New A14 Huntingdon Southern Bypass Open, on map but not routed? — TomTom Community

New A14 Huntingdon Southern Bypass Open, on map but not routed?

CambsCambs Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
A major section of this road opened today, it’s shown on the map but planned routes don’t use it?
https://highwaysengland.co.uk/a14-cambridge-to-huntingdon-improvement-scheme-progress/

Comments

• tron98tron98 Posts: 18 [Master Explorer]
    edited December 2019
    Yes I have noticed the same , Why is tomtom avoiding this brand new road (yes i know it is only parlty open) but the old parts are now closed and this is routing on other roads which are now grid locked .

This road opened on the Monday 9 December 2019 early hours . They anounced that this road was PART opening EARLY in early November 2019

This link is from the highway england https://highwaysengland.co.uk/a14-cambridge-to-huntingdon-improvement-scheme-progress/
    Come on TOMTOM , WAZE has it already ,I had to use this for my drive today as tomtom was all over the place with routing, Google Maps has it for routing now.

Please can this be added . I have reported it already on mapshare and it has been accepted but still no routing on the new road cjqwszajwq93.jpg
  • gmpservices_un27gmpservices_un27 Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Possibly more serious is that following the by-pass opening several roads in & around Huntingdon are now permanently closed. No update showing this for my 6000 but it'e on here https://mydrive.tomtom.com/en_gb/#mode=viewport+viewport=52.32366,-0.16487,10.35,0,-0+ver=3
    edited December 2019
    Yes I agree , The road is on the mydrive map but it just needs to be activated so we can plan a route on it , so a simple map share update would do.

Maybe add you mapshare update as well saying the road is open!.

Maybe the more that do it, the faster it will be https://www.tomtom.com/mapshare/tools/

Not sure if VikramK can help ?
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 11,642 Moderator
    @Cambs @tron98

Thanks for the detailed information. Let me forward this to the team.

I will get back once I have some updates.

Regards
    Vikram
    edited December 2019
    While the team is looking into this, did any of you try reporting this on our MapShare website

If already reported I only wanted to know if you had switched to the classic view before submitting the correction-

tjoy1cu4u0bk.png

Thanks
    Vikram
  • palacefanpalacefan Posts: 1 [Apprentice Seeker]
    edited December 2019
    when is new A14 being uploaded and new full update?
  • 963963 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I think TomTom should be ashamed, the by pass was opened on 9th December and they are still routing vehicles through villages unnecessarily. I have spoken to TomTom soon after it opened, put in the details on mapshare and still nothing. The old A14 has been renumbered A1307, still showing A14 on TomTom.
    No longer no 1 navigation in my eyes.
  • 963963 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    What is the implication of switching to classic view?
    VikramK wrote: »
    While the team is looking into this, did any of you try reporting this on our MapShare website

If already reported I only wanted to know if you had switched to the classic view before submitting the correction-

tjoy1cu4u0bk.png

Thanks
    Vikram

Hi Vikram

I reported it on mapshare and I did NOT switch to classsic I dont think. I left it as default.

The reports I sent where

fe3152cc-6231-40af-9ca6-854a7538a4b7
    eb7d72ad-cd7f-481c-ba57-5959b5993ea5
    b9307544-dfeb-4511-a4ac-0c6a1f5b7e03
    d56a36e2-0494-421d-b87c-f8fdc67f1a1d

It looks like it is still not routing on the New A14 as yet :'( , I hope tomtom can sort it out soon
    edited December 2019
    Thanks, @tron98 :)

Update on this.. The route should be available for navigation in our next map release -February 2020.

