Via 62 is responding slower and slower — TomTom Community

Via 62 is responding slower and slower

My Via 62 was always a bit sluggish with direction instructions relative to my previous Go 730...but over the last few months it has just got slower and slower to respond to the touch screen.

No feedback to the menu button for 1/2 mile into the journey. Trying to type anything in is a nightmare of either no response or double characters.

The worst glitch was in the middle of a 200 mile journey it just froze and took 1/2 an hour of restarts and unplugs to get it back...what gives?

Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,914
    Superuser
    Hi @Alantoo

Firstly worth remembering when doing any updates that you do a Soft reset after each update. Ie With the device on and working Hold the On/Off button down for about 20 seconds plus until you hear the Drumroll sound. The device will restart and the files on it will have been tidied up.

Secondly have a look at the available free memory on the devices internal memory as 400mb Plus are recommended as anything less affects performance.

Have you added a Micro SD Class memory card as the maps are getting much bigger and filling up the internal memory if stored there. If the internal memory is getting filled up then maybe looking at replacing the map with a smaller version that will meet your needs or ensure the map is switched to the extra memory thus freeing up lots of internal memory.

Doug
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 18,464
    Superusers
    edited December 2019
    Hi
    @Alantoo

400 MB is considered the bare minimum Free Working Space
    The more Free Space the faster the device will operate
    Check Free Space... Check... Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Setting --> System --> About... Scroll down to Free Space....

The latest NAV4 Full Europe Map size is now 8.465GB... Also the fact that the MapZones have now also exceed the 8GB of the NAV4 on-board Memory... This is an unfortunate, but real Catch22 situation....

Install a 16GB or 32GB Class 10 Micro SDHC Memory Card....
    The Memory Card can only contain Maps or be used to transfer Planned .ITN or .GPX Routes
    The Map cannot be split across the on-board Memory and a Micro SDHC Card... For the new larger Maps maps you need to install a Branded Class 10 Micro SDHC memory card
    The latest Full Europe Map is 8.465GB so a 8GB Memory Card is useless, a 16GB or 32GB is required (32GB is the Max size Class 10 Micro SDHC Card for a Tomtom device)

Catch22 situation No Maps Found Error....
    Tomtom are allocating a small map to install on the on-board Memory of the NAV4 devices, to give access to the Micro SDHC Card Format Option
    The advantage of the small Map would be plenty of working space on the device (400 MB is considered the minimum Free Space the more Free Space the faster the device will operate)...
    The smaller map will also act as a 'Keeper' This will enable the device to keep running on the smaller Map and avoid the Catch22 situation No Maps Found Error, where the device won't boot-up past the No Maps Found Error to allow access to the 'Format option' to allow the use of a 16GB or 32GB Micro SDHC memory card
    Also if you ever need to remove the Micro SDHC Card for any reason... Like transferring pre-planned routes via a Micro SDHC Card or Formatting a new/replacement Micro SDHC Card, the Keeper Map will allow the device to keep running

If you wish to just stick with using the internal memory Instead of using a Micro USB Card
    Tomtom have released the Europe map in different Map Cuts (Map zones)... Will any of these new Maps suit your travel requirements ???
    More information Here... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1660206/#Comment_1660206

ATB YFM
  • AlantooAlantoo Posts: 5 [Apprentice Seeker]
    edited December 2019
    @DougLap

Thank you for the response.

I have heard many many (too many) drumrolls since the last update in part due to the machine freezing on me :( but it was sluggish to respond to screen input both before and after the last map addition. According to MyDrive connect there is 5096MB free so I don't think it is memory...It may need a good "defrag" as one used to do on Mac hard drives after they had been well used, but I don't know how you would do that on the Via.

I do not have an SD card in it.

I did see the discussion on here about the zone maps for the Start machines and wondered about pruning the maps held in the memory...but the zone selection option does not come up when I look at Map updates...just all of Europe at 7513MB for v10.40.

Alan

ps, @YamFazMan just seen your post. Thank you as well for your response

I had seen one of your previous posts with some of that information in and had followed the link to see the map zone solution but as I mentioned above the small map area was not an available option when I looked for it with My Drive Connect. Just the UK area would do me for now, the iPhone apps would work for the occasional European trip.

Thanks Alan
    Superusers
    Hi
    @Alantoo

You will have to wait untill Monday, then maybe @VikramK or @lampard the Forum Moderators will allocate a smaller Map to your Account

ATB YFM
    edited December 2019
    YamFazMan wrote: »
    Hi
    @Alantoo

You will have to wait untill Monday, then maybe @VikramK or @lampard the Forum Moderators will allocate a smaller Map to your Account

ATB YFM

You think the slow response is still most likely a lack of memory issue...even with 5094MB free of the total 16GB then?

Do they run faster with the maps contained on an SD card leaving the internal memory totally clear?

I will wait until Monday and try downloading a smaller map then.

Cheers, Alan

Superusers
    edited December 2019
    Hi
    @Alantoo
    Alantoo wrote: »
    You think the slow response is still most likely a lack of memory issue...even with 5094MB free of the total 16GB then?
    t0xfoi3f9ewc.jpg
    Opp's Sorry about that, I was thinking of an 8GB Via 62 :3
    You have plenty of free/working space....
    Alantoo wrote: »
    Do they run faster with the maps contained on an SD card leaving the internal memory totally clear?
    I have not found any difference running the Map on the Internal memory or Micro SDHC memory card (Unless like the 8GB Models, if it is stuffed full of Maps and has less than 400MB working space)

ATB YFM
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 10,923 Moderator
    Hi @Alantoo

A smaller map of UK and ROI has been activated for your device, it should be offered for download in MyDrive Connect.

Regards
    Vikram
    edited December 2019
    Thank you for your assistance. I have now installed and tried the smaller UK only map. I had already done a reset from the settings menu which seemed to help a bit. but the smaller map seems to have clinched it.

Still not as fast an input response as I remember it was originally, or as fast as the old Go 730, but definitely better than it has been recently.

I have just selected the UK map and haven’t tried deleting the larger European map from the machine to see if that would help even more.

How does one delete the larger map should one wish to ...from within Drive Connect or direct within the Via 62?

Thank you again.

Alan
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,914
    Superuser
    Hi @Alantoo

You should get the option to delete a map via My Drive Connect. However it could be beneficial to keep the map as long as it does not limit the available free memory on the internal memory.

Should you do an update at some time and there is a problem, such as loss of Internet connection during the update, you could lose the map. having a valid map still on the device will enable you to Strat and operate it normally and then reload the lost map. With no map on the device e it will not start and you will have to go through the No Map Found process.

Doug
    @DougLap thank you for that, I will leave the big map in. There is still 4.5GB headroom so should be plenty. The smaller map should mean there are fewer route options for the machine to consider every time it is searching.

I did wonder if the slow down of my Via was a software update / change similar to the old model Apple iPhone battery / conserving issue.

It is workable now so will keep my fingers crossed the freeze horror does not recur.

Cheers Alan
  • yvesmagatyvesmagat Posts: 5 [Master Traveler]
    I removed most of the useless maps and voices with no effect. My Via 62 still takes more than 2 minutes to launch. And sometimes it turns off and on when starting. Any solution would be appreciated. Thank you.