My TomTom Go Premium X keeps rebooting — TomTom Community

My TomTom Go Premium X keeps rebooting

Purchased the unit in July and used couple of times. Since arriving in the US, something happened.

Tried resetting it as per all instructions and manuals, but does not work. What do I do?

Comments

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,751
    Superusers
    Hi
    @hwiberg6

The Previous NAV4 and Latest (NAV5 WiFi) devices are quite power hungry and can go into "Power saving mode" if not supplied with enough power

When the device is In use they are designed to be always connected to a power supply
    The Tomtom supplied Power Adapter is rated at 5Volts 1.2Amps
    Even after you have recharged the device externally via a mains charger, when in use in the vehicle, they will still require being connected to a Tomtom supplied Power Adapter (Or a proven suitable 3rd party Power adapter)

(1)... Do NOT attach them to a dashboard USB port in your vehicle as they normally only supply 500mAmp (0.5Amp) and are for data transfer and not supplying power: See... Note (1) & (2)

(2)... Using a NONE Tomtom 3rd party underpowered or a mismatched cigarette lighter charger can cause the device to go into Power Saving Mode: See... Note (1)

(3)... On the Models with a built-in SIM, the reduction of power to the SIM can cause the dropping of the traffic info: Note (3)

Note (1)... At an (Undisclosed) percentage of battery discharge, the device will try to save its power requirements by dimming the screen and eventually powers off the device... Devices with a built-in SIM Card may also lose Live Traffic services
    Note (2)... A dashboard USB port can also fool a NAV4 Device into entering 'Updating Mode' and display the Connected to your Computer splash screen
    Note (3)... I tried connecting my Tomtom GO 6200 to my Cars USB port, checked the connection status it reports 'Connected over USB' --> 'GPRS (SIM) Disconnected'

Try using the Tomtom supplied cable and Tomtom supplied Power Adapter
    The Charger Adaptor and USB Cable supplied by Tomtom WILL run and charge the device at the same time

Many 3rd party Mismatched Charger Adaptors won't run and charge the device at the same time
    See... It's not simply a power thing.....
    https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1182024/#Comment_1182024

ATB YFM
  • hwiberg6hwiberg6 Posts: 4 [Neophyte Traveler]
    So the reply/comment provided probably can help someone, but not my TomTom Go Premium X.

Let me reiterate -
    1) I have charged the unit
    2) I can manage to get the unit to an Operating System screen, in which I can see the serial number, build and the charge level of the battery, among other things
    3) The unit does NOT restart automatically NOR manually beyond that screen into a factory reset mode.
    4) The ONLY thing happening when attempting to reset, restart or apply prayers to several Gods, is that the unit eventually shows the map screen and then restarts itself, and restart itself, and restarts itself.... You get the picture.

Any useful tips or should I just defer to TomTom for a replacement unit?
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,389
    Superuser
    Hi @hwiberg6

Based on what you say in 2) can you get the following to work.

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1041654/no-maps-available-wi-fi-devices#latest

Doug
    Hi DougLap -
    Good thinking!

Interrupted wifi update was one of the plausible explanations that occurred to me, particularly since staying at hotels for weeks. However, after watching the video I conclude that there are no screens or opportunities to reset and/or re-install maps. Also, there are no error messages at all, just the endless reboot cycle...

The non-functional device remains an enigma...
    Superuser
    Hi @hwiberg6

Sorry wrong link. Try this.

Doug
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,751
    Superusers
    edited December 2019
    Hi
    @hwiberg6
    1st Post....
    hwiberg6 wrote: »
    Purchased the unit in July and used couple of times. Since arriving in the US, something happened.

Tried resetting it as per all instructions and manuals, but does not work. What do I do?
    2nd Post....
    hwiberg6 wrote: »
    So the reply/comment provided probably can help someone, but not my TomTom Go Premium X.
    Let me reiterate -
    1) I have charged the unit
    2) I can manage to get the unit to an Operating System screen, in which I can see the serial number, build and the charge level of the battery, among other things
    3) The unit does NOT restart automatically NOR manually beyond that screen into a factory reset mode.
    4) The ONLY thing happening when attempting to reset, restart or apply prayers to several Gods, is that the unit eventually shows the map screen and then restarts itself, and restart itself, and restarts itself.... You get the picture.

Any useful tips or should I just defer to TomTom for a replacement unit?

Reiterate > To say something again or a number of times, typically for emphasis or clarity.

How can your second post be a Reiteration of your sketchy first post ???
    My reply to your first post was a perfectly reasonable reply to the scant information supplied

Now reading your second post its obvious the device has initiated Recovery Mode
    See Here.... How to recover your device
    https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1898
    also...Watch the Video

It looks like your device is at bullet point...(8) of the Recovery Process....

ATB YFM
    Update:
    I was able to reinstall the unit as per the instructions in the link @YamFazMan provided, i e https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1898

@YamFazMan : You da man!
    On a serious note, I have been travelling extensively past 5 weeks in the US and it was not helpful to have a bricked navigation unit. Tried to get help but the symptoms did not correlate fully with the Q&A threads I looked up. Now I have to buy a memory card because my device memory cannot accommodate a USA map (6 GB vs 3,5 GB device memory).

Ps. You are probably a native English speaker, I am not. I do not consider my post "sketchy" but probably needed to expand on the issues enough to fully describe where I was at with it ;-)
    Your help was much appreciated!
  • Fritz JörnFritz Jörn Posts: 1 [Apprentice Seeker]
    On a short 20 min trip my Tomtom rebooted three times! I had to find my destination almost blindly. During one lucid moment it had even lost GPS bearings for minutes. A shame, and a shame that the company does not fix that. At least at reboot the unit should tell you – and leave the explamation for a while to read – why it had given up. Reboot takes long enough to dispay: “Sorry, you had too little memory for this road map” or “Sorry, our software is crappy, we work on it” or whatever. (What’s BBCode? Do I have to know that? British?)
    Superuser
    Hi @Fritz Jörn

Which Tomtom are you talking about.

Doug
  • Oskar-2Oskar-2 Posts: 1,632 [Revered Voyager]
    @hwiberg6
    Maybe it's worth a try: As a TomTom premium device owner you should have received amongst others an update with POI charging stations. Did you activate all of them to show up in the map?