TomTom Launches the GO SUPREME Edition — TomTom Community

TomTom Launches the GO SUPREME Edition

VikramKVikramK Posts: 10,486 Moderator
edited October 2019 in News and announcements
Hello All,

We have launched the TomTom GO Supreme in Australia and New Zealand as our new high-end navigation device.

The product has the GO Essential hardware (GO 520/620) but includes the same feature set as the GO PREMIUM. Later this year the plan is to launch the product in North America as well.

g1ic7qn7y1q5.png

Highlighted Features-

• Updates via Wi-Fi® – World maps and software
  • TomTom Traffic and Speed Camera Alerts
  • Last Mile Navigation and Find My Car
  • IFTTT Integration – syncing agendas, connecting to smart home devices, interacting with virtual assistants and sending notifications
  • Trip Planning with TomTom MyDrive and Road Trips
  • Share ETA, Location and Notifications*

Thank you and drive safe!
-Vikram :)

Comments

• Ozzi DougOzzi Doug Posts: 2 [New Traveler]
    I bought a GO Supreme and have two questions

I have my GO Supreme on the same account as an existing GO600. Can I get updates for both machines on that one account?

My GO600 continued to navigate through Brisbane's underground tunnels, I assume by calculating position by last known speed. The Supreme doesn't seem to do that. Is that expected behaviour?

Thanks in anticipation.

Cheers
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,770
    Superusers
    edited November 2019
    Hi
    @Ozzi Doug

Check... Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Setting --> Route planning....
    Scroll down to Avoid on every route... Is the avoid tunnels switch set to ON ???

ATB YFM
  • miketorcymiketorcy Posts: 3,378
    Superusers
    Ozzi Doug wrote: »
    I bought a GO Supreme and have two questions

I have my GO Supreme on the same account as an existing GO600. Can I get updates for both machines on that one account?

Thanks in anticipation.

Cheers

Yes, ten device with one account.

• swconnellswconnell Posts: 8 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Does the Go Supreme range come with lifetime traffic and speed camera updates?Looking at the premium UK edition it says lifetime but the Supreme Australia does not..

Australia
    https://www.tomtom.com/en_au/drive/car/products/go-supreme-5-inch/

UK
    https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/sat-nav/car-sat-nav/products/go-premium-5-inch/

Best regards,
    Superusers
    edited December 2019
    Hi
    @swconnell
    swconnell wrote: »
    Does the Go Supreme range come with lifetime traffic and speed camera updates?Looking at the premium UK edition it says lifetime but the Supreme Australia does not..,
    In the UK the 2G service is still available... Built-in SIM Card Life time Traffic etc over GPRS....

In OZ the 2G service has been shut-down... Traffic etc is over BYOC (Bring your own connection) using a Smart Phone....

ATB YFM
  • swconnellswconnell Posts: 8 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Thanks,

I see now., the services are pretty much lifelong as the data connection is through the Mydrive app on my phone.
  • tgoldtgold Posts: 2,161 [Revered Voyager]
    swconnell wrote: »
    I see now., the services are pretty much lifelong as the data connection is through the Mydrive app on my phone.
    TomTom's business model depends on all of their products having built-in obsolescence. Lifelong service sounds like a bug and TomTom will eventually "fix" that.
  • hikeswisshikeswiss Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    I just purchased my TomTom GO Supreme. This is my 4th TomTom Navigator. I have questions about using voice control. Is there a video that I might access to better understand the capabilities of my new SatNav? I live in Portland Oregon, USA
  • iosman987iosman987 Posts: 4 [Apprentice Seeker]
    I have a two year old TomTom 820 serial FTxxxxKxxxxx. I purchased this based on life time map support. How do I access the free maps. If this is not so you are in breach of Consumer Affairs Legislation in Australia. Thanks for the information.
  • tgoldtgold Posts: 2,161 [Revered Voyager]
    edited January 19
    Read the small print. Lifetime is a TomTom marketing term that in essence means for so long as they choose to provide maps for that particular device. Lifetime does not imply for the lifetime of the owner or until the device croaks. The term was invented at a time when TomTom had been selling devices with only one single update or a subscription for one year after which time then they offered to sell map renewals until the end of life of the device. Now many (all?) devices come with free map renewals, but still only until TomTom declares the end of life (i.e. end of support) for that model of device.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,423
    Superuser
    Hi @tgold

Whilst the 820 with serial number starting FT has been declared obsolete Tomtom have declared that they are still honouring devices sold with Lifetime Updates.

I think the X20 series were first issued in 2007 some 2 years before Windows 7 was released and that is not now being supported by windows. Apple iPhones go out of favour even quