New TomTom GO Navigation App (Android) - Page 2 — TomTom Community

New TomTom GO Navigation App (Android)

Comments

• Matthew_VMatthew_V Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    To all of you that are equally disappointed in this new update, which has thrown away the added value of MyRoutes and syncing them from MyDrive:

You can download the old app from APK Mirror and get back your Routes. Just tested and it works :)

Another option is Kurviger.de.

Shame on TomTom, and as in TomTom's homecountry we say "flushed away the baby with the washingwater"

• SialorSialor Posts: 9 [Apprentice Traveler]
    And if you delete the application, try installing from 1.18.1.apk
  • schneidernetschneidernet Posts: 212 [Revered Navigator]
    Two decade user. iPAQ, to AIO's, to Android. Spent a lot of money for good reliable apps. This isn't.

1. Colors muted. No contrast between screen and data. Inconvenient and dangerous.
    2. Street names too small to read. Inconvenient and dangerous.
    3. Seems to be a Google copy. i don't like Google. I like Old TT.
    4. Giant green banner covers to 25% blocking route view screen with log street names like "United States Highway 421 North" rather than US421N. Inconvenient and dangerous.
    5. Voice starts clipping, followed by a lock up. Inconvenient and dangerous.
    6. No traffic. Inconvenient and dangerous.
    7. Seems to be lost. Not picking best route. Inconvenient and dangerous.
    8. AI seems inoperative but that may be because of no traffic.
    9. No volume control. Inconvenient and dangerous.
    10. Deletes My Places. Can be reinstalled with My Drive.
    11. Deletes personal POI's. Cannot restore from My Drive, Can side-load if saved on PC.
    12. For US must poke 50 - 60 times to download entire US. Download is very slow. Maybe a nice feature if one has limited memory but who has limited memory anymore? Why not have a button to select the entire country.
    13. Not sure what the Cloud and Double Car icons are for. Do nothing.
    14. No longer can pick Theme colors.
    15. Downloaded 1.18.1 from APK Mirror. Installed but it immediately tried to install this over it. Force Closed it. it's been okay for awhile but I really wished I could figure out to how to block it as it takes awhile to reset every thing up.
    16. Overall has less features.
    17. I use this for work. it is Inconvenient and dangerous.

What was TT thinking?
  • lampardlampard Posts: 4,640 TomTom Moderator
    Hi All,

Thank you for providing us with feedback! I'll forward this to our product team and I think I can answer some of the concern here:

Custom POI's (.OV2 file): There's no support for this feature, so even if you'd added POIs via MyDrive these won't appear anymore in the app. This is already in discussion for consideration and I think it'll take quite a long time to implement.

My Routes sync: MyDrive doesn't sync the routes anymore to the new app. You cannot sync GPX files and cannot send a route via MyDrive.This is due to incompatibility with the new versions of our maps. If they become available, we will provide an update in the forum and release notes. However, the routes should still be on the device after the upgrade. There's only a small exception where if you'd specific incompatible routes (using avoid motorways setting) in which case they're removed during the upgrade.

Instruction panel (Banner at the top): This is already reported to the product team, see here

Volume slider: You can now use physical volume buttons to increase the volume on the App.

UI customization: Changing the map colors, the theme is not possible anymore. I send the feedback to our team about the contrast and small street names on the App.

@schneidernet The Double Car icon shows that the TomTom Traffic service is active. If there's cross below the cars, it shows that the TomTom Traffic service is not active. The cloud icon shows that MyDrive sync is enabled.
    5. Voice starts clipping, followed by a lock up. Inconvenient and dangerous.
    Can you please elaborate on this one? Are you using a computer voice? Does it happen when you are at a roundabout or in general?

Regards, lampard

• Dutch-RiderDutch-Rider Posts: 14 [Master Explorer]
    Support for GPX support is a dealbreaker for me. If there will be no support for it anymore. I won't buy it anymore.

If there won't be GPX support in the near future, i will see this as an attempt to push these kind of users to a TomTom PND (i.e Rider). That would be sad because the app is much more stable to use than a PND.
    edited December 2019
    Re Double Cars icon shows traffic is working. Seems Traffic is not working at all . I say that as I used to be able to see bloody colored streets surrounding me as I maneuvered away from them. No more.

I was using Samantha. Since uninstalled 2.0.1

Disappointed custom POI's are gone. As stated I use this for work and numerous categories with hundreds of POI's. One can still create them or acquire them from many sources. once in .ov2 format the can be side-loaded to the POI directory. Not sure why TT does not wish to support the professional or power user.

If they are forcing us to the stand-alones, they are missing the point. I use my phone as as my home screen calendar, Digical has a nav icon for the location of appointments. I organise my day with Google Calendar which DigiCal reads. Then throughout the day i click the nav icon and an intend passes it to TT and off I go to the next stop. Very functional. Phone is also easier to fly with.

Missing Volume control. I clip my phone in a bracket. reaching out to press the small physical buttons is inconvenient and dangerous.

As I said I am, maybe now was, a two decade LOYAL user. I've used TT in Europe, Canada, the Carribean, Mexico, and all over the USA. I'm an enthusiast that even a hacked an altimeter into my last two dedicated boxes.

Anyway I am back to 1.18.1and it has not been overwritten yet. I have done a lot of beta testing. It was discourteous of TT not to warn its unwitting customers. It would have been better to issue a separate app so we could play when not involved in mission critical activities.

TT's customers count on them to provide usable, stable, convenient, and safe applications. 2.0.1. We want all that and please put the guts back into the app too. Google is crappy but at least free.

