URL Schemes for GO Navigation iOS — TomTom Community

URL Schemes for GO Navigation iOS

JürgenJürgen Posts: 6,205
Community Manager
TomTom GO Navigation implements the x-callback-url protocol, which allow iOS and macOS developers to expose and document API methods they make available to other apps and return useful data.

TomTom GO Navigation URL Scheme actions look like this:
tomtomgo://x-callback-url/[action]?[action parameters]

Actions

/navigate

Plan a route to the specified destination coordinates.

parameters:

∙ destination - The destination point to navigate to. Formatted as a comma separated string of latitude,longitude.

Note: the map for the destination should be downloaded, otherwise the action could not be performed.

Example:
tomtomgo://x-callback-url/navigate?destination=52.371183,4.892504

Comments

• PrivateerUKPrivateerUK Posts: 378 [Supreme Pioneer]
    Hi @Jürgen ,

Thank you to you and everybody at TomTom for adding URL Schemes to TomTom GO.

However, there is one other thing. is it possible to add the name of the destination as well as the destination location?

For example, the old format for TomTom Europe was:

com.tomtom.Europe://geo:action=navigateto&lat=48.86870&long=2.78181&name=Disneyland%20Paris

That would lauch TomTom Europe with the destination of 48.86870,2.78181 with a name of "Disneyland Paris" that would appear in the recent Recent Destinations.

Hi @Jürgen and other TomTom gurus,

I think I've got the Action /navigate sorted, but are there any more parameters than destination? There should hopefully be something like "name" as I would like to add the name of the location to navigate to so that its actual name appears in the Recent Destinations list, rather than an address which can at times be meaningless.

I was hoping that Action /navigate would have parameters such as destination and home. I've tried using symbols such as '?' and '&' but as yet nothing helps.

Using the Disneyland Paris Hotel as an example, I would like to emulate the URL Scheme for the legacy TomTom Europe:
    com.tomtom.Europe://geo:action=navigateto&lat=48.871206&long=2.781018&name=Disneyland%20Paris%20Hotel

I was hoping that in TomTom GO, I could use something like:
    tomtomgo://x-callback-url/navigate?destination=48.871206,2.781018&name=Disneyland%20Paris%20Hotel

Is it possible to use a name parameter that appears in the Recent Destinations list? If it is then please give an example.

If it isn't then would you please add it to the URL Scheme for TomTom GO?

Regards,
  • JürgenJürgen Posts: 6,205
    Community Manager
    Thanks for your feedback which I forwarded. Unfortunately this parameter is not supported at the moment.
    edited November 2019
    Hi @Jürgen ,

Thanks for the reply.

Could you ask the team if they would please add support for more parameters like "name" to the /navigate action and allow the value of the name parameter to appear in the Recent Destinations list?

Also, would it be possible for the team to document any methods necessary for dealing with special characters in the name parameter, e.g.:
    • Diacritical marks aka accent marks
    • & (Ampersand) i.e. U+0026
    • , (comma)
    • () round brackets
    • [] Square brackets
    • # Hash
    • + and - (plus and minus)

Kind Regards,
  • PentabytePentabyte Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
    Thanks to TomTom for adding the url scheme! I just tried it on the current version of TomTom Go and it just works fine.

@Jürgen : @PrivateerUK 's request seems reasonable to me since most navigation apps offer an additional name for the sake of a more readable history of recent destinations in my experience.

My final 2 cents for this thread: Long after this thread started, Apple introduced https://developer.apple.com/ios/universal-links/ , which might be interesting for you in the long term.

If you would be able to define a destination like this: http://tomtom.com/location?lat=50,lon=7 , with universal links, the app would be able to intercept this URL. This is kind of a new alternative to custom URL schemes. In addition, any user who has NOT installed the app, would be "just" opening the web page and would be redirected to TomTom. This would of course not only require a change to the app, but a major change to the website. Advantage: as the name "universal" suggests, you would be able to open this link on any device, no matter which app is installed.

But the most important aspect in my view - I can finally deep link TomTom again. =) Well done, thanks!
  • poiviewerpoiviewer Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
    Thank you to the team for bringing back this feature.

A "name" parameter would be a great addition for sure !
    Hi @Jürgen,

Version 2.1 introduced the basic URL Scheme back in early November 2019. We would still like to see a name parameter for a more readable history of recent destinations.

Since 2.1 was released, we've have three more releases: 2.1.1; 2.1.2; and 2.1.3.

Would you please pass this request to the team and ask them to implement it as soon as possible.

Regards,
  • FixitwellFixitwell Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    edited February 2020
    Jürgen wrote: »
    TomTom GO Navigation implements the x-callback-url protocol, which allow iOS and macOS developers to expose and document API methods they make available to other apps and return useful data.

TomTom GO Navigation URL Scheme actions look like this:
    tomtomgo://x-callback-url/[action]?[action parameters]

Actions

/navigate

Plan a route to the specified destination coordinates.

parameters:

∙ destination - The destination point to navigate to. Formatted as a comma separated string of latitude,longitude.

Note: the map for the destination should be downloaded, otherwise the action could not be performed.

Example:
    tomtomgo://x-callback-url/navigate?destination=52.371183,4.892504

This is a great improvent enabling us to use L4Cpro
    You can create a link in L4Cpro with the following url:

tomtomgo://x-callback-url/navigate?destination=[LATITUDE],[LONGITUDE]

and navigate to a geocache with TomTomGo