New TomTom GO Navigation App (Android) — TomTom Community

New TomTom GO Navigation App (Android)

lampardlampard Posts: 4,748 Moderator
Hi All,

wo8kn2g6k549.jpg

You may have already been aware of this app and today we're releasing this app update to a small number of users. During the update, GO Mobile subscriptions will remain valid, but if you are not logged in to your MyDrive account, you will need to restore purchases to retrieve your subscription.

Key Features:

MAPS A LA CARTE
Customize your map by only downloading what you need with country- or regional-level maps. Select and download just what you need with worldwide maps available for download but in downloadable country or sub-regions of ~300-500mb which lets you create your own custom map.

WEEKLY UPDATES
Quick map updates without having to download the entire map again. These small updates (couple MB's) only replace what is new & delete the data, without needing to completely re-download the map.

MOVING LANE GUIDANCE
Avoid missing turns and last-second merges by zooming in on your lane and seeing all the action up ahead. Allows you to see the road ahead past the exit or junction, again helping to orientate and guide especially when multiple exits occur after another.

Any questions? Please let us know! :)

Mod edit: The latest updated version is 2.0.3 which is available to only 5% of the users.

Cheers, lampard

Comments

• Steven78Steven78 Posts: 1 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Hi,
    Will this small group of users get this update automatically?
  • lampardlampard Posts: 4,748 Moderator
    Hi @Steven78

Welcome to the Community! It is indeed a phased rollout (2% of the userbase) of the TomTom GO Navigation app for Android. I'll post back here once I've more updates.

Regards, lampard
  • fjrnorfjrnor Posts: 9 [Master Explorer]
    edited December 2019
    After my android app Go Mobile was updated to GO, I can no longer see my routes in the nav app. I can see my places, but no routes. In the MyDrive app and on web the routes are fine. I am using a Samsung S8+
  • JürgenJürgen Posts: 5,414
    Community Manager
    Hi @fjrnor
    We are sorry we do not currently offer syncing of routes. This is due to incompatibility with the new versions of our maps. We are working on restoring these services as soon as possible.
  • MrMMrM Posts: 156 [Revered Navigator]
    Oeiii, I think you guy's should mention this in the opening post. Many people use the app also for gpx routes. Like using the phone on motorbikes. The present app is very close to the Rider features (Like curvy roads, POI upload and view on map). Would like to know the present differences and will the gap be 'fixed' in the near future.
  • miketorcymiketorcy Posts: 3,344
    Superusers
    Hi all , is the 75 kms free still existing?
  • JürgenJürgen Posts: 5,414
    Community Manager
    miketorcy wrote: »
    Hi all , is the 75 kms free still existing?
    For new users, the GO Navigation app has one free trial month with unlimited kilometres. The pay wall will only be shown after this free trial.
  • Hamid4rHamid4r Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
    edited December 2019
    Hi all
    Does the new version has voice commands like Siri or Google assistants and when it will be released to everyone.
    Thanks
  • John RichardsonJohn Richardson Posts: 9 [Master Explorer]
    Jürgen wrote: »
    We have now started the phased rollout of the TomTom GO Navigation app for Android.

Is this the NDS version and have you any idea when it will roll out in in the UK?
  • adminpoigravesadminpoigraves Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    It would appear that all my POI files are gone. They show up in MyDrive/Places/POI Files on the computer but on my phone there are none. I've tried re-installing them but none show. My Favourites are all there.
    Are third party POIs no longer supported now? :'(
  • AndyG1714AndyG1714 Posts: 45 [Outstanding Explorer]
    When will the update start for me? I really want to try it out as soon as possible!
  • KelltechKelltech Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    edited December 2019
    Hi @fjrnor
    We are sorry we do not currently offer syncing of routes. This is due to incompatibility with the new versions of our maps. We are working on restoring these services as soon as possible.

Had I known this, I would not have updated today. I am setting out on a really big roadtrip across Europe on Monday and had been planning it out in MyDrive and syncing it to My Routes in Android. Guess that's tossed out.

