Waiting for device issue recurrs — TomTom Community

Waiting for device issue recurrs

gabal_mgabal_m Posts: 4 [Apprentice Seeker]
I have a Tomtom Go510 which I am not abe to update. I have a new PC running Win10 and an older laptop runnng Win10 too. Tried in both systems with the result that the update is downloaded but then the update process is stuck with "waiting for device" message. Tomtom is directly connected to desktop. Multiple USB ports have been attempted. The basic solutions including restarting, soft reset, reinstalling software have been attempted. When I check device manager after connecting device to computer I cant see Tomtom anywhere though under network adapters, Remote NDIS Compatible Device is present. Please let me know if there any suggestions to update the device.

Answers

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,266
    Superusers
    Hi
    @gabal_m

On the rare occasions I have a problem with myDrive Connect
    I Delete MyDrive Connect using the free version of Revo Uninstaller
    If you're using a Windows PC... Delete MyDrive Connect using the free version of Revo Uninstaller
    If you're using a Mac... Surely there must be a Deep Clean Un-installer Program available for a Mac ???
    Download & install the free version of Revo Uninstaller
    Here...https://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html
    Revo first uninstalls the Program... Then scans and removes all of the left over files a normal uninstall leaves behind
    Video using the Revo Uninstaller
    The Free & Pro Versions use the same process....

(1)... Uninstall MyDrive Connect Using the Revo Uninstaller
    (2)... Clear your browsers cache (Optional, but I find it helps)
    (3)... Restart your PC (Not Turn Off & Turn On again)
    Reinstall MyDrive Connnect (Important... Without your device connected)
    Connect & Turn on your device... Login to MyDrive Connect

Important also see....
    NAV4 Memory Size v Map Size Catch22....
    See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1670583/#Comment_1670583
    ATB YFM
  • Fausto_GSRFausto_GSR Posts: 10 [Master Traveler]
    I have a similar issue about two hours ago after many many try!!

You have to install manually the "Remote NDIS Compatible Device" from control panel of windows 10. You have to do a manual reinstall of driver because apparently the TOMTOM Driver has no valid digital firm.
    You need to choose manually the driver from microsoft..............
  • gabal_mgabal_m Posts: 4 [Apprentice Seeker]
    YamFazMan wrote: »
    Hi
    @gabal_m

On the rare occasions I have a problem with myDrive Connect
    I Delete MyDrive Connect using the free version of Revo Uninstaller
    If you're using a Windows PC... Delete MyDrive Connect using the free version of Revo Uninstaller
    If you're using a Mac... Surely there must be a Deep Clean Un-installer Program available for a Mac ???
    Download & install the free version of Revo Uninstaller
    Here...https://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html
    Revo first uninstalls the Program... Then scans and removes all of the left over files a normal uninstall leaves behind
    Video using the Revo Uninstaller
    The Free & Pro Versions use the same process....

(1)... Uninstall MyDrive Connect Using the Revo Uninstaller
    (2)... Clear your browsers cache (Optional, but I find it helps)
    (3)... Restart your PC (Not Turn Off & Turn On again)
    Reinstall MyDrive Connnect (Important... Without your device connected)
    Connect & Turn on your device... Login to MyDrive Connect

Important also see....
    NAV4 Memory Size v Map Size Catch22....
    See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1670583/#Comment_1670583
    ATB YFM

Thanks. Though I haven't installed the Revo uninstaller, I have tried the update in a brand new computer with a fresh installation of my connect. Both My Connect and the device recognise each other (I can see on the device that the device and the computer are connected). Download of the update happens fine. And thereafter there is no more action - "Waiting for your device" is all I see. I have tried it in multiple PCs but the result is the same. I have also uninstalled and reinstalled - no change in results.
  • gabal_mgabal_m Posts: 4 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Fausto_GSR wrote: »
    I have a similar issue about two hours ago after many many try!!

You have to install manually the "Remote NDIS Compatible Device" from control panel of windows 10. You have to do a manual reinstall of driver because apparently the TOMTOM Driver has no valid digital firm.
    You need to choose manually the driver from microsoft..............

OK this I haven't tried as of yet. Let me try it and get back.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 7,745
    Superuser
    Hi @gabal_m

Have you fitted an extra memory card. If not it could be that the update is too big for the internal memory and so cannot be loaded. A 16gb or maximum 32gb micro SD class 10 card from a branded supplier like Sandisk or Samsung would be fine. Some more obscure makes have been known to not work in the TT units.

