New A14 Huntingdon Southern Bypass Open, on map but not routed? - Page 2 — TomTom Community

New A14 Huntingdon Southern Bypass Open, on map but not routed?

Comments

• tonygrtonygr Posts: 53 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    Hi @DougLap
    It gets even weirder. If I plan a route on the MyDrive website it uses the new road plus existing road. Save it as a MyRoute and sync if with the GoBasic and when I select it on the GoBasic (which is not set up for traffic and disconnected from the laptop and WiFi turned off) it takes ages to load the track and when you look at the route it doubles back in the roadworks stretch and uses the back roads to get on the A14 at the next junction. I am beginning to suspect that a short length of the roadworks is marked, by mistake, as closed/obstructed in the southbound direction.
  • timmystimmys Posts: 21 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    Arrghh, completely useless!

Even with the new maps It's still trying to route you down non-existent roads in the Bar Hill Area. The new roads are all on the maps but it's still not using them. I think they've been open since December? Annoyingly it even shows the old road as blocked in one direction and not the other - the road is not there at all anymore!
    Traffic in this area is a nightmare and when Tomtom directs you to roads that are long since closed it's pathetic.

Literally the only thing TomTom had going for it is the quality of it's maps and traffic. The hardware is a joke; slow, crashy, constantly losing connection. They've fallen behind the likes of Google Maps and Waze even in the area that was their one advantage - can anyone remind me why I persevere?

x5aq92njdtfi.jpg
  • UnsatisfactoryUnsatisfactory Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Well TomTom it's been how many months now since the A14 was closed between Godmanchester and Huntingdon? Today I updated my TomTom with its 'NEW' updates and guess what, nothings changed. TomTom still wanted to direct me up the now closed part of the old A14. I agree with @timmys post above you have now made yourself as a satnav company irrelevant in my books. I have been a loyal TomTom supporter since your early days and have always bought the premium device because of all its extra features - which if TomTom got the basics rights, i.e. up to date accurate mapping - in case you have forgotten made your product worthwhile. However, as of today, you have lost a loyal customer for ever. This is what happens when you take your customers for granted. How stupid - you only have one simple thing to do and you can't even manage that. Goodbye...
  • AJBLoweAJBLowe Posts: 5 [Master Traveler]
    I’ve waited months for this update, expecting the whole of the new section of A14 to finally be recognised by TomTom and what happens? The new part is recognised but the part between Cambridge Services and Bar Hill now no longer exists on the device and you still get rerouted along the A1198 and A428 when you can quite easily just stay on the A14!! Why is TomTom having so much trouble with this when other companies updated correctly weeks ago?!! It’s totally unacceptable
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 11,097 Moderator
    edited March 2020
    Hello All

I have forwarded the feedback post the map release and we are trying to investigate this further.

Could you provide me the start point and the destination of your planned route, please?

Regards
    Vikram

@VikramK yes starting point Eaglesthorpe Peterborough, destination Hauxton Road Trumpington Cambridge
    @VikramK anywhere in Scunthorpe to anywhere in Cambridge. I was actually trying Skelton Road Scunthorpe to Dulwich Picture Gallery but because of the A14 problems the selected route goes via the M1 rather than the more direct M11
    In the example I posted the image of above, the route Oakington to eg. Harston would show the problem.

The route suggested is impossible - the bit that is shown as not accessible in one direction is actually not accessible in either direction (because it does not exist anymore).

But that's just a tiny example of the underlying problem around that junction . The maps have both the old roads and new roads marked on them. The old roads were taken out of action about 3 months ago but all routing is still done via them.

It would be nice if Tomtom proactively addressed major road changes rather than waiting on user feedback. All the info they need is published on the A14 works website.

