Rider 550 & iPhone XS Bluetooth Connectivity Problem - Page 4 — TomTom Community

Rider 550 & iPhone XS Bluetooth Connectivity Problem

Answers

• MarioPedrazaMarioPedraza Posts: 8 [Master Traveler]
    kieron wrote: »
    Hi there Mars4 and MarioPedraza -

I’ll re-post this for the benefit of those who have not seen my earlier posting above
    On April 13 -

Here is an excerpt posted by JURES (another forum contributor) as a temporary fix for iPhones using iOS 13+ operating systems end of January 2020 onwards -

If you pair the gps with your iPhone WITHOUT the MyDrive app, traffic works flawlessly - perfectly!
    You can even install the MyDrive app afterwards and use it for routing - but -
    JUST DON’T PAIR your gps with the MyDrive app!!!
    Traffic will still work, MyDrive routing will work, the only thing that does not work will be smartphone features (calls/sms) but thats not important if using a motorbike.

Traffic and MyDrive under iOS 13+ works!!!!!
    1. - Delete the MyDrive app on your iPhone
    2. - Delete old Bluetooth pairings of the gps on your iPhone
    3. - Connect the gps to your iPhone over Bluetooth under standard way
    4. - Install the MyDrive app
    5. - DO NOT pair your gps via the MyDrive app
    6. - Have personal hotspot on iPhone turned ON just for *Bluetooth and USB Only*
    - DO NOT pair gps with WiFi of this personal hotspot and make sure WiFi is turned off on your iPhone.

TRAFFIC AND MYDRIVE WILL WORK NON STOP!!

The problem lies within the MyDrive app (pairing through the app).

~Kieron adds~

Apple had introduced new Bluetooth security permissions from iOS 13 and TomTom would have needed to modify their app to make the two separate Bluetooth connections work effectively for traffic data and calls/texts.

Essentially, also using the *Bluetooth and USB Only* pairing hotspot in your iPhone settings will be required for the stable connection and has less of a drain on your phone’s battery compared to the WiFi hotspot setting.
    I am currently using my Rider 500, (Sena 5s and iPhone 7 Plus paired directly for calls) this way successfully.

As JURES (the original contributor of this temporary fix) had explained, you can
    re-install the MyDrive app onto your phone, sign in to it and use it for routing to send to your devices, but just don’t pair the Bluetooth within the app to your gps.

Hi kieron!!! The solution proposed by Tomtom support is to recover all the functionality, including calls, messages, etc, but I don't know if works.
  • uktomtommeruktomtommer Posts: 75 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    So, to recap, we are in 2020, and a technology (Bluetooth) which has been around for as long as 31 YEARS still does not work reliably with the most popular smartphone on this planet.
    I believe any comment would be unnecessary ...
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 8,855
    Superuser
    edited September 2020
    Hi @uktomtommer

If you have an iPhone with an IOS version prior to IOS13 the system works , along with the My Drive App, perfectly it is a security change introduced by IOS13 and later that has stopped the ability to work with the My Drive App as it did. At the moment you can get the Traffic and Handsfree to work using IOS13 but not messaging which is what the App facilitated.

I think you will find that the introduction of IOS14.0.1 so soon after IOS14 was because other products were having issues with IOS14.

Doug
    I actually have an Android, not an Iphone, but the fact remains the connection is incredibly unstable and temperamental with both.

We are talking about a connection to transfer very little data; it is 2020 and Bluetooth is more than 3 decades old - these glitches are simply not acceptable. Had I known, I would not have bought the Rider.

• fdwlawfdwlaw Posts: 2 [New Seeker]
    I believe I have figured out the problem with the Bluetooth issue (provided you are able to actually make the connection).
    The issue appears to be with the “MyDrive “ app not running in the background and secondary there is no option in Location Services (ALLOW LOCATION ACCESS) to have the app to “Always” .
    Currently I have not figured out how this can be fixed, except by the developer of the app. So sad that TT has made the decision to not have phone support.
    I limit this problem by exempting the MyDrive app from battery optimisation (how to do it depends on your specific phone, google is your friend) and by ensuring I manually launch the MyDrive app on the phone before turning on the headset and the TomTom.