Regards
    Vikram :)
  • wellwishwellwish Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Usually updates are by End of Feb. So A14 should be part of that update
  • UnsatisfactoryUnsatisfactory Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Taking 2 to 3 months to update a major route like this is nothing short of pathetic and Tom Tom should be embarrassed. Tom Tom only has one function to perform - up to date navigation - in case you needed a reminder, and it takes this long to provide a solution. Google and Waze took around 2 to 3 days to get this new route. The strange thing is my Tom Tom shows the new A14, it just decides to continue to navigate one onto to the old A14 which near Huntingdon is completely closed in both directions. I even decided to use the Record own route feature on my device hoping that the next time I use this route Tom Tom would use my Recorded route when I selected it. It did not and decided to 'send' me on to a road that is now completely closed. Not providing timely map updates seriously makes me question any future investments I make in Tom Tom.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 7,758
    Superuser
    Hi @Unsatisfactory

Did you save the recorded route after recording it and then select it from your My Routes when you wanted to go that way .

Doug
  • Rob WilliamsonRob Williamson Posts: 5 [Master Traveler]
    This is more than just Unsatisfactory !!! Unbelievable, I would say !! This is a major road change - surely TomTom work with the DofT on these things ??
    Google gets it right. I only use TomTom to have THE BEST maps, THE BEST traffic.
    I don't know if TomTom still do any development but their search is poor, they name UK towns stupidly (e.g. Barton Mills is 'Bury St Edmunds (Barton Mills)'. (Barton Mills (Bury St Edmunds) would be OK).
    I will consider changing to Google.
    What a shame.
  • UnsatisfactoryUnsatisfactory Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    edited January 2020
    Hi @DougLap , yes I did save the recorded route after travelling that route, and did another save after recording the return trip. On selecting both saved journeys to re-run that same route, Tom Tom thinks its knows better and over-rides that route with the device either taking me onto the now closed part of the old A14, or tries to join part of the saved route with its own plan and in doing so, plots an impossible route that zig zags all over the place - even onto roads which have not opened officially yet.

Yesterday I also followed the advice on one of the comments above to log into the Tom Tom website and plan the route there and once done, send it across from my desktop pc to my satnav device. In Tom Toms defense (sort of) it almost got the route correct - enough for me to know that it would navigate the new part of the A14 correctly, but not the part afterwards. This morning when I selected the route Tom Tom had send to my device, the device immediately ignored that route and tried again to magic up its own impossible route like on my own saved journeys. So once again very disappointed with Tom Tom.

The result - I used Google Maps (which is Free - Tom Tom). Perhaps my next challenge is to ask Tom Tom for a refund...
  • tonygrtonygr Posts: 54 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    VikramK wrote: »
    Thanks, @tron98 :)

Update on this.. The route should be available for navigation in our next map release -February 2020.

Regards
    Vikram :)

Do we know when in February this map release will be available?

My current map is 1040 designated October and according to the relevant FAQ web page was released in November. I therefore would imagine the next release will be designated January and released February but we are already two thirds of the way through February and no sign of it.
    Hi @tonygr

The plan is to release the map next week, but the date is tentative.

If all goes well after the testing phase I will announce it under the News and Announcement category on our community. :)

Thank you
    Vikram
  • NiallNiall Posts: 10,883
    Superuser
    @tonygr

If TT follow their normal pattern, map 10.45 should be released on Tuesday 25th February
    @VikramK; @Niall
    Thank you both for that. This is a new TT (the previous one did not have lifetime maps) so naively I had expected the release at the beginning of the month. I will know in future.
  • HairycornflakeHairycornflake Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    So today then
    Superuser
    Hi @Hairycornflake

Done it and it seems to take the new road now.

Doug
    I also have installed the update. Tried planning a route to Cambridge and it used the new road. However it turned off and went down to the Cambridge/Bedford road presumably to avoid the slow section where they are still working on the upgrade to the existing road. Will not be going that way just yet so cannot confirm what happens when you actually drive the road.
    Superuser
    Hi @tonygr

At the moment If I. ask for a route South /North it uses the new road if I ask for North/South it is deviating as you say. There are delays showing on the route so I suspect you are right and it could be different if you ask later.today.

Doug