Why is it so difficult to send TomTom a complaint? — TomTom Community

Why is it so difficult to send TomTom a complaint?

I have a Tom Tom Go Premium. It worked beautifully the first time I used it. However, today whilst I was driving, it suddenly decided to ask me if I wanted to use voice control and gave me loads of options on the screen. Not only was this distracting, it was also downright dangerous! Later, I tried to update it using WiFi. It didn't work and in future I shall plug it into MyDrive on the computer, which works quickly and efficiently. I'm really cross that I've had to log into a forum instead of being able to contact Tom Tom directly!

Answers

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 18,473
    Superusers
    edited December 2019
    Hi
    @Mr3Angry

The NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices normally update using Wi-Fi...
    If Wi-Fi is not available or is slow/unstable/unreliable.....
    See Option... (2) Connect over USB
    Note... TomtomHome is for the early NAV2 Devices and is NOT compatible with your

TomTom Video... Updating your navigation device using Wi-Fi®

If you have successfully connected your device to your Wi-Fi....
    To check your Connection Speed, Signal Strength & Quality
    On the Device... Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Settings --> Wi-Fi
    Tap on the Your Wi-fi name (The one Showing as connected)
    A new Menu Page opens

7g8gwfpx1swt.jpg
    On the left-hand side of the screen is your Wi-Fi Connection Status

Tomtom recommend a minimum Wi-Fi download speed of 30Mbps
    Tomtom NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices will only connect to a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network
    All the update actions are executed on the device...

See Option... (2) Connect over USB

Option... (1) Connected Wi-Fi
    Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Updates & New Items
    Extra Maps are Installed/Maintained... Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Maps

I always update my devices one Update at a time
    The NavCore Application and QuickFixGPS updates are force ticked by Tomtom... Deselect any other updates like Maps, Speed Cams etc... Update the mandatory item/s first, when complete update the remaining items one at a time

Note... NAV(5 Wifi) devices connected over Wifi do not require MyDrive Connect to be running Even if myDrive is running you have no access the MyDrive Connect menu structures as used by the previous NAV3 & 4 devices

Option... (2) Connected USB
    Tomtom recommend a minimum Wi-Fi download speed of 30Mbps
    Updating your new NAV5 (Wi-Fi) device over USB will require "MyDrive Connect"
    Get it here.....
    www.tomtom.com/getstarted
    Run MyDrive Connect.....
    Note... The NAV(5 Wifi) devices have no access the MyDrive Menu structures as used by the previous NAV3 & 4 devices
    Connect your Device to a USB Port on your PC
    Updating a NAV5 (Wi-Fi) device using USB is the same as using Wi-Fi, all of the update actions are executed on the device...
    Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Updates & New Items
    Extra Maps are Installed/Maintained... Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Maps

Note... MyDrive Connect will only show a "Splash screen" saying "Connect your device using Wifi" etc
    If required you can close the 'Main Mydrive Window' showing the "Connect your device using Wifi" Splash screen... MyDrive Connect only needs to run in the background on the PC TaskBar

27bxc59f2s23.png
    ATB YFM
    Superusers
    Hi
    @Mr3Angry

Like most commercial companies the links to the various aspects of the Website are a the bottom of the Forum Home Page....

Scroll to the bottom of this page
    From the Support Menu list
    Click 'Contact us'
    Drill down through the appropriate links
    You will eventually get to....

FAQS --- FORUMS ---- EMAIL US---- PHONE US

Or... Click Here for a direct link to 'Contact us'....
    https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/contact/locale/en_GB
    After Clicking on the Link
    Scroll to the bottom of the new page check your Countries flag is displayed (Screen bottom right) if incorrect click on one of the links and correct

Or... Click on the Email Direct Link...
    http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/contact_incident/c/4692/p/2986/es/0
    After Clicking on the Link
    Scroll to the bottom of the new page check your Countries flag is displayed (Screen bottom right) if incorrect click on one of the links and correct

Note... You need to be logged into the site for the Email Direct link to work
    Note... If your using Firefox, try a different browser Firefox can be problematic with the Direct Email link

Phone Numbers for Tomtom Support....
    Here... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1115662/phone-numbers-to-contact-customer-support-new/p1

ATB YFM
    Superusers
    edited December 2019
    Hi
    @Mr3Angry

Do you want use Voice Control ???... If No you can always turn it off in the Setting Menus

I would think a conversation in the Car or on the Radio sounded like the Trigger word "Hello Tomtom" after the "Do you want to use Voice control" wait for double beep and "I'm listening" just say "Cancel"
    You can also change the trigger Word for something more unique....

ATB YFM
  • BFG_BFG_ Posts: 6 [Master Traveler]
    edited March 2020
    Mr3Angry wrote: »
    I'm really cross that I've had to log into a forum instead of being able to contact Tom Tom directly!

They've been like this forever. I've got notes which go back to 2006 at least where I've had trouble with products. They don't listen.

They will also make you waste your time checking pointless things in order to avoid taking the blame for sub-standard service.

E.g. the map servers. Sometimes they just crawl or go offline for days.

Some of the IT strategies look like they were made up by different people with their heads in different buckets. But, things tend to improve with successive updates.

They work in a niche market with a few other competitors and they are ALL sub-optimal. None of them listen to feedback, because they have seen over time that their customers just keep coming back because they're the best of a bad bunch.

• MB12345MB12345 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Seems like a trend, can't find a UK human, never ever buying TT again
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,923
    Superuser
    edited March 2020
    Hi @MB12345

If you had entered "Phone Numbers" in the search box on this screen and selected the first search result you would have a list of Tomtom 's worldwide Customer Support numbers. Yours is:-

United Kingdom
    02079 490 134
    Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.

Also if you click on the Contact Us under Support at the bottom of this page you can scroll through pages to channel yourself to the Support details for your particular device.

Do not answer questions what for an agent to answer.

Doug
    Superusers
    Hi
    @MB12345
    MB12345 wrote: »
    Seems like a trend, can't find a UK human, never ever buying TT again
    See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1685176/#Comment_1685176
    ATB YFM