I say "limit" because, even so, the connection is temperamental at best.
  • dowmarekdowmarek Posts: 5 [Master Explorer]
    edited October 2020
    RoadRider wrote: »
    The Garmin's Zumo XT doesn't use BLE as far as I know.
    I also owned a Garmin's Zumo XT and had many issues with it.
    I don't think that you had a Zumo XT if you write such nonsense.
    GPS reception often lost when placed to close to my TFT (Rider and phone work at the same spot)
    the only 'guilty' is Triumph, as far as I know
    The new recalculation feature often fails when taking a detour for example at a roadblock. Recalculation is also much slower than on the TomTom.
    how and by what did you measure the recalculation time?
    Loading a track and starting it is really a cumber stone compared to the Rider.
    Oh, really?
    Adventures Routing is really a joke. It only takes main roads.
    I guess when you have a profile set for the car
    Far more map errors than TomTom.
    what do you mean by 'errors'?
    Bluetooth some times lost the connection with my headset. Sometimes the voice is distorted.
    then maybe you need to check that with your headset everything is fine
    Lots of useless "No delay" messages and some traffic Jams are not mentioned.
    Garmin's traffic is better than TMC but far worse compared to TomTom Traffic.
    except that in Garmin it works without a problem while TomTom cannot keep a stable connection to the phone to get data

• RoadRiderRoadRider Posts: 726 [Revered Pioneer]
    On my KTM 1290 SAS the XT has really bad GPS reception. I know on the Triumph and Yamaha Tracer this problem is even worse. So its not Triumph only. And why do both my phone and Rider 550 work on the same spot.

I did not have to measure the calculation time. XT and Rider 550 (or phone with Go App) where mounted side by side. The difference is huge.

Traffic works great both on my Rider 550 and Go App. But I have a Moto X4 Android phone. (only some times no 4G when riding in Germany)

Loading a route on the XT from PC.

Open Browser -> https://explore.garmin.com/ -> (Login -> username -> password ->) Map -> upload Icon -> import GPX -> Import as a track -> Add your imported items to existing collections -> Selecteer -> Next -> Sleep GPX bestand -> import

(Every new file first F5 to refresh for next upload to work.)

Start XT -> Akkoord

Spoor -> Slinger icon -> Kies track -> Sleutel Icon -> Kies kleur -> Kleur kiezen + Sla op -> Converteer naar reis -> Begint tot Einde -> Naam aanpassen + OK -> Wait -> OK -> Vinkje Toon op Kaart -> Terug icon -> Terug icon -> Terug icon -> Terug icon

Then starting to drive;

Apps -> Reisplanner -> Opgeslagen reizen -> Reis Kiezen -> (bewerk mending) OK -> Ga! -> Begin of Dichtstbijzijnde + OK -> Wait -> Start

Total 23 Kliks.

Load multiple routes from PC on TomTom Rider;

Sellect all the routes you like te transfer in Windows Explorer -> Drag to LoadTrack Icon -> (Only the first time you have to add your Mydrive accounts ->) Send Track(s) to Mydrive -> Close.
    (Works faster than MyDrive)

Start Rider
    ... Menu -> MyRoutes -> Sellect Track -> Drive -> Begin of Dichtstbijzijnde punt

Additional for showing the Trackpoints (before starting route)
    ... Menu -> Instellingen -> Uiterlijk -> Toon POI-listen op kaart ->selecteer je track -> Klik op “Verberg” achter dit bestand en Kies nu één van de vijf kleuren -> Back -> Back -> Back (deze stappen met verberg of wissen herhalen na het rijden)

(sorry didn't have the time to translate all from my original dutch post)

The TX auto selects Bike in the cradle so Adventures Routing was using the Bike profile. And her is one of the biggest problems with the XT. It does not route over small roads. When driving a route based on a track an you have to take a small detour. The XT send wou over a main road nearby even when you are back on your track.

