Old Vs New Devices — TomTom Community

Old Vs New Devices

I have been a Tom Tom user for many many years now.
Is anyone else finding the functionality of the new GPS devices limited (apart from live traffic and speed cameras?)
Since introduction of newer devices they sometimes freeze, sometimes reboot mid navigation and are painfully slow.
This is not just my latest device 6200 but a 600 I owned prior to this.
The old icons for familiar places (not just home and work) on the front screen, selection of colour profiles, petrol station icons on route identifying the service station provider are sorely missed.
We move forward with IFTTT and what does this offer but more slowing of processing time.
I like the new display look but give us the ability to choose what we want as icons.
The GPS is now the same price as a laptop. Offer the same functionality.

Answers

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,105
    Superusers
    edited October 2019
    Hi
    @Clearview
    Clearview wrote: »
    Since introduction of newer devices they sometimes freeze, sometimes reboot mid navigation and are painfully slow.
    This is not just my latest device 6200 but a 600 I owned prior to this.
    Re the NAV5 G6200 & all Wi-Fi Models... I have also had the laggy interface especially at start-up....
    I have found if you log out/forget Wi-Fi and only log in when you need to update... The device is normal & responsive....
    Note... You can't actually turn-off the Wi-Fi but you can forget it, the device will still be monitoring for a Wi-Fi service but not Connecting & Syncing....
    Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Setting --> Wi-Fi... Tap on your Wi-Fi's Name (Screen top left)
    Tap Modify --> Forget
    Follow on-screen instructions to finish
    If you want to update your device log back into the Wi-Fi
    We move forward with IFTTT and what does this offer but more slowing of processing time.
    I am a user of Smart Home Technology and find it a useful feature
    If you don't use/like the feature you can turn it off in the Settings Menus
    AFAIR the feature is 'ON' by default
    I like the new display look but give us the ability to choose what we want as icons.
    The old icons for familiar places (not just home and work) on the front screen, selection of colour profiles, petrol station icons on route identifying the service station provider are sorely missed.
    Installing 3rd party POI Categories....
    See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1672791/#Comment_1672791
    Displaying Personal POIs on the Driving View/Map
    Be aware... You can't install the POI associated .BMP files
    You can only use the 5 Tomtom supplied generic Icons....
    But you can use one icon for for more than one POI category i.e... place all your fuel categories under one Icon, then if you tap on a nearby 'say' Fuel Icon a Quick menu opens --> Tap the 3Dot Icon for more options & more Information
    The GPS is now the same price as a laptop. Offer the same functionality.
    Mmmmm... But can't stick a laptop to the windscreen

ATB YFM