Thanks for the response.
  • MrMMrM Posts: 156 [Revered Navigator]
    Too bad POI files and GPX files are more or less gone. No upgrade for me.
    But heck, TT is not the only provider of Navigation apps (Ik ga niet meer aan een dood paard trekken).
  • KelltechKelltech Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    lampard wrote: »
    My Routes sync: MyDrive doesn't sync the routes anymore to the new app....However, the routes should still be on the device after the upgrade. There's only a small exception where if you'd specific incompatible routes (using avoid motorways setting) in which case they're removed during the upgrade.

@lampard, I created routes in MyDrive and did not use avoid features, but MyDrive is definitely not sycing. Is this feature returning?
  • fjrnorfjrnor Posts: 9 [Master Explorer]
    lampard wrote: »
    Hi All,
    ..... If they become available, we will provide an update in the forum and release notes. However, the routes should still be on the device after the upgrade. ...

You are saying if... If the routes no longer will sync to the phone and let me use them for navigating, this app is worth nothing. Please confirm if this will be possible and when, my looking for some other solution have just started.
    Very dissapointed. Why destroy something that works.
  • RoadRiderRoadRider Posts: 455 [Supreme Pioneer]
    @Lampard.omari

I still have the TomTom GO Mobile App v1.18.1 is disabling auto update in the PlayStore supported to stay on this old version until TomTom GO Navigation app for Android supports driving ans syncing Tracks?

ubj8eu6njlvx.jpg

Or is there a supported way to use both the old and the new version on the same phone?
  • MUPMUP Posts: 84 [Supreme Trailblazer]
    edited December 2019
    RoadRider wrote: »
    Or is there a supported way to use both the old and the new version on the same phone?
    Not supported but just resign the apk 1.18.1 after downloading it from a mirror server before starting the install procedure.
    So the original sign from TT given to theire original 1.18.1 apk is known to GooglePlay Store but not the one you are applying to the apk.
    You will never get a message to upgrade/update the apk from Google directly.
    In parallel you can use the new TT NDS app.

To do so use the apksigner released as part of the Android SDK.
    It's easy to use just sitting at home ... no rocket science :)

Good Luck and Merry Christmas.
  • eddydceddydc Posts: 27 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Didn't one learn with the Tom Tom Go series that leaving out custom POIs is not done for a navigation device. Why does one learn from their mistakes? Once bitten, ...
  • Bino92Bino92 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    edited December 2019
    Is there a maner to join the beta testing of version 2.0 ?
    my account is [email protected]

Mod edit: Please don't post private or personal information on a public forum.Thanks!
  • KelltechKelltech Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    • Safety issue: navigation freezes randomly at intervals, speed and speed limit disappear until app is restarted. Not safe to do while driving.
    • Safety issue: App frequently freezes and needs to be restarted when it switches to night mode, also unsafe to do while driving.
    • Voice automatically and randomly changes.

The new lane guidance is nice, but unfortunately this update is full of problems and is missing features that some of us paid for. Yeah, I could and might roll back with an APK but I'm hoping we hear some kind of news on pending updates to bring back sync features and an app that just works.
  • Tatinek2Tatinek2 Posts: 6 [Apprentice Seeker]
    How to turn on house numbers?
    edited December 2019
    Tatinek2 wrote: »

You mean they did away with that too?
    Tatinek2 wrote: »

Yikes! That gone too?
    He doesn't know them
    Oneplus 7
    Tomtom 2.0.2
    Re "Your device is ???" Not my post but I am using a Moto Z4. I was just curious as I ditched 2.0.1 and back to 1.18.1.

"TomTom 2.0.2" ? Is there a new version? Anything restored/fixed?
  • PavehPaveh Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    edited December 2019
    Hello!

When you publish the final version to everyone?

Regards, from Norway
  • RonaldM01RonaldM01 Posts: 11 [Legendary Explorer]
    And all because of the new update
    y60bzpnhmiwl.jpg
  • miki_MBmiki_MB Posts: 7 [Master Explorer]
    Hello friends,

just got an update to new version and here's my initial impressions:
    very clean interface, driver oriented, ability to download maps that you need (finally!), lane assist is THE best I've seen around, almost impossible to miss your turn (although it does look scary at first with road disappearing in front of you :astonished: ).

Things that should be improved:

Like others have mentioned, those big green panels with street names. I understand having this panel on highway (like reality view) with various cities, but for every small street it looks like an overkill, blocking 1/4 of the screen in portrait mode. In that respect old version was better, and more natural feel.

Traffic - sometimes it doesn't work at all (crossed two cars icon), then it would come up. I also cannot browse map to see traffic in some distant city (I live in Maribor, Slovenia and wanted to check traffic in Vienna, about 270 km away), nothing.

Maps - I've noticed that online maps on tomtom website (mydrive) are more up to date comparing to the ones I have on my phone (which are also "up to date" as per app info)

POI - not the most accurately placed on map, causing issues in city centres, as it will take you to the "opposite side" (so I have to compare it with Google maps and mark my own poi).

3D buildings - sometimes they are not displayed during driving, sometimes yes. I tried it in Ljubljana and when it does work it looks quite amazing, plus it helps with orientation.

It's very stable, no crashed at all so far, even after 7+ hours of drive and multiple countries, doesn't warm up phone, everything runs smooth. I believe it's getting close to its prime time!

Regards,
  • RonaldM01RonaldM01 Posts: 11 [Legendary Explorer]
    Paveh wrote: »
    Hello!

When you publish the final version to everyone?

Regards, from Norway

In the Google play store, support reps stated everyone should have the new update before the end of this year.