Maps on GO 520 — TomTom Community

Maps on GO 520

oscarolimoscarolim Posts: 2 [Apprentice Seeker]
edited October 29 in Map installation
I got a 520 GO which said had lifetime maps. However when connecting to the Tom Tom home app, it says it is discontinued and maps are not available anymore, because they are too big.

Well it has a 8GB SD card on it, doubt the maps are bigger than 8GB. And why can't I download older versions of the maps that were available for this device?
Tagged:

Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 3,368 Superuser
    edited October 27
    Hi @oscarolim

The European map is now about 9.3gb so would not fit on the extra memory if need be.. The Europe and US maps all not fit on the internal memory as together they are too big.

You have 16gb on the internal memory so after loading the operating software you have about 12/13gb of space for Maps I would suggest that you install a 16gb or maximum 32gb card as maps are not split across memory but each map must be either on the internal or external memory.

Always ensure you have at least 2 maps on the internal memory. For example load either the Venezuela or the Iraq map as they are very small files (circa 30mb) and you can leave it loaded. The reason is if for example you only have the Europe map loaded and during an update there is a problem and the map could become corrupt or be lost. If this is the case you will not be able to start the device as it needs a map to do so therefore the little map lying there solves that issue. You will then be able to start the device and sort the problem out and not have to go through the No Maps Found process...

If you have 2 maps on the device you can if you want then delete a map so for example you could delete the Europe map and load the USA map. The device will always try to load any map on the internal memory first and only switch to using the extra memory if there is not enough free space on the internal memory.

If you Tap Menu/Settings/System/About and scroll down you will see the maps loaded and also can see how much spare capacity you have on the Internal and external memories.

You are not able to download old maps but why would you want to?

Doug
  • oscarolimoscarolim Posts: 2 [Apprentice Seeker]
    The European map is now about 9.3gb so would not fit on the extra memory if need be.. The Europe and US maps all not fit on the internal memory as together they are too big.

Yet the device supports SD cards. I can (and do have) a 16GB SD card on it. Last I checked, you can fit 9GB of data on a 16GB SD card.

You have 16gb on the internal memory so after loading the operating software you have about 12/13gb of space for Maps I would suggest that you install a 16gb or maximum 32gb card as maps are not split across memory but each map must be either on the internal or external memory.

See above, using an SD card, not the internal memory.

You are not able to download old maps but why would you want to?
    So I can still use the device. Maps don't change that often. Is also interesting that if I buy the map, it works, but the "lifetime maps" don't. Money grab is another term for this practice.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 3,368 Superuser
    Hi @oscaro;in

I appreciate that you have read my post but I suggest that you read your original post as well.

Well it has a 8GB SD card on it, doubt the maps are bigger than 8GB.

Whilst you can add an 8gb card the reason for suggesting a 16gb or 32gb card is this ensures that if you wish to load a map that will not fit on the internal memory that the card is big enough to accept any of the available maps. On the latest models if you have the USA map loaded on the internal memory you could not add the Europe map with only 8gb extra memory .

Customer demand has always asked for the latest map not historical maps. hence the latter are not offered.

Regarding Lifetime maps I note that you say you have a GO520 and are using the TT home software.which means it is the old 520 device and has been declared obsolete by Tomtom. If you search here you will find that Tomtom have clearly stated that obsolete devices sold with Lifetime maps are still supported regarding the supply of Maps and so you should still be being offered the service.. If you are not getting updated maps offered then I suggest that you contact customer support. When you do don't answer the questions but wait for an agent to answer.

United Kingdom
    02079 490 134
    Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.

Doug