GPS Accuracy — TomTom Community

GPS Accuracy

I have a Tom Tom 1, which has the GPS roll-over issue. What is the accuracy of the current generation of car sat nav's - is it still the crude 16 ft if you are lucky? If the accuracy is no better than the original it seems pointless upgrading.

Best Answers

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,121
    Superusers
    edited November 2019 Accepted Answer
    Hi
    @Bobg1

GPS Accuracy....
    When selective availability was lifted in 2000, GPS had about a five-meter (16 ft) accuracy. The latest stage of accuracy enhancement uses the L5 band and is now fully deployed. GPS receivers released in 2018 that use the L5 band can have much higher accuracy, pinpointing to within 30 centimetres or 11.8 inches.
    Quote From.... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Positioning_System

ATB YFM

Answers

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,121
    Superusers
    edited November 2019 Accepted Answer
    Hi
    @Bobg1

GPS Accuracy....
    When selective availability was lifted in 2000, GPS had about a five-meter (16 ft) accuracy. The latest stage of accuracy enhancement uses the L5 band and is now fully deployed. GPS receivers released in 2018 that use the L5 band can have much higher accuracy, pinpointing to within 30 centimetres or 11.8 inches.
    Quote From.... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Positioning_System

ATB YFM
  • Bobg1Bobg1 Posts: 5 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Thank you for the reply. Although L5 provides greater accuracy - is it actually employed in any of the Tom Tom Sat Nav's??
  • tiljestiljes Posts: 249 [Exalted Navigator]
    Bobg1 wrote: »
    Thank you for the reply. Although L5 provides greater accuracy - is it actually employed in any of the Tom Tom Sat Nav's??

The newest TomToms (Go Premium) supposedly use a chip that is capable of using L5, but I don't know if it is enabled in firmware/software.

Why don't you fix the roll-over issue of your TT 1 until more information is available for the newer devices?
    Tom Tom have sent several emails indicating they do not have a fix yet, which seems an excuse for trying to force me to an upgrade.
    If they do not have a fix yet, I am concerned why a company, such as Tom Tom, after an extended period, are still unable to produce a fix.
    Did other Sat Nav companies have the same issue, if not it might be more appropriate to look at other Sat Nav companies that do not design in obsolescence into their products to force people to upgrade.
  • tiljestiljes Posts: 249 [Exalted Navigator]
    @Bobg1
    We made 3rd party fixes for all devices without the help of TomTom. There's no TT affected of the roll-over anymore. Either you have to apply my patch (rima-lock.com) if yours is using a GL1 chipset, or you have to update the GPS firmware (from GSW3.2.4 to at least GSW3.2.5).

Other companies were affected as well. Can't say they handled it better or worse. But more or less the same.
  • Smurf_Tom_2005Smurf_Tom_2005 Posts: 47 [Sovereign Trailblazer]
    edited November 2019
    To check which GPS chip is mounted on your tomtom, press the RESET button and then press the on/off button for a few seconds until the diagnostic screen is displayed. The model of the GPS chip is displayed in the "GPS type" position.

search the Internet for "GPS Upgrade Sirf3 GSW 3.2.5" and your Navigation will work again without errors

Universal Upgrade GSW3.2.5TT3 & GWS3.6.0 GPS Chip_SIRF-III
    for TT GO 510, GO 520, GO 630, GO 710, GO 720, GO 730, GO 715, GO 910, GO 920, GO 930, ONE, ONE 2nd Edition, ONE 3Rd (v7), GO 7000 Truck, Rider 1 + 2

GPS chip SIRF-III upgrade from version: GWS3.1.1 or GSW3.2.4TT3 to version: GSW3.2.5TT3 or GSW3.6.0
    the GPS firmware GSW3.6.0 generally,(but not always), finds about 2 satellites more than the GPS firmware GSW3.2.5 ,
    but the GPS firmware GSW3.2.5 is usually slightly faster with the satfix than the GPS firmware GSW3.6.0
    Note. Firmware for Tomtom Navi with GPS Chip Sirf 3; and only for this
    Thank you for the reply. My Tom Tom One GPS Chip is: Sirf 3.
    I did a search for "GPS Upgrade Sirf 3 GSW 3.2.5", but could only find a German web site. It is over 40 years since I did any German translation - I could not see any option for an English translation. Is there a English version available?, since it will be important to carry out any upgrade correctly.
    I managed to find a 1 Gbyte SD card, which seems to be the largest size the Tom Tom One can read. I took the plunge and re-flashed the Tom Tom One. After the flashing process it didn't automatically power down and showed the initially Flash screen. Since the device appeared to correctly go through the flashing process I pressed the Reset button, which powered it down and I inserted the original SD Card.
    The Tom Tom powered up ok and appears to be working fine, time will tell if any issues. The only thing I noticed was that the device defaulted to BST. I've changed this - but whether this will need correcting each time the clocks change? - the previous firmware appeared to automatically do this.
    Thank you very much for your detailed help.
    Hopefully the Tom Tom One will give a few more years of service. Its been reliable with the only issue being having to re-calibrate the screen.
    It shows that Tom Tom have dragged their heals on the WRNO issue, and more interested in trying to persuade their customers with offers on their more expensive Nav devices.