With Map Errors i mean closed roads (for example ony agricultural traffic) that are open on the map. Wrong maximum speed limit. Unpaved roads that are paved on the map.
    (I don't say TomTom maps don't have this problems (especially in Germany) but less than Garmin. Garmin routing will normally not bring you to this rouds but when you are on the small roads for example driving a Kurviger Track and take a detour Garmin sends you from Mapp error to map error)

My headset work fine on my Rider 550. And I am certainly not the only one whit BT stability issues on my headset.

I drove about 6000 KM with the XT and I had to stop many times to correct things like reloading my Route. I found out the only way to make it stable was disabling recalculation. Sorry even free apps like OsmAnd and Kurviger are 10x better. So I gave up an sold it.

My Rider 550 is reliable and is able to navigate even small roads with great traffic information. Sure it can be improved....
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 20,063
    Superusers
    edited October 2020
    Hi
    I had a Ga*m*n for a month :'( that was three weeks to long...
    I retuned it to the shop and exchanged it under their 30 Day Customer satisfaction guarantee.... I was fed-up with the weird routing very poor Traffic and garish screen....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • Hans3333Hans3333 Posts: 4 [New Seeker]
    Hello,

Thanks for all the information.

In JURES fix it is mentioned to:

6. - Have personal hotspot on iPhone turned ON just for *Bluetooth and USB Only*

On my iPhone 8 with iOs 14.2 that is not possible, only Wifi.

07kf1jixz2sg.png

Any idea why not?
  • kieronkieron Posts: 513
    Superusers
    Hi there Hans3333 -
    Go to your iPhone settings, then make sure
    1. WiFi is Off.
    2. Bluetooth is On.
    3. Mobile Data slider switch is to the right and showing a green colour (On).
    4. Personal Hotspot settings “Allow others to Join” it was set for “Bluetooth and USB Only” and NOT “Turn on WiFi’
    Thanks, that's the trick.
    Going to test the TT rider this evening.
    Superusers
    Hi Hans3333 -
    Thank you for letting the forum know it was helpful.
    Ok, that's working.
    But, I think in the end using a Wifi dongle will be the best option, no need to switch the hotspot on and off.

The main problem with the Rider is that it is "smartphone connected".
    In the car versions they are still selling devices with an integrated SIM card. That would have saved us all a lot of trouble.

So, TomTom, if you can't fix the iPhone issues, that would be a good option for the next Rider version. (with a good return policy for 550 owners).

Next step for me is to get my Sena SMH5 working with both the phone as the TT. I am only not sure if it is having the required 2 bt-channels. But that's for another forum.
    Superusers
    edited December 2020
    Hi Hans3333 -

Essentially, also using the *Bluetooth and USB Only* pairing hotspot in your iPhone settings will be required for the stable connection and - most importantly - has less of a drain on your phone’s battery compared to the WiFi hotspot setting.
    I am currently using my Rider 500, (Sena 5s and iPhone 7 Plus paired directly for calls) this way successfully using the A2DP setting on the Rider.
    Good luck and safe riding! :)
    Hello Kieron,

It looks good now. Reading the .... Sena manual did help :) . The trick is to use what they call Multipoint GPS pairing. I only don't have a A2DP connection to the Rider, but I think the SMH5 is older then the 5s. But it works.

Thanks again for all the help and usefull information.

Stay healthy!
  • Tomrx7Tomrx7 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    now it’s been over a year since this problem started with iOS 13 , was about to buy a rider 550 , has this issue been fixed yet running iPhone 12 Pro Max on 14.4
  • Nigel ANigel A Posts: 123 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    Tomrx7 wrote: »
    now it’s been over a year since this problem started with iOS 13 , was about to buy a rider 550 , has this issue been fixed yet running iPhone 12 Pro Max on 14.4

Errr, that will be a NO. There are work arounds to get traffic on the 550 but that's about it. If you want a sat nav for basic navigation, with some buggering around to get traffic, then the 550 is as good as any budget Aldi special, unfortunately its 3 times the price. Cant believe that Tomtom are still billing this rubbish as a premier sat nav. While simply ignoring all the problems.
  • Tomrx7Tomrx7 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Nigel A wrote: »
    Tomrx7 wrote: »

Errr, that will be a NO. There are work arounds to get traffic on the 550 but that's about it. If you want a sat nav for basic navigation, with some buggering around to get traffic, then the 550 is as good as any budget Aldi special, unfortunately its 3 times the price. Cant believe that Tomtom are still billing this rubbish as a premier sat nav. While simply ignoring all the problems.

