New TomTom GO Navigation App (Android) - Page 9 — TomTom Community

New TomTom GO Navigation App (Android)

Comments

• petakpetak Posts: 11 [Master Explorer]
    Jürgen wrote: »
    The rollout is on hold, not updates to the app for those who have it.
    Steen-th wrote: »
    The rollout is on hold, not updates to the app for those who have it.

Please do not rush to restart the rollout!!!!!

Primary reason for choosing TomTom (over eg, Here and others) is the possibility to plan my motorcycle trips in details on the Mydrive web-pages.

The lack of sync between Mydrive (routes, POI etc.) and TT navigation will be a deal breaker!

I never had issues with maps being outdated, so weekly maps updates has the priority "Z" (from A - Z). Maintaining the functionality I have today is priority "A".

I really do hope you listen to the "voice of the customer", and not least - act accordingly.

BR Steen

Couldn't agree more with every single word. It's rare to see a case where customers actively ask for an update NOT to be released :-)))
  • MarcoGoMarcoGo Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
    And one more. Without gpx import possibilities the app is worthless to me unfortunately. I'm totally happy the way it was, but when using the new version without these features becomes mandatory, I will have to find another solution, sadly.
  • anderson24anderson24 Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
    'The lack of sync between Mydrive (routes, POI etc.) and TT navigation will be a deal breaker!'
    Likewise, I've used this app for almost 5 years, mainly because I can add POI and routes, but also because it's a great navigation app, but if the next version doesn't support sync with mydrive, I won't renew in September.
  • JürgenJürgen Posts: 5,356 Community Manager
    @MarcoGo @anderson24 We can't just copy - paste the MyDrive route sync for classic maps. We're currently rebuilding it for NDS maps.
  • Steen-thSteen-th Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    @Jürgen What does this mean for the end user?
    Is the roll-out on hold until support for MyDrive and NDS is in place?
    When do you expect it will be ready (Mydrive <-> NDS)?
    Will you at the same time be able to import GPX e.t.c.?

Br Steen
  • JürgenJürgen Posts: 5,356 Community Manager
    Though we'd like to have the sync of routes in MyDrive ready we'll not hold the roll-out for this and then rather deliver it as soon as possible after. For now this is routes only.
  • AstrowandererAstrowanderer Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    I really don't understand the rush to relase the app as we are all in lock down anyway and won't be using it.
  • JvdZJvdZ Posts: 69 [Supreme Trailblazer]
    edited April 24
    Though we'd like to have the sync of routes in MyDrive ready we'll not hold the roll-out for this and then rather deliver it as soon as possible after. For now this is routes only.
    Funny how this state of denial by TomTom is continuing and posted concerns are never seriously addressed nor replied to all the arguments that this is a dealbreaker for many, as I also posted in another topic in these forums (and also never responded to by TomTom) :
    JvdZ wrote: »
    We are currently building the sync. We cannot simply re-use the original sync for classic maps as that doesn't work with NDS maps. We're trying to get this out as soon as we can.
    It shouldn't have been any surprise that this was going to be a pretty big issue before the release of GO V2, as it was stated in several fora as comment on the other NDS version (TomTom NDS v1) already.
    Rollback could/should be the right choice here till the GO v2 app is ready for full blown production mode... no? The even more common sense option would be to leave GO v1.8.1 alone with only bugfixes and release TomTom NDS v1.xx to the whole world to allow for a softer migration and decom GO 1.8 after a while when the NDS version is working as it should.
    ...and ofcourse I do understand the dilemma here for TomTom, but it might cost you when this takes too long.
    I do agree that the new V2 (NDS 1.x) version has potential and use it next to the GO v1.8.1 version for testing, but for the real car/motorcycle trips that require a route with multiple waypoint, I have to use v1.8.1 to allow me to properly prepared the route on the Laptop and then download it without any hassle to my Android phone.
    So all in all I am still a TomTom fan here, and have been for many years, but won't extent any subscription when it's up next month until it is clear what the endstate product and subscriptions are going to be.

Subscription is ended by now and not going to be renewed as it currently stands since you TomTom keep on insisting this is an upgrade ( read crippled downgrade) rather than treating it as an new program.
    Sad, but fact of life as it stands.

Jos
  • kyurloityuitgkyurloityuitg Posts: 10 [Legendary Explorer]
    edited April 25
    My subscription ended as well and I'm not planning to re-subscribe to an app without improvements, but just reduction of functionality with the next update.
    So back to the PND.
    As I'm riding motorcycle most of the time when on the road, and TT doesn't really have anything available for this category of vehicles (no, the Rider is not designed for motorcyclists), I've ordered a Garmin XT.
    It seems Garmin has learned their lesson and is listening to their customers now, so they can have my money.
  • MJJBMJJB Posts: 11 [Apprentice Traveler]
    My subscription has also ended and at this point I am also not planning on re-subscribing.

Three reasons;
    1. The apparently problematic update that I was notified many times was coming but never came (for me) and I have never been notified why (except in part through this forum). I feel TomTom management has really dropped the ball here. I don't like the users being beta testers but sadly that happens with some software (updates). But I don't see why they wouldn't inform the users of what is going on? I would assume that only a relatively few subscribers would come to this forum looking for answers.
    I guess it is because companies don't try to hold on to their customers but rather treat them as hostages and spend most of their efforts trying to get new customers
    as hostages. So companies with monthly membership fees appear to be the worst offenders in this regard. Onto reason #3.
    3. The increased cost from my prior 3 year subscription which has gone up about 38% (compared to if I purchased another 3 years now). TomTom no longer offers 3 year subscription but has gone to monthly and yearly subscriptions, apparently to keep us captive and make more money (of course).
    4. COVID-19 has meant I have significantly cut back on my driving.

