Rider 550 & iPhone XS Bluetooth Connectivity Problem - Page 3 — TomTom Community

Rider 550 & iPhone XS Bluetooth Connectivity Problem

Answers

• SonicBoomSonicBoom Posts: 8 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I've updated to 13.4 on my iPhone x and so far seems stable - albeit just around the house - when I can get the opportunity to go out I'll check things and report back!
  • dowmarekdowmarek Posts: 5 [Master Explorer]
    I also updated to to latest iOS 13.4.1 and unfortunately nothing has improved. The connection is active for a while and then it breaks and no longer reconnects.
    I had high hopes but no such luck - pretty useless really as this has been going on since last year! We have two other TomTom gps (5200 and 6200) both great products but all I need is stability and traffic data as promised. Anyhow I’m moving on to Garmin Zumo XT and sadly shall offload my rider 550.......
  • kieronkieron Posts: 513
    Superusers
    Hi there dowmarek & SonicBoom -

Here is an excerpt posted by JURES (another forum contributor) as a temporary fix for iPhones using iOS 13+ operating systems end of January -

If you pair gps with iPhone without MyDrive app, traffic works flawlessly - perfectly!
    You can even install the MyDrive app afterwards and use it for routing - but - JUST DONT PAIR gps over the app!!!
    Traffic will still work, MyDrive routing will work, the only thing that does not work will be smartphone features (calls / sms) but thats not important on bike.

Traffic and MyDrive under iOS 13+ works!!!!!
    - Delete MyDrive app on iPhone
    - Delete old Bluetooth pairings of gps on iPhone
    - Connect gps to iPhone over Bluetooth under standard way
    - Install MyDrive app
    - DO NOT pair gps over the app
    - have personal hotspot on iPhone turned ON just for Bluetooth and USB Only
    - DO NOT pair gps with WiFi of this personal hotspot

TRAFFIC AND MY DRIVE WILL WORK NON STOP!!

Problem is in the app (pairing through the app)

Using the Bluetooth and USB Only pairing hotspot will have less of a drain on your phone’s battery compared to the WiFi hotspot connection.
    As JURES (the original contributor of this temporary fix) had explained, you can re-install the MyDrive app onto your phone, sign in to it and use it for routing to send to your devices, but just don’t pair the Bluetooth within the app to your gps.

Good luck.
    Hi Kieron - thanks for the workaround - looks like a good solution in the short term lets hope TomTom can offer a full fix in the future - I do like the other features as well but sure for some this will be fine!
    Superusers
    Hi there SonicBoom -

Full credit goes to JURES - have a great day. B)
    Thanks for the hint Kieron. I'll try to check it out, but I decided to order Garmin Zumo XT and I hope it'll work right out of the box.
  • GettingfedupnowGettingfedupnow Posts: 20 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    edited April 2020
    I paired mine both ways. Iphone XS setting first, the Mydrive app second. I can get phone connections OK, I can get text connections OK - the Mydrive side for traffic and camera's works sometimes and not others..
    I found that it needed both pairing to have even a chance of working properly.
    Both sides needed connections approving on the iphone. Phone settings first. App settings second

If you get this right, your bluetooth settings on the phone shows TWO connections to your Rider, when it shows that, you are in with a shout of it working. Sometimes I find I have to delete and re-pair to get it working, but as long as it is phone first, app second - it works (ish)
    I did not use or need a hotspot doing it this way.
    It is better but it is far from being correct. Tomtom are still a shower, they still need to pull their fingers out of their back passage. It is still messy.

9n827vwolo5z.jpg
    49z9q93iqskc.jpg
    Problem solved!
    I sold my TomTom Rider and I started using Garmin zumo xt :p
  • LepreLepre Posts: 107 [Sovereign Trailblazer]
    Benellista wrote: »
    Hello Everyone, new user here.

I just bought the 550, updated it with the latest firmware, software, maps, autovelox etc with my wifi connection at home.

I own an iPhone xs with iOS 13.2 ( the latest software ) and it's almost impossible to get the connection between my phone and the navigation. Also the My Drive app says that Device is not in range, bluetooth of my iphone says that connection is ok between the devices... what is wrong with that?

I hope i didn't throw the money in the trash....

Any help is appreciated

Hi,
    same problem with iPhone 11 Pro iOS13.4.1
  • BrunoMeloBrunoMelo Posts: 6 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hello,
    How are you managing to create a bluetooth only hotspot?

