Forum Language??? — TomTom Community

Forum Language???

John-JayJohn-Jay Posts: 695 [Revered Pioneer]
Hi, @VikramK & @lampard

Is there a specific Language that is required to be used on this Forum?? If so, is that made clear to new Forum Members?

Obviously I realise that English is the most commonly used Language, but have often noticed lots of different Languages used!

The reason that I ask is that a new Forum Member recently asked a question in Italian - in order to make him feel Welcome, I used an Online Translator to interpret his Question, then I made a Response (using the Online Translator to get my response into Italian)!

However, I've noticed that one of the Mods has decided to re-translate it back to English again!!

Whilst I can appreciate that the Question & Response may have been useful to other Forum Members, it does seem unhelpful to deny the original Poster that information!! Surely, at the very least, BOTH the Italian AND English versions should have been left??

Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,922
    Superuser
    edited November 2019
    Hi @John-Jay

There are a couple of other language versions of this forum, to be honest I don't know how many,

The way I have tried to resolve the issue you have raised is to reply in English to their Question then follow it with the Google Translation into their language as well. Maybe try that in future.

Doug
  • John-JayJohn-Jay Posts: 695 [Revered Pioneer]
    Hi, @DougLap ,

Yes, you are right!

However, I do feel strongly that just simply "correcting" a new Member's Post, without any explanation, is not particularly welcoming!!

• NiallNiall Posts: 10,854
    Superuser
    @John-Jay @DougLap
    I raised this back in 2015 (archived discussion)
    Here is another attempt to explain that there is now a more rigorous implementation of clause 9 of the T&Cs
    9. INTERNATIONAL SITE USE.
    All forum content is in English, French or German. TomTom Discussions may not be helpful or relevant to all international customers. Not all products or programs mentioned will be available internationally.

So maybe @lampard was a bit fierce with his interpretation of clause 9, but I agree with
    DougLap wrote:
    The way I have tried to resolve the issue you have raised is to reply in English to their Question then follow it with the Google Translation into their language as well. Maybe try that in future.
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 10,928 Moderator
    edited November 2019
    Hi All

The guidelines state that the forum is available in English/German/ French-

https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/content/id/36

Before we had a very stringent practice of removing topics and posts which were made in a different language and sent a user a PM to post back in English/German or French.

Now the platform allows us to move topics to German and French for those languages and we are trying to translate posts to English with a edit message.

The forum cannot block someone from posting in a different language and I understand that most users who register don't really go through the guidelines or we would never see topics in a different language.

We haven't really had any objections raised for these translation so as long as the user gets helped I see no problems doing this.

Personally I would want to avoid going back to the old practice of removing posts.

Thanks,
    Vikram :)
  • John-JayJohn-Jay Posts: 695 [Revered Pioneer]
    VikramK wrote: »
    Hi All

We haven't really had any objections raised for these translation so as long as the user gets helped I see no problems doing this.

Personally I would want to avoid going back to the old practice of removing posts.

Thanks,
    Vikram :)

I would agree that it is important that the User gets help - however, if the User has Posted in a Language that is NOT one of the 3 recommended Languages, there is a possibility that he ONLY knows his own Language - hence, translating the Response means that he has NOT been helped!

Why couldn't the Original Post (& its response) be left along with the Translation?

• VikramKVikramK Posts: 10,928 Moderator
    edited November 2019
    Hi John,

With all due respect to the different languages used and sentiments attached, we also need to adhere to the guidelines which help to maintain the uniformity of the forum.

Let's not assume that the users have not been helped but rather observe the feedback that we see on these topics. Numbers matter, if we see too much negativity around this I am happy to sit down and discuss it with our team. And that will help us decide what should be the further course of action.

Thank you,
    Vikram.