I am looking at various options and may go back to using a personal navigation device like kyurloityuitg mentions in the above post or some other software which I used to prefer less.
    I often mentioned over the last 3 years about how good this app was and to quite a few people. It is sad in that I feel they are kicking us in the pants on the way out.
  • Matthew_VMatthew_V Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    My subscription ends 26th of May and I also will not renew it. I have used it on several (motor)trips in Europe. For A to B navigation Google does a fine job, the main reason to use TotTom Go was the possibility to import GPX thru MyDrive (in which you can make an edit GPX files). I can not understand TomTom why they have chosen not to have that functionality anymore but guess, viewing all the previous commands, they have no clear view of their customer base.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 4,482 Superuser
    edited May 4
    Hi @Matthew_V

The reason it is not currently available is because the new App uses a different map format (NDS) and so a route created in My Drive , which has the old format will not translate onto the new map. Tomtom said a while back that they are currently working on the compatibility issue with a view to enabling the facility later this year.

Doug
  • asdfgdsfdksgdfsasdfgdsfdksgdfs Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
    Mmmmm, routes created in MyDrive can be exported to most common navigation devices and software, but don't work on tomtom's own navigation software.

Funny that tomtom after all these months still haven't found a way to convert a route (which is just a list of coordinates) to something which is compatible with their own maps.
  • BMWarlockBMWarlock Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
    Interestingly, today there's an update for the Android maps ahead of iOS and even the Tomtom hardware. Are they trying to pacify us after all those fatuous messages about upgrades, their constant failure to deliver these upgrades and yet their persistence continue with an upgrade plan that no-one seems to want?
  • tgoldtgold Posts: 2,126 [Exalted Pioneer]
    BMWarlock wrote: »
    Interestingly, today there's an update for the Android maps ahead of iOS and even the Tomtom hardware. Are they trying to pacify us after all those fatuous messages about upgrades, their constant failure to deliver these upgrades and yet their persistence continue with an upgrade plan that no-one seems to want?
    Which app? The GO Navigation app gets NDS map updates each (well most) Mondays. I haven't noticed any very recent GO Mobile map updates.
  • BMWarlockBMWarlock Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
    Android app 1.18.1 Europe map updated to v1047.10168 (8.5GB)
  • tgoldtgold Posts: 2,126 [Exalted Pioneer]
    That was a bug fix rather than an update with newer information. See https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1122483/new-maps-v10-46-and-v10-47-available-for-download. All of my maps for GO Mobile v1.18.1 have remained at v1045.
  • Crusader3020Crusader3020 Posts: 8 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I'm not sure why everyone is complaining.
    I've been using TT since version 1, like years ago. I've tried heaps of others but still find TT Mobile Go to suit me best on my motorcycle. Sure, the MyDrive thing is a total waste of effort, but it's just as easy to do my routes on my S8. It'd be good to be able to migrate routes from one device to another as a backup, but how long does it take to redo those routes on another device anyway - certainly not a lot.
    Just hoping this long promised new version doesn't stuff it up.
  • Matthew_VMatthew_V Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I'm not sure why everyone is complaining.

I'm complaining because when I ride my bike I use a pre-defined route. This is a GPX downloaded from www, shared from or with friends and sometimes edited in MyDrive.
    In the previous version of TomTom I could sync those between MyDrive and TomTom Go and use TomTom Go to follow this route.
  • KomarekKomarek Posts: 14 [Legendary Explorer]
    I'm complaining cause they forced me to change good old GO to complete useless NDS. And after that they went to snooze till now. Take care.

tapatalk
    verstuurd vanaf mijn oneplus
  • schneidernetschneidernet Posts: 211 [Revered Navigator]
    Got USA 2.1.0 a couple of days ago. Don't use it anymore as I've switched to a Garmin Drivesmart 65 with Alexa. Was able to convert my library of .ov2's to .gpx. Bought the backup camera too. Nice being able to input destinations by voice. It also links to my phone with Garmin Drive and pulls contacts, destinations from my calendar, texts, and notifications.

Anyway as for 2.1.0, the giant green signboard is still present blocking the top1/4 to 1/3 of the screen. Maps still have to be individually selected. That is 56 taps for USA. Still can't use side-loaded .ov2's. Maps are not as detailed and complete as 1.18.1. Still no volume control. Maps are "prettier" but lack contrast making them still hard to read. It has a new alternate route feature that allows you toggle between routes. Actuality pretty nice.sy5kxcnr0dt8.png
    ahbkyya6j7wg.png

Once your 1.18.1 subscription expires it is not renewable so you are stuck with 2.1.0.

Signing off.

• Andy_BushmanAndy_Bushman Posts: 5 [Master Traveler]
    Got UK version of TomTom today. Initial signs look promising, and, they have finally fixed the mouthful instruction "go around the round about" so pleased. Will have to go for a drive now to test; in uk restriction has been lifted to allow none essential journies, not that I'd risk going out.
    New Lane Guidance looks good. You can see my video at
    Latest version UK in action.
  • FroBeFroBe Posts: 55 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    edited May 16
    TomTom is a strange company.
    Other companies try to evolve their products, and keep some backward compatibility if they release revolutionary better products.
    TomTom is happy to drop compatibility, and go one step backward when they release new products.
    I remember their transition from Go9xx navigators to Go500, when they explained the loss of functionality was a result of inexperienced software developers. Looks like TomTom don't employ programmers, but hire them only when they feel the need to deliver new products.

I had no regrets selling my Go500 with my old car, and only keep a subscription on Go Android to have a second opinion to Garmin DS61 and Google Maps.