The only way I can get the app to work is to create an wifi hotspot on my iphone and targeting it as the wifi network on the TT.

I have 2 devices on the bluetooth list of the iphone, but even so, it will not work correctly.
  • Nigel ANigel A Posts: 123 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    Check out Kierons and Jures posts above. With the Jures method you can get reliable traffic from an iphone. You cannot get hands free or phone notifications. Tomtom have given up on the 520 (and some others) and will not talk to you.
  • BrunoMeloBrunoMelo Posts: 6 [Apprentice Traveler]
    well, I just had a glimpse of everything working correctly.

I deleted everything, bluetooth pairings, apps, etc.

Started the process on the TT; followed all the steps, downloaded the app on the iphone, it asks for 2 pairings. Meaning you will see 2 tomtom rider devices in the bluetooth settings of the iphone.

Restarted TT, and after 30/40s it surprisingly was connected.

Sending a destination on the mydrive app to the gps works, the sms and calls it says its working but I haven´t tested.
    dowmarek wrote: »
    Problem solved!

Likewise went the Zumo XT route - works just fine!p5vyyexokklm.jpeg

• MitoMito Posts: 7 [Master Explorer]
    SonicBoom wrote: »
    dowmarek wrote: »
    Problem solved!

Likewise went the Zumo XT route - works just fine!p5vyyexokklm.jpeg

Same solution here...
    Garmin XT connects with iOS 13.6 as a charm.
    TomTom "reaver" 550 gone to the basket of "never again".

(by the way, my 17 years old Garmin GPS12 still running. My TomTom One gone to the Week Number Rollover heaven forever... Already said "never again"?)
  • Zane0081Zane0081 Posts: 2 [New Seeker]
    Hi all,

I have recently bought the TomTom Rider 500 and have it paired with an iPhone 11 Pro iOS 13.6 and N-Com headset. The headset connection is fine and consistent.

The issue is with the iPhone, the connection consistently drops according to the two Bluetooth items in the list of devices. I presume one is Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) and the other standard for calls and messages?

If unpairing and re-pairing the iPhone and Rider I can get a connection for a short period including the ability to send a route to the Rider from the MyDrive app, also the phone icon appears and I can initiate Siri to make a call. But after a short time the connection drops.

When the connection drops I see the error in MyDrive and phone icon missing from the Rider map screen. However one of the two Bluetooth items in the Bluetooth list in iOS still says connected.

I have restarted the phone, the Rider and unpaired/repaired several times.

Since I just bought the device in June and we are now at the end of July I am writing to see if this issue is related to the same problem originally posted here in November 2019?

Thanks everyone for your support!
  • Zane0081Zane0081 Posts: 2 [New Seeker]
    BrunoMelo wrote: »
    well, I just had a glimpse of everything working correctly.

I deleted everything, bluetooth pairings, apps, etc.

Started the process on the TT; followed all the steps, downloaded the app on the iphone, it asks for 2 pairings. Meaning you will see 2 tomtom rider devices in the bluetooth settings of the iphone.

Restarted TT, and after 30/40s it surprisingly was connected.

Sending a destination on the mydrive app to the gps works, the sms and calls it says its working but I haven´t tested.

Hi @BrunoMelo what version of iOS are you using?
  • johnsondvrjohnsondvr Posts: 29 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    Had enough of this and switching over to Garmin Zumo XT. Bye bye TomTom. I will not be back.
  • uktomtommeruktomtommer Posts: 75 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    Can anyone confirm if the Zumo XT uses blutooth low energy or not?
    I am having bluetooth issues between the Rider 550 and my Huawei phone.

Also, where in the world are you, and how did you find Garmin's traffic data vs TomTom's ?
  • RoadRiderRoadRider Posts: 726 [Revered Pioneer]
    The Garmin's Zumo XT doesn't use BLE as far as I know.
    I also owned a Garmin's Zumo XT and had many issues with it.
    • GPS reception often lost when placed to close to my TFT (Rider and phone work at the same spot)
    • The new recalculation feature often fails when taking a detour for example at a roadblock. Recalculation is also much slower than on the TomTom.
    • Loading a track and starting it is really a cumber stone compared to the Rider.
    • Adventures Routing is really a joke. It only takes main roads.
    • Far more map errors than TomTom.
    • Bluetooth some times lost the connection with my headset. Sometimes the voice is distorted.
    • Lots of useless "No delay" messages and some traffic Jams are not mentioned.