Doug
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,266
    Superusers
    edited November 2019
    Hi
    @gabal_m

The latest NAV4 Full Europe Map size is now 8.465GB... This is an unfortunate, but real Catch22 situation... Some maps now exceed the NAV4 devices built-in Memory... Also see Note (1)

Insert a 16GB or 32GB Memory card... The Memory Card can only contain Maps or be used to transfer Planned .ITN or .GPX Routes
    The Map cannot be split across the on-board Memory and a Micro SDHC Card... For the new larger Maps maps you need to install a Branded Class 10 Micro SDHC memory card
    The latest Full Europe Map is 8.465GB so a 8GB Memory Card is useless, a 16GB or 32GB is required (32GB is the Max size Class 10 Micro SDHC Card for a Tomtom device)

Catch22 situation No Maps Found Error....
    Tomtom are allocating a small map to install on the on-board Memory of the NAV4 devices, to give access to the Micro SDHC Card Format Option
    The advantage of the small Map would be plenty of working space on the device (400 MB is considered the minimum Free Space the more Free Space the faster the device will operate)...
    The smaller map will also act as a 'Keeper' This will enable the device to keep running on the smaller Map and avoid the Catch22 situation No Maps Found Error, where the device won't boot-up past the No Maps Found Error to allow access to the 'Format option' to allow the use of a 16GB or 32GB Micro SDHC memory card
    Also if you ever need to remove the Micro SDHC Card for any reason... Like transferring pre-planned routes via a Micro SDHC Card or Formatting a new/replacement Micro SDHC Card, the Keeper Map will allow the device to keep running

Note (1)
    If you wish to just stick with using the internal memory Instead of using a Micro USB Card
    Tomtom have released the Europe map in different Map Cuts (Map zones)... Will any of these new Maps suit your travel requirements ???
    More information Here... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1660206/#Comment_1660206

If Required maybe @VikramK or @lampard the Forum Moderators will allocate a smaller Map Say the UK&ROI Map to the account....
    First install the Small Map onto the GO 510 onboard Memory to act as a 'Keeper' and to force the Full Europe map to load onto the Micro SDHC Memory card....

ATB YFM
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 11,624 Moderator
    @gabal_m

Just to add to @YamFazMan post, I see that your device comes with World Lifetime maps so you can install a smaller map like Venezuela to the internal memory.

Regards
    Vikram
  • davekirkman62davekirkman62 Posts: 7 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I also have this problem and have installed a 32gig memory card but still no joy
    I would be quite happy with just a uk and Ireland maps
    Superuser
    Hi @davekirkman62

Could you please explain a little more about what you are trying to do and what you have done so far.

Doug
    I am trying to update my go500 i have done all the resets which caused me to lose the voice and voice activation, i have tried to install to a micro sd card but to no avail.
    Superuser
    Hi @davekirkman62

Have you formatted the card in the GO500, If you have not been asked when you installed it then look in settings for the option to Format the card.

When you open My Drive Connect and the GO500 is attached do you see the the amount of free space shown for the internal and external memory near the top.

If you are having problems getting the software to download the available updates firstly ask it to do the updates one at a time.

Finally have a look at @yamfazman's post on the attached link. Ignore the first couple of lines but do as he suggests and reinstall the MDC software including the use of the Revo software to delete the old version.

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1691669/#Comment_1691669

ATB

Doug
    yes ive formatted the card, it downloads then says waiting for your device.
    i have also tried on a new laptop and still get the same. I have 4 updates waiting to be installed it says i need the nav 4 update before i can update anything else, but it wont let me update Rav 4
    Superuser
    Hi @davekirkman62

The NAV4 update should be shown as force selected and probably greyed out. Make sure you have not selected any other updates and if the QuickGPS is also force preselected and greyed out do not try to change that . You have to complete those updates first before you can do any of the other updates .

Doug
    but it wont even let me update NAV 4
    Superuser
    Hi @davekirkman62

Maybe @VikramK can have a look tomorrow at the Logs for your device on the TT servers and see what is happening. Have a look here tomorrow.

Doug
    Hi @davekirkman62

I see there are two devices linked to your TomTom account. Could you mention here the first two initials for the serial number, please?

Thank you
    Vikram
    Qx
    Is there anyway to delete the map that is on your device and start afresh
    Superuser
    HI @davekirkman62

You only get the option to delete a map if you have 2 or more maps on the device. The reason for this is that the devices need a map in order to boot up and start therefore they will not let you delete the only map you have.

When @VikramK is back tomorrow and sees the QX prefix you have given him then he can sort things out. If he allocates the UK map to your account and you can download it to the internal memory then you can look to sort out the Memory card and load the normal Europe map on that . When you have done that leave the UK map on the device because if you have a problem during an update of the Europe map and lose it you have the UK map to help you start the device normally.

Doug
    Hi @davekirkman62

Have you recently linked the device to a different account? I don't find the device with the serial number starting QX linked now?

I have sent you a private message, could you reply to me there, please?

Regards
    Vikram