Carplay - iOS Feedback — TomTom Community

Carplay - iOS Feedback

CustersonCusterson Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
Hi,

Just recently changed car and now I can use Carplay for the first time.
I have two comments for the developers to consider:

1) Having a navigation app where you cannot search for a destination is not helpful and needs to be urgently addressed. I understand I can use POI or My Places, but it doesn't make up for the lack of search and seems to be a fundamental feature that is missing.

2) The screen design seems to be for a left hand drive car. The map is on the left and the information bits are on the right. It a right hand drive car, this puts the map quite a way out of the drivers immediate field of vision. Sitting the the passenger seat give a much better view. I would like the ability to swap the map view and info boxes to the other side of the screen.

3) As said in the other posts, Siri shortcut integration is required.

Answers

• CustersonCusterson Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I should also learn to count!
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 5,627
    Superuser
    Hi @Custerson

Regarding you 2 observations , or was it 3, 😃😃 I would comment as follows.

TomTom have announced there is an update in the pipeline with some new features so we have to see if your Search option is part of it. 🤞

Regarding the orientation I had never thought about whether or not Lefthand/Righthand. Thinking about it I note that if I hold the steering wheel as taught ie 10 to 2 my hand / arm tends to obscure the righthand side of the display but the map is clearly visible. If I was in a lefthand drive the Map would be slightly obscured. So to me it is the right way around as prefer the map being clearly visible is what I want. Nice observation though.

Re Siri I have no comment.

Doug
  • ajukajuk Posts: 12 [Master Explorer]
    edited October 2019
    I prefer the information on the right of the screen for right hand drive cars. The map for me is of only secondary importance to the information and next turn.

10 to 2 for hands on steering wheel? recommendation for modern cars is quarter to 9 so hands are where stalks and paddles are.

For safety I prefer to do the address searching on the iPhone, (whilst stopped or before getting in the car) rather than on the car screen.

But we are all different in what we like.
    Superuser
    Hi @ajuk

10-2 just shows my age. Before I learned to drive I used to sit in the back of my Dads car and thump the door pillar if the indicator arm was stuck and did not go up. You did not have stalks and the indicator control was in the middle of the steering wheel when I learned. Oh and you stuck your arm out of the window to tell other drivers which way you were turning.

Doug
    Hurrah!
    v2.1 adds text search
  • lampardlampard Posts: 4,772 Moderator
    edited November 2019
    Hi @Custerson

Yesterday, we started a phased rollout of GO Navigation version 2.1 which includes Text search in CarPlay & One button to download/update map regions for an entire country.

Regards, lampard
  • ajukajuk Posts: 12 [Master Explorer]
    DougLap wrote: »
    Hi @ajuk

10-2 just shows my age. Before I learned to drive I used to sit in the back of my Dads car and thump the door pillar if the indicator arm was stuck and did not go up. You did not have stalks and the indicator control was in the middle of the steering wheel when I learned. Oh and you stuck your arm out of the window to tell other drivers which way you were turning.

Doug
    I too remember that and an advance/retard lever in the middle of the steering wheel! Remember praying on my car test that it would not rain as the window had to be kept down to do hand signals.
    Superuser
    Hi @ajuk

Don't have the pull out knob now for SHMBO's handbag. =)=) Choked about that.

Doug
  • StandleyNCFCStandleyNCFC Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    When using tomtom app through Apple CarPlay on my car. Why don’t you have the Route Bar on right hand side like you do with the tomtom go app and normal sat nav?
  • JürgenJürgen Posts: 5,424
    Community Manager
    When using tomtom app through Apple CarPlay on my car. Why don’t you have the Route Bar on right hand side like you do with the tomtom go app and normal sat nav?
    This is what we've published in an FAQ: Unfortunately, the CarPlay® User Interface templates do not allow for the route bar in its current form. We are investigating ways to incorporate the information and features of the route bar in future versions of the app.

Version 2.1 delivered search in CarPlay, more to come! :)
    2) I have just been in a left hand drive car with carplay. The display is flipped, so the code is there to handle it. Just need an option to say which side you would prefer.