Go500 has randomly died... — TomTom Community

Go500 has randomly died...

I keep my device up to date for maps and software. Started noticing it would cut out in the middle of a trip - just turn itself off. Had to be forcibly restarted. After the last update (which included some kind of power component update), it won't work anymore. It gets to the tomtom logo, but gets hung up, switches off, or gets stuck playing the startup sound in a horrible screechy way. Then has to be forcibly turned off. And won't switch on again despite holding the button etc etc. It showed the startup info screen once. It connects to laptop/mydriveconnect ok - and they talk to eachother, but once disconnected, it won't start again. Really not good as the device is only 3-4 yrs old. This is not adequate service life.
Is there any way to run a diagnostic? Any suggestions otherwise?
thanks, rino
Tagged:

Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,888
    Superuser
    Hi @rinosphere

Are you able to complete the Recovery Process as described in the following Video. The 3 Tap timing is the tricky bit and you will be lucky to get it right the first time.

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1034277/how-to-recover-your-device/p1?new=1

Hope this works

Doug
  • rinosphererinosphere Posts: 7 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Thanks Doug, but no dice. It won't switch on solo/unplugged. So can't even get to the text screen stage. It's fully charged. But only switches on when plugged in. And I've changed the setting not to go to sleep automatically.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,888
    Superuser
    HI @rinosphere

That suggests that the battery may have failed if you can get it to start when connected to a power source but not if disconnected.

If you search on Youtube you can see videos showing how to replace a battery. If you feel able then that maybe a way to go. The batteries are available from the likes of Amazon /Ebay.

Doug
  • rinosphererinosphere Posts: 7 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Hmmm battery, maybe. I do think it says it's fully charged though...