As an aside, I am sure in years gone by if I marked a road as inaccessible on the device then it would take that into account on my personal device straight away rather than it simply causing a report back to Tomtom. Am I mis-remembering?
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 18,668
    Superusers
    edited March 2020
    timmys wrote: »
    (Snip)
    As an aside, I am sure in years gone by if I marked a road as inaccessible on the device then it would take that into account on my personal device straight away rather than it simply causing a report back to Tomtom. Am I mis-remembering?
    You are correct for the NAV3 devices... But the option was removed on the NAV4 devices shortly after the launch of the new series....

ATB YFM
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 11,097 Moderator
    edited March 2020
    Thanks for providing the requested information. Let me assure you that this problem has the required attention from the concerned team.

Just to gather your opinion on this; I wanted to know if a correction like this will solve the routing bug-

Below are two images of the routes and how it will look after the correction.

q7agtkc6plpm.png

q3k0a1nz2n2w.png

I look forward to hearing from you:)

Thanks again
    Vikram :)
    edited March 2020
    It would make no improvement to the issues I am detaining which are around A14 junctions 29/30.

Any hope for the ability of devices to instantly incorporate map changes made by the user to be brought back?
  • AndyHarrisAndyHarris Posts: 8 [Apprentice Traveler]
    edited March 2020
    I can report that the map update from a few days ago have made things worse. Now my 6200 reports that no route is possible to Cambridge once you get past a certain point on the new A14. Looking at the map, the roads are all fragmented. Where did the data for this update come from as it is has essentially made my 6200 useless for that journey and I have the prospect of having to wait another 3 months before any sort of fix arrives (and it might not improve at all).
    VikramK wrote: »
    Hello All

I have forwarded the feedback post the map release and we are trying to investigate this further.

Could you provide me the start point and the destination of your planned route, please?

Regards
    Vikram

Anywhere going from West to East along the new A14 from the new A1 junction. It doesn't even recognise the new junction properly and as has been reported by others as well, the roads from around the Bar Hill area to the M11 are fragmented at best or just plain missing. Just as well I know the area enough to ignore the TomTom but if I didn't I'd likely find myself in Cambridge via London or something!
    VikramK wrote: »
    Thanks for providing the requested information. Let me assure you that this problem has the required attention from the concerned team.

Just to gather your opinion on this; I wanted to know if a correction like this will solve the routing bug-

Below are two images of the routes and how it will look after the correction.

q7agtkc6plpm.png

q3k0a1nz2n2w.png

I look forward to hearing from you:)

Thanks again
    Vikram :)

Difficult to say for certain but it certainly looks better. When is this update going to land?
    timmys wrote: »
    It would make no improvement to the issues I am detaining which are around A14 junctions 29/30.

Any hope for the ability of devices to instantly incorporate map changes made by the user to be brought back?

Indeed! I thought that was the point of MapShare. When sufficient number of people's devices record a road/route as open/valid then everyone else can take advantage of that map change.
  • tron98tron98 Posts: 18 [Master Explorer]
    edited March 2020
    I left coming back to post in the forum after reporting the missing new road, and waiting for an update for months from tomtom. As it really made me angry it’s still very wrong with the new map.

Yes, you can use the new A14 now but going eastbound from where the old A14 joins the new A14 (just passed Huntingdon) to barhill (M11) area the road is so fragmented and missing as a route to tomtom it is useless. It keeps wanting to take you off the route on other roads when it is far quicker to stay on the new A14 route.

(just plan a route early AM weekday from the A1 south to the M11 along the A14 and to see the problem)

As others have said tomtom is losing its USP as the likes of google and waze just take days to correct road changes where tomtom takes months. and even then, it is not quality checked despite me adding Gov info and mapshare updates.

So I’m still using the Waze app with ongoing data use for my travel when I have an expensive Go 6200 with live traffic devise not usable for this busy journey.