That’s dreadful that a large company would continue in selling what is basically an expensive brick , I’m surprised trading standards etc havnt started to ask questions of tomtom as to why there advertising a product with features that don’t work with around 60% of smart phone users especially the fact that the issue has been known about for over a year and there is no warnings on the product description that users of iOS 13 and above can’t use all the features

I bought mine from Tomtom, and fell for the fact that its "quite a nice unit" and Tom tom will "sort out the software problems" Which it is a bit obvious now, that Tomtom never had any intention of sorting it out. In fact they still don't, as witnessed by the fact that they are still peddling this rubbish. The smart people bought from a UK retailer, and promptly returned them under trade description / distance buying regulations.
    Superusers
    edited February 3
    I purchased my Rider 500 which is not too dissimilar to a 550 in November 2019 and have found it to be an excellent robust device. My Bluetooth connection using the iPhone hotspot directly to the Rider to receive traffic data and not via the MyDrive app has been faultless.
    I turn on the hotspot, turn on the Rider and within 30-60 seconds, traffic information appears on screen. I don't find this at all difficult to initiate and on some four hour bike rides, there has been no disruption to receiving the traffic data.
    Secondly, I connect the Rider directly to my Bluetooth headset which has also given faultless directions and speed camera warnings. If my phone rings, calls are accepted and even though I can't see who is calling as the MyDrive app is not linked, I don't find it a serious issue, the same with any mobile text based information that the MyDrive app may have delivered.

The build quality, quad core processor, IPX7-certified weatherproof design, updates over wifi, RAM mount kit, quarterly map updates, roundtrip planning, lifetime traffic and speed cameras etc. (see the full specs.) would far outweigh anything Aldi could possibly offer for a third of the price as far as I'm aware.
    So, basically, the Rider currently cannot show you any mobile phone text based info. or phone call identification on its screen if you are running anything from iOS 13+, but everything else works fine.
    As far as I'm concerned, there is no messing around trying to connect to traffic and the term "expensive brick" equates to something that does not work at all -
    which is not the case.

— UPDATE —

The TomTom MyDrive app on iOS has been updated to v.2.12.2
    (Updated model support).
    There has been no improvement reported.
  • rdolezelrdolezel Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
    I bought Tomtom Rider 550 today. I would like to thank all who post valuable workaround instructions to this topic.

Unfortunately as many others I've found MyDrive BT's connection not working on my iPhone with iOS 14.4. Is my understanding correct that native BT connection is used for tethering (personal hotspot) only and it's not possible to use MyDrive to send the route directly from my iPhone to the device (which is not connected via BT) so it's necessary to save it to the cloud first?
    If you sync your phone with your Mydrive account, the 550 should be able to connect to the internet Mydrive account directly via WiFi. I have no trouble with my PC Mydrive and syncing via wifi. POI's and my drive are another matter !!!!
    Superusers
    edited February 11
    Hi there @rdolezel -

Yes - your understanding is correct in that you need a native BT connection for tethering.
    As @Nigel A has stated above, you can sign in to your MyDrive app account on your iPhone (but not linking your Rider 550 within the app), you can successfully send a route to your your Rider. Your iPhone will use the 3G/4G/5G signal to connect to your MyDrive cloud account then re-send it to your Rider over the iPhone Bluetooth hotspot connection.
    POI's are also shown that are linked to your account.
    Do not turn on WiFi on your iPhone as this will disable the Bluetooth hotspot.
    Good luck.
  • oortegafoortegaf Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi, with this solution can I see the radars?