Western Europe map updates keep failing — TomTom Community

Western Europe map updates keep failing

GettingfedupnowGettingfedupnow Posts: 20 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
edited December 2019 in RIDER
I am having real issues trying to update the Western European maps on my (4DG0) Rider v4 2013. I am currently stuck on version 1030.9519
It will and has run all the other updates successfully, including the date fix from TT in Home, but will not update the map despite having a lifetime map subscription.
I run Windows 10. It matters not if I enable or disable my AV - it still fails
I have a high speed fibre internet connection
I have the latest version of TT Home - I have uninstalled and reinstalled it multiple times.
I have deleted all old TT files and backups from the PC. I have cleaned up old registry settings
I have even tried two different PC's over 3 days and the map update still fails in the manner shown.
I am logged in to the latest TT home
I have even tried changing the map zone to download but it still fails in the same way
Its driving me nuts. I am NOT cancelling the process as the screenshot suggests.
I am leaving the computer(s) alone to do its(their) stuff
Any ideas please ?
53w6hmfiryeg.jpg

Mod edit: Please don't post private or personal information on a public forum. Thanks!

Answers

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,070
    Superusers
    edited December 2019
    Hi
    @Gettingfedupnow

Re "Download/Installation interrupted".....
    Are your USB ports set for power saving "USB Selective Suspend"

Win7 See... http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/147369-usb-selective-suspend-turn-off.html

Win10 See… https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/73187-turn-off-usb-selective-suspend-windows-10-a.html
    Click on link and scroll down to "Turn Off USB Selective Suspend"

Also turn off any Screen savers any other Power savers or USB port monitoring software installed

Random Disconnects on Surface Pro 3 & 4
    Do you have or have access to a 'Surface Dock', if so plug your device into a USB port on that. Others have found that to work
    On the Win10 tablets, Microsoft has hidden the "USB Selective Suspend" menu
    You will need to edit the Registry for the USB Selective Suspend menu to show

Laptop users also see Note (1) & (2)
    Note... (1) My Linx 10/10 Win10 Tablet is exactly the same... I had to edit the Registry to activate the advanced setting in the Power Menu
    Note...(2) Recently a User with a Dell XPS 9360 Laptop also exactly the same problem ... he also had to edit the Registry to activate the advanced setting in the Power Menu

See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1234855/#Comment_1234855

Also see... Windows 10 Power Settings for Surface Pro devices
    See... https://www.lovemysurface.net/windows-10-power-settings-for-surface/

ATB YFM
  • GettingfedupnowGettingfedupnow Posts: 20 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    Thankyou for the reply.
    The USB power down settings on my PC was already disabled before the updates were failing as described, I was aware of that issue in Win 10 but I edited the registry settings too to see if that made a difference.
    Alas it did not, the update process still fails. Back to the drawing board :(
  • AndacamiRiderAndacamiRider Posts: 10 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Same here. Went to update today was presented with a message saying nothing will work until I upgrade Home to latest version, same issues as above, then it seemed to work now all I get is TOMTOM(handslogo) on the device screen and nothing works.

Home: 2.20.4.1267
    Rider: 4GD00

It worked just fine this morning bar not knowing a postcode so I went for the update, now have a useless lump.

Will try again and report back...
    edited December 2019
    Uninstalled Home using Revo. Reinstalled latest. Logged in and re-paired my Rider. Went for an update, none listed (I guess because they have been done?). Went to look at device from Home and was able to remove a car icon and I can see my custom icon. Rebooted Rider by holding down for 15 secs, nothing, hold down for 20 or more and white text comes up giving what I guess is device and firmware code. Rebooted agian, nothing, just the TOMTOM(handslogo) screen.

Any thoughts on a proper factory reset, does anyone from TOMTOM read these? I emailed Tomtom just now...
    edited December 2019
    Nothing I do fixes it, it's properly buggered now :angry:

H E L P
    I restored to a previous backup - it now works, but obviously as an older map.Knowing I seem to be able to go back to a functioning device; I'll try the update again...
    Did not work.

cvu395oky0r4.png
    Response form Support today suggests I try everything I've already tried and listed above. Not hugely helpful just now as I think the latest version of maps and Home need fixing. I will however do a full erase and reset (via Home) and try a fresh install if I can...
  • botherasbotheras Posts: 4 [Neophyte Traveler]
    I'm absolutely the same... This all appears to have happened over the install of Home...
    Whenever I select the Western Europe, it tries also to download the full Europe after, and is greyed out so I can't "deselect" it...
  • WhysohardWhysohard Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
    So I am the thread starter. You may notice the ironic similarity in username :)

God knows why it will not let me log back in using the name I had, but it won't.

I get a red reset press here button for the password, but it does not reset, cos it is not a hyperlink..

Given it's TomTom we are dealing with, I am not stunned to be fair. They are not the most user friendly IT company I deal with..and I do deal with a lot.

SO - I found a solution which is why I am back to try and assist the rest of you.
    I can never leave a tech problem alone until I beat it - it's why I now work in IT I guess.

If I cant crack it at the time, I leave alone and go at it later.

I had another go at this today with a fresh head. It seems that despite me only selecting Western European maps, to update it was still trying to load the entire Europe map which was possibly too big to fit, I could not deselect the larger map option - it came along with the Western maps no matter what I tried and it kept failing accordingly.

I switched tack when I noticed that the SW Europe maps now cover the UK as well as the Euro countries I generally visit and decided to try installing that one. Nothing to lose and all that as I had previously backed up my unit. (always wise)

It went in without trying to install the whole thing so I am now sorted

Anyone's guess what TT have changed in map updates, but for now at least I found a solution.
    Maybe next time I need to go back to loading Western Europe, but I will cross that bridge when I come to it.

Perhaps that will work for those of you also struggling - I hope so :)

• DVHDVH Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    had this issue with mine, only on a tomtom go 520 wifi device.
    I kept getting failed map update message.
    to sort it I downloaded just the uk map to the device, even though I had 12gb of space on the device. This was done with a wired connection through tomtom my drive. on the laptop, and connected the laptop straight to the router, not over wifi
    I then inserted a 16GB sd card
    downloaded the EU map to the sd card through tomtom my drive.
    all maps now available.
  • botherasbotheras Posts: 4 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Well, I tried again today... yet another update to TomTom Home, and lo and behold, the Western Europe map updated! Obviously another TomTom screw up...