Will GO 5000 with 2G inbuilt SIM operate in England? — TomTom Community

Will GO 5000 with 2G inbuilt SIM operate in England?

Hello

I own TomTom 5000 and also TomTom GO Supreme and live in Australia.

I plan to drive in England in June -July 2019.

Will my 5000 with its inbuilt 2G SIM card operate with internet access for traffic etc?

If so this would be more useful to me than my GO Supreme which accesses internet via my mobile phone, which would mean expensive data usage.

It would seem more sensible and cheaper to use my 5000 if the 2G network operates in England.

I would be grateful for your advice as to which unit would suit me best for use in England.

Many thanks

Jeff

Best Answer

Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,172
    Superuser
    edited November 2019
    Hi Jeff

Tomtom devices only provide traffic information within the region in which they were purchased. It is also not possible to purchase a regional traffic service. for Europe, or elsewhere, so for example if I travelled to Australia my GO5000 would not provide Traffic even if 2g was available there.

The 2g traffic service does work here in Europe.

Doug
  • JefcarJefcar Posts: 8 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Thanks Doug. I drove in USA with it in 2018 with USA maps installed &I was sure I was getting data on it. Certainly nearby motels etc, which I was sure was beyond map information... there must be a hell of a lot of data in the maps. Thanks for your response,, cheers
    Cheers Doug
  • PedrolamiPedrolami Posts: 11 [Master Explorer]
    An alternative could be using a TMC receiver instead. The statement of a device only receiving traffic in the region for which it is purchased is not strictly true. The 2G connection will only work in its own region, but it can get traffic anywhere it is able to access it.
    I have used a UK satnav in Canada, I purchased the Canada map and connected a Tomtom TMC receiver which got the traffic updates for the region. Worked like a charm.
    Thanks Pedrolami