Why don't TomTom Rider units operate live services via a sim card like the car based items?

Mike Miles
Mike Miles Registered Users Posts: 5
Apprentice Traveler
Have been tempted to update my Rider V4 by the latest offer, but am still disapointed to see the Rider units need a smartphone link for live services! What's the problem in having them operate on a sim card like the car and truck based units?

Answers

• YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 20,817
    Superuser
    edited November 2019
    Hi
    @Mike Miles

Who knows... Maybe the size of the Motorcycle Market is too small and would not support the price rise required to develop, support and sell a SIM based Rider 5xx ???

ATB YFM
  • John-Jay
    John-Jay Registered Users Posts: 746
    Revered Pioneer
    Hi, @Mike Miles,

Having owned a SIM Based TomTom, I really would NOT recommend them! Always losing Connection &, for most journeys, spent most of the Journey searching for the connection!
  • miketorcy
    miketorcy Posts: 3,558
    Superuser
    It is a good question. I have a GO6200 with a SIM card included and it work well. It is very confortable not to have to connect it with a smartphone even if it is simple to connect it with my redmi nopte 7.
    It is a good advantage versus Garmin which do not give this possibility.
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 20,817
    Superuser
    edited November 2019
    Hi
    I have Several Live (SIM) Tomtom models and would recommend them
    Its very rare I have a problem with connectivity....

ATB YFM
  • Mike Miles
    Mike Miles Registered Users Posts: 5
    Apprentice Traveler
    A few interesting comments, but it would be interesting to hear from TomTom BV...
    Development cost would be very small - just building the car unit into the Rider casing and adding bike specific functionality to the chip - just a re-flash surely? That would also score on economies of scale, same internals with just different funtionality activated for different markets - or is that already the case with the additional (misguided) cost-saving of the sim card omission?
    I'm really not minded to upgrade to the latest Rider without fully stand alone live services...