Garmin's traffic is better than TMC but far worse compared to TomTom Traffic.
  • RoadRiderRoadRider Posts: 726 [Revered Pioneer]
    On some other fora people report stable connections using iOS 14 with the TomTom Rider 550 during the first tests.

So it looks like Apple has fixed this issue in iOS 13.
  • Mars4Mars4 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    edited September 2020
    Just updated my iPhone XR to IOS 14 and connection procedure using My Drive app went flawless. I now have 2 Bluetooth connections with my 500.

With previous IOS 13.x (don't know exact last version) experienced same problems as described in this thread.

So it seems that Apple fixed the problem.
  • Mars4Mars4 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Mars4 wrote: »
    Just updated my iPhone XR to IOS 14 and connection procedure using My Drive app went flawless. I now have 2 Bluetooth connections with my 500.

With previous IOS 13.x (don't know exact last version) experienced same problems as described in this thread.

So it seems that Apple fixed the problem.

After testing it on the bike it turns out the Bluetooth connection drops and can't use Traffic info or Mydrive. So problem still occurs and is NOT solved using IOS 14.
    Performed several attempts to setup a connection, even new install of MyDrive app but problem remain.
  • MarioPedrazaMarioPedraza Posts: 8 [Master Traveler]
    Hi!

Tomtom technical support told me yesterday that these are the steps to follow to resolve the problem:

1 - Log in again if the devices are no longer associated.
    - Phone: Go to Settings> Bluetooth> Unpair all TomTom devices.
    - Device: Settings> Bluetooth> Delete all associated phones.
    2 - Is the data connection allowed?
    On iPhone, it's called a personal hotspot. Go to Settings> Personal Access Point and activate it. This requires both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth to be turned on.
    On Android, it's called tethering. Go to Settings> Connections> Mobile speed camera and tethering and turn on Bluetooth tethering.
    3 - After scanning the QR code, the My Drive app should display a message asking you for permission to access the notifications. If that doesn't happen, the user can allow the notifications through the settings.
    4 - For iOS users, after making the association in the Bluetooth menu, the user must return to the MyDrive app and press Pair again to complete the association. Sometimes a pop-up window appears, while other times you have to do it manually in the MyDrive app.
    Unfortunately, I returned the rider, so I can't test it. Could you tell me if it works? Thanks.
    Superusers
    Hi there Mars4 and MarioPedraza -

I’ll re-post this for the benefit of those who have not seen my earlier posting above
    On April 13 -

Here is an excerpt posted by JURES (another forum contributor) as a temporary fix for iPhones using iOS 13+ operating systems end of January 2020 onwards -

If you pair the gps with your iPhone WITHOUT the MyDrive app, traffic works flawlessly - perfectly!
    You can even install the MyDrive app afterwards and use it for routing - but -
    JUST DON’T PAIR your gps with the MyDrive app!!!
    Traffic will still work, MyDrive routing will work, the only thing that does not work will be smartphone features (calls/sms) but thats not important if using a motorbike.

Traffic and MyDrive under iOS 13+ works!!!!!
    1. - Delete the MyDrive app on your iPhone
    2. - Delete old Bluetooth pairings of the gps on your iPhone
    3. - Connect the gps to your iPhone over Bluetooth under standard way
    4. - Install the MyDrive app
    5. - DO NOT pair your gps via the MyDrive app
    6. - Have personal hotspot on iPhone turned ON just for *Bluetooth and USB Only*
    - DO NOT pair gps with WiFi of this personal hotspot and make sure WiFi is turned off on your iPhone.

TRAFFIC AND MYDRIVE WILL WORK NON STOP!!

The problem lies within the MyDrive app (pairing through the app).

~Kieron adds~

Apple had introduced new Bluetooth security permissions from iOS 13 and TomTom would have needed to modify their app to make the two separate Bluetooth connections work effectively for traffic data and calls/texts.

Essentially, also using the *Bluetooth and USB Only* pairing hotspot in your iPhone settings will be required for the stable connection and has less of a drain on your phone’s battery compared to the WiFi hotspot setting.
    I am currently using my Rider 500, (Sena 5s and iPhone 7 Plus paired directly for calls) this way successfully.

As JURES (the original contributor of this temporary fix) had explained, you can
    re-install the MyDrive app onto your phone, sign in to it and use it for routing to send to your devices, but just don’t pair the Bluetooth within the app to your gps.