agree with you. Seems silly. I did once have to fully erase (Settings -> System -> Reset Device) to solve some odd problems but, again, this was just software.
    Superusers
    edited January 2020
    Hi
    @BrianE

We had awful route offered on a recent visit to national Trust house Newark Park Post Code GL127PZ
    Outbound journey was fine....
    https://mydrive.tomtom.com/en_gb/#mode=routes+viewport=51.77965,-2.14501,8.63,6,19.2+routes={"departure":true,"traffic":true,"routeType":"FASTEST","travelMode":"CAR","points":["hw~52.19204,-2.22353~A~Worcester ENG, GBR","sw~51.86011,-2.16966,14","hw~51.6493,-2.30434~A~Wotton-under-Edge (Ozleworth) ENG, GBR"],"avoidCriteria":[]}+ver=3

Return journey was dreadful....
    https://mydrive.tomtom.com/en_gb/#mode=routes+viewport=51.65112,-2.2886,13.45,6,19.2+routes={"departure":true,"traffic":true,"routeType":"FASTEST","travelMode":"CAR","points":["hw~51.6493,-2.30434~A~Wotton-under-Edge (Ozleworth) ENG, GBR","sw~51.66077,-2.28931,43","sw~51.86011,-2.16966,14","hw~52.19204,-2.22353~A~Worcester ENG, GBR"],"avoidCriteria":[]}+ver=3

Why we did not return the way we went to Newark Park, I have no idea ???
    nrhv6enafera.jpg
    The section of the route in the red box was awful... The road stated off 'OK' but got narrower and narrower with NO Pull ins to pass another vehicle and was just wide enough for our Ford Fiesta
    At one stage 2 Mountain bike cyclists had to ride back to a gate in a field park their bikes against the gate I folded the wing mirror in and we just squeezed past, there were tight blind bends, steep blind hill crests and lots of mud

Click on Image to increase Size....
    msgcax6qpi9m.jpg
    9ldmf9waurzl.jpg
    ATB YFM