Maps no longer work after checking for updates — TomTom Community

Maps no longer work after checking for updates

Hi all, first time on this forum for me.
I have a TomTom XL with a GJ serial number. We bought it off eBay some 18 months ago for our holiday in the USA at the start of this year. It worked fine there, it worked fine here in the UK. It has three sets of maps: UK, USA and Greece
The other week, out of interest I plugged it into the PC to check for any updates, there were none of course. Now, when powered up, it presents a list of those three maps but on selection of any one advises "You cannot use this map on this device: "UK 101437” same goes for "USA 101487" and "Greece 101059".
The device does still contain those map files
I have backed it up to the TomTom site, reset it, downloaded the maps again. No change
I have pressed the tiny reset button. No change
I have held the on button for 30 seconds. No change
Run out of ideas.
Short of jumping up and down on it, any ideas how to fix it?
Looking forward to an informative reply
Cheers,
David

Best Answers

• SmudgerRESmudgerRE Posts: 8 [Master Explorer]
    Accepted Answer
    Hi Lampard, thanks for your reply
    I was just writing I've already tried that, but then I just tried again and hey presto it works now!. Wooo-hoo
    You are an absolute star matey
    Cheers,
    David
    Accepted Answer
    Ta-dah and double Ta-dah!
    Morning Lampard.
    Well to be honest the instructions were a tad scary so I was awaiting my bro, (into IT) to pop round. I was concerned I'd lose the USA map, I have two hardrives on the PC which both seem to have Tomtom and... well I didn't want to risk knackering it any further. Anyway, I just idly plugged the satnav in and there was a large UK map update plus a tiny one available.
    My satnav now works!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Break out the dancing girls and marching bands. The Gods of IT have smiled upon me.
    Mate thank you for your help and patience.
    I will not add the USA maps until we go there again, no doubt I will be back here asking for more help, LOL
    Cheers again Lampard
    David

Answers

• lampardlampard Posts: 4,840 Moderator
    Hi @SmudgerRE

Welcome to the Community! All these maps (UK, Greece & USA) are active again on your device and should be offered to download in TomTom HOME.

Regards, lampard
    Accepted Answer
    Hi Lampard, thanks for your reply
    I was just writing I've already tried that, but then I just tried again and hey presto it works now!. Wooo-hoo
    You are an absolute star matey
    Cheers,
    David
    Arrrrrrgh! I spoke (or wrote) too soon... neither UK nor Greece maps work. The USA one works fine, but I'm in the UK.
    I have tried copying both to PC, deleting from satnav, reinstalling from PC, checked for updates, uninstalled, re-reinstalled and various permutations of the those. Still no joy.
    I can see an update for Greece available for Greece but mot UK. Could that be the problem?
    Help again please sir!
    Cheers,
    David
    Hi @SmudgerRE

Does the UK/Greece map offer in TomTom HOME? If yes, is there any error when you try to use it after adding it to the device? It's a bit odd since all the maps o your account are compatible with your device. Perhaps, just make soft reset and retry to update it again?

Regards, lampard
    Hi Lampard,
    Firstly let me confirm I really appreciate your help. Thank you!
    I am going round and round the houses here mate, it is still not working. I have reinstalled, removed, deleted, soft reset, hard reset, left it alone, turned it on outside (in case it wanted to see a satellite?), charged and even cleaned the screen (in case it was getting a false instruction?).
    Both Greece and USA maps (which stopped working) have been copied off the satnav into the PC.
    I have just UK maps on it now. (266.3MB)
    I have downloaded two available updates, one for postcodes and one for something else (forget what now). There are no further updates for UK.
    Updates only offer a USA update. which I have not downloaded because I 'm concentrating only on the UK.
    So... now, when powered up I get the drum roll then the usual red screen "You cannot use this map on this device: UK and Rep of Ireland 101437". touch "OK" and it reverts to the white screen "Select a map" witch is a list of just one of course: the UK and Rep of Ireland. Touch "Done" just begins a loop of the above...
    Any other ideas please?
    :-)
    Cheers,
    David
    Wow Lampard, a serious set of instructions there!
    Thank you.
    I will give it a go and get back to you
    Cheers matey
    D
    Accepted Answer
    Ta-dah and double Ta-dah!
    Morning Lampard.
    Well to be honest the instructions were a tad scary so I was awaiting my bro, (into IT) to pop round. I was concerned I'd lose the USA map, I have two hardrives on the PC which both seem to have Tomtom and... well I didn't want to risk knackering it any further. Anyway, I just idly plugged the satnav in and there was a large UK map update plus a tiny one available.
    My satnav now works!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Break out the dancing girls and marching bands. The Gods of IT have smiled upon me.
    Mate thank you for your help and patience.
    I will not add the USA maps until we go there again, no doubt I will be back here asking for more help, LOL
    Cheers again Lampard
    David
    Glad to know that, David! 🥳🤟
    Thanks again Lampard
    D
    edited November 2019
    Calm down Venter JL.. My satnav now works. Dunno why but it does. Sweet.
    Lampard is a star