Can I drive programmed routes with TomTom Go Basic? — TomTom Community

Can I drive programmed routes with TomTom Go Basic?

Hello all,

For work I am looking to buy several TomTom Go Basic units. Very important in that aspect is the ability to drive pre-programmed routes and upload these routes via mydrive to the separate units.

With pre-programmed routes I mean routes with dozens of specific points in the route that they have to pass before reaching the final destination.

Is the TomTom Go Basic able to drive these pre-programmed routes via MyDrive?

Thanks a million!

Cheers
Arjen

Answers

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 18,733
    Superusers
    edited November 2019
    Hi
    @ArjenP76

If you use the Save & Sync option on the MyDrive Web Route Planner
    The Save & Sync option save a .GPX Track... its basicly a bread crumb track that you follow

A Route planned directly on the device is a .ITN Route
    An .ITN Route uses Stops and the device plans the route between the stops... An .ITN Route will will respond to Live Traffic and any route deviations BUT an .ITN route will doggedly follow the stops in the order they were created, if you miss a stop, the device will continuously attempt to guide you to the missed stop... You have to cancel the problem stop on the device to avoid it
    The MyDrive Web Route planner will sync a .ITN Route with a Max of 20 stops

Using a .ITN Route planned on the MDW Route planner...
    The latest version of MyDrive Web Route planner now uses 'Send Destination' or 'Send Stops' to send an .ITN Route
    The MyDrive Web Route planner only sends the route to the device as a Destination... Or if you add Stops it send it as a Route (But it's is not automatically saved in MyRoutes)
    If you are using .ITN route and 'Send Stops'
    see my workaround below

x9kkavu7m0o4.jpg

qkw01ev5tv6s.jpg

Complex Twenty Stop .ITN Route Rider 400
    lv3gbgezr1sx.jpg

Be Aware .ITN Routes....
    If your starting point IS NOT your present location there's a BUG
    When using the 'Send Stops' option, during an "A" to "B" route transfer where 'A' IS NOT your present location... The device drops Location "A"
    This bug also applies also to Multi-Stop/Waypoint routes... 'A' to 'B' to 'C' to' D' to 'E' etc...

Important....
    For a more detailed info about the 'Dropped Stop Bug' Click on the Link....
    See...
    https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1198253/#Comment_1198253

This is the workaround method I use....

The Tomtom MyDrive Web Route Planner....
    Get it Here... https://mydrive.tomtom.com

(1).... Plan my Route with the MyDrive Web Route planner (With or Without Stops as required)

(2)... Zoom in... Place a Sacrificial stop close to the Start Icon

8eaec27f-eba6-4332-bbb7-38ecfdac3110.png
    (4)... Choose the 'Send Stops' option... The route will sync to your device

(5)... The device will calculate your route from your 'Present location'
    (5.1)... The device will calculate your route using Stops in the order that you placed the Stops in the route
    (5.2)... If the planned Start of the Route is your 'Present location'... Then skip Bullet-point... (6)

(6)...When the route has calculated, Pinch zoom to the correct start of your Route (The Sacrificial Stop Icon) 'Long Tap' (Tap and hold for +1 second) on the Sacrificial Stop Icon --> A quick menu opens --> Tap the 3Dot icon --> Choose 'Use as a Starting Point'
    The device will calculate your route from your new location

(7)... Saving the Route
    'Quick Tap' anywhere on the Route --> A quick menu opens --> Tap the 3Dot icon --> Manage route --> Add to my Routes.... Edit the route name as required or simply Tap Add

Note... (1) A 'Quick Tap' and 'Long Tap' of the screen gives different menu options
    Note... (2) The MyDrive Web Route planner will sync a route with a Max of 20 stops

ATB YFM
    Superusers
    edited November 2019
    Hi
    @ArjenP76

The MyDrive Web Route planner will sync a .ITN Route with a Max of 20 stops

I see little point in 200 Stop routes, I planned this route as a test to see the Max Stops with MyRoute APP