The improvment photo shot from VikramK looks better as far as I can see.
  • lostonA14J31lostonA14J31 Posts: 6 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I installed latest map-up-date on my Mio Spirit 8670 LM Truck in early March 2020.
    Mio satnav products use the same map source as TomTom.
    My Mio satnav has a problem with A14J31 when travelling East. The slip road is missing.
    It was there before the recent A14 road improvements and it is on my old TomTom.
    I have reported this as a mapping error to Map Reporter.
    I use the A14 frequently and ignore the sat nav instructions at J31.
    All the slips roads at this junction are shown on Google maps and do actually exist!
  • lostonA14J31lostonA14J31 Posts: 6 [Apprentice Traveler]
    In reply to email to me from VikramK re mapping errors on /around the A14 Junction 31:
    Most of the comments in this discussion don't affect me or my Satnavs as I can and do use the old A14 (A1307) when travelling to/ St Ives to/from Ipswich.
    It is that bit of the A14 on the satnav map at A14 Junction 31 that is the problem. It is missing the slip road going East. As a result, the satnav says turn off at the previous junction, go through 3 villages and then rejoin the A14 further along
    This only applies when travelling East. Go West isn't a problem.
    You know something is not right when the first part of the slip road is shown coming to a dead end. And hence the satnav will not use it!
    edited March 2020
    links to Gov Highways A14 website

Section 4 Map – Swavesey to A14/M11 Girton interchange

this might help with a detailed maps
    edited March 2020
    VikramK , Is there any update when the fix is going to be sent to the devise? As I still need it for work as an essential worker.
  • James_DJames_D Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    I'd be interested in hearing a reply too, for too long now, Tomtom have failed to update their maps correctly. It is not possible to drive along the A14 anymore. It just won't route along the A14, forcing you to leave around Swavesey and take back roads if heading eastbound. Travelling west bound on the same route, it routes quite well and uses the new road correctly.
    edited April 2020
    I notice that VikramK has posted an announcement that there is a map release v10.47 to fix bugs related to POI addresses. I have not yet had time to update but does anyone know if this update also includes a fix for this problem?
    Having updated I can answer my own question.

It would appear not. A route from my home in Scunthorpe to Cambridge not only diverts off the A14 it also uses the old road close to Huntingdon which is currently being removed.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 18,668
    Superusers
    edited April 2020
    Hi
    I wonder if this is the cause of problem with the UK A14 route planning

The new road is open to traffic…

The route is OK Westbound... But you can’t plan a route using the Eastbound Carriageway

Tomtom devices do not plan a route along the latest (Open) section of the new road… There appears to be a problem just after the A14 Boxworth services junction (Eastbound) there's a short section of Dotted Road (See Image 1) Coordinates 52.27253,-0.01151
    Is this the cause of problem ??? I Have no Idea what the dotted road means (There's no key to the Map)

If you plan a route (Using the PND) from say Worcester and place the Destination just before the short section of Dotted Road... The device plans the route perfectly along the A14 to the planned destination....
    See Image 3 & 4....
    But if you place a Stop on the A14 immediately after the Dotted section (To force the route along the A14) and 'Add it to Route' the device reports 'No Route Possible'

The MDW Route planner plans a route through the new road section in both directions without a problem… When you sync the route to the PND you are diverted off the A14 at the Boxworth services junction as in Image 2….

3hygvk1re9q7.jpg

nmc3hx2wx58v.jpg

Route passed through the junction to the planned destination....
    tqsdou05g8lh.jpg

Destination placed just before the short section of Dotted Road....
    pfhuhjutyagd.jpg
    ATB YFM
    This is unbelievable!! Travelling west TT seems to have finally accepted that the A14 exists!! However travelling East, apparently, there is no A14 between Junction 24 and 30, strange as I drive along that stretch every day and have done for months, years even, and apart from the odd night close or weekend work it’s ALWAYS open!! Where are TT getting their information from? The roadworks are almost complete in this section, literally a couple of weeks away from completion and TomTom is still telling you the 3 lane motorway I drive on every day doesn’t exist!!
    Utterly disgraceful. Particularly when so many key workers need to use this road to do their essential jobs to keep the country running, It’s time to step up TomTom