If I could roll back, I would definitely do so at this point until the app is more than half baked and released to the public as such. :/
  • fjrnorfjrnor Posts: 9 [Master Explorer]
    edited December 2019
    Hi @fjrnor

Hopefully you will sort this out quite soon, as your very good web based route planner on PC is the main reason I am willing to pay for this product, and I don't think I am alone. Just navigating to a point, I could use Google Maps.
  • KelltechKelltech Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    fjrnor wrote: »
    Hopefully you will sort this out quite soon, as your very good web based route planner on PC is the main reason I am willing to pay for this product, and I don't think I am alone. Just navigating to a point, I could use Google Maps.

Agreed 100%. I understand the excitement to release an exciting new update but it should be beta at best or come with a notice of what's not working so people can decide to update or not. When features that we have paid for and rely on are not functional then the update isn't ready in my opinion.
  • schneidernetschneidernet Posts: 226 [Revered Navigator]
    Just got 2.0.1. Very disappointed. Totally rebuilt and totally awful.
  • GertdejongGertdejong Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
    Just got 2.0.1. Very disappointed. Totally rebuilt and totally awful.

Why? Tell us a bit more
    Look at my post below
  • Mikehill219Mikehill219 Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
    It would appear that all my POI files are gone. They show up in MyDrive/Places/POI Files on the computer but on my phone there are none. I've tried re-installing them but none show. My Favourites are all there.
    Are third party POIs no longer supported now? :'(

Same issue here, they have just ruined this app with the update, they should have warned everyone that their POIs will be lost, wasted a good couple of hours tonight as my POI was almost impossible to find. My own fault for putting all my eggs in Tomtoms basket! Not after tonight I must add,

Tomtom have just lost 20 user accounts
  • RGM71RGM71 Posts: 377 [Supreme Trailblazer]
    edited December 2019
    Yesterday I read in Dutch Play Store from some TT-employees that new version is delayed until the end of January because of some (minor) bugs..
  • appmontoroappmontoro Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
    Hi @fjrnor

Had I known this, I would not have updated today. I am setting out on a really big roadtrip across Europe on Monday and had been planning it out in MyDrive and syncing it to My Routes in Android. Guess that's tossed out.

If I could roll back, I would definitely do so at this point until the app is more than half baked and released to the public as such.
  • tgoldtgold Posts: 2,141 [Exalted Pioneer]
    edited December 2019
    Many thanks for that @RGM71. Shame on TT for not sharing this with us after they had announced the start of the roll-out.

BTW the new Navigation app had been receiving weekly map updates but I have seen nothing new since 1 December. Does anyone know anything about that?
  • AsprinAsprin Posts: 271 [Supreme Pioneer]
    edited December 2019
    I think to avoid these types of problems they should make beta versions for anyone who would like to help test it at the Google Store.

With a delay added to the app that will stop working when the next beta version is ready.

That way it will stop user's only having the beta version and force
    them to test and report back.
    It would save a lot on RD for TomTom.

Then after that release it to the public when it is really ready.
    I am still struggling with 2.0.1 and wondering how it found its way to my phone. My latest gripe in that is a green banner that takes about 25% of the top of the map display blocking out what comes next like turns. Basically you fly blind with this version. Last night it took the entire top of screen displaying I was on United States Highway 421 North where US421 N would have been sufficient.

I think I am going to try uninstalling it and then reinstalling from the PlayStore. The only 2.0.1 version I see is for the phone.

edited December 2019
    Forced install of 2.0.1. Colors too muted, no contrast. green banner takes up top 25% screen blocking view of oncoming route. Voice stutters. Nav stalls. Missed three turns since getting this Monday. Routed me to closed bridge last night. Glad I knew where I was. not sure traffic even works anymore.

Tried to uninstall it but PlayStore re-installs it.

Been using TT since early in this century on an iPaq. Owned several stand-alones. I guess I'll have to use Google which this seems to copy. Awful, awful update.

Uninstall deleted all my data.
  • BosworthBosworth Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    I might be a bit dumb, but used new app for first time today (android). Worked OK apart from app volume. Previous version had a slider accessed by tapping bottom of screen. Now all I can find is a button for alerts only / muted / unmuted but no volume control. Am I missing it??