A sub set of smaller routes would make makes more sense

But if it 200 stops is what you wanted ???
    The the MyRoute APP (With Gold subscription) works
    See...https://www.myrouteapp.com/routelab

A random 200 Stop .ITN route Around Worcester
    959kpgn0xx5r.jpg
    Route Planned on the MyRoute APP
    Click on image to enlarge
    i20pj5p6tky2.png
    Route Planned on the GO 6200
    vldvpwvfgmf5.jpg
    A Zoomed-in section of the Route on the GO 6200
    219l7fu1txxp.jpg
    ATB YFM
  • ArjenP76ArjenP76 Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hello gents,

Thank you so much both of. you! But the option of creating routes in myroute app (gold) and then upload in Mydrive is the intended way of working. Routes can have up to around 60 route points.

So the end conclusion is "yes" it can be done, correct?

Cheers
    Arjen
    Superusers
    edited November 2019
    Hi
    @ArjenP76
    ArjenP76 wrote: »
    Hello gents,
    Thank you so much both of. you!
    They are both me ;)
    ArjenP76 wrote: »
    But the option of creating routes in myroute app (gold) and then upload in Mydrive is the intended way of working. Routes can have up to around 60 route points.
    So the end conclusion is "yes" it can be done, correct? (Snip)
    'Yes' up to 200 Max
    When I transferred the 200 Stop .ITN route I used the Micro SDHC Card method
    See Method... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1026286/transfer-a-route-to-your-nav4-5-device-using-a-micro-sd-memory-card

Maybe someone who uses the MyRoute App more, will clear this point up....
    The MyRoute App uses the MyDrive Web Route planner as a transfer medium when syncing the .ITN Routes or .GPX Tracks the the Tomtom device...
    I'm not sure if the 20 Stop limit for .ITN Routes still applies when the MyRoute App (Gold) syncs a .ITN Route with more than 20 Stops ???

ATB YFM
    Hahaha so sorry, but again, thank you so much!
  • RoadRiderRoadRider Posts: 655 [Revered Pioneer]
    You only see the 20 stop limit when a Route is send to the Device with MyDrive.
    When more than 21 Stops are send to the MyDrive backend produce the following error;
    {"type":"https://api.mydrive.tomtom.com/gor-webapp/errors/internal-error.html","title":"Internal Error","detail":"Maximum number (20) of waypoints exceeded.. ResponseCode = 400. ErrorCode = 8205","errorType":null}

When a Route is created in a alternative route planning app and loaded directly in the device as an .ITN file TomTom officially supports 255 locations (stops).
    http://download.tomtom.com/open/manuals/rider_400_40/html/en-gb/AboutGPXandITNfiles.htm
    (Most other vendors support less via's for example 50 or 100)

MyRoute App supports max. 200 via's (stops)
    MRA can only upload .GPX and .OV2 directly to Mydrive.
    When you export your MRA Route to a .GPX and import it in MyDrive you will see a Route and a Track version.
    The Route can only be send with Edit Route -> Send Stops Up to 20 stops to the device.
    You can sync this route as a track with my devices when ther are more than 20 stops but then you will loose all Stops. So it's better to load the track version when you want to load the route as a Track.
    To use a >20 stops route as Route you need to export it as .ITN and import it directly on the device using a USB Cable or Micro SD Card.
    For less than 22 stops you can also use SendITNRoute to load ITN or GPX files directly on your device (see my website below)

A route with many stops can be difficult to drive when there are roadblocks because you may have to skip many stops.
    On the other hand 20 stops is not enough to shape your route. If you ask me about 100 Stops is a manageable limit.
    Good morning,

Well, for our purpose it is really required to drive all the point (subject to customer requirement) and we produce routes in myrouteapp (gold) which ahs the ability to export .itn routes. So far, so good.

But if I understand correct, mydrive from TomTom can only handle .gpx files which limits it to 22 stops? That's kind of hmm well you know... So it is almost 2020 and I can't send a route with e.g. 50 stops to a driver/device from my desk? I need to send the .itn route to the driver and he/she needs to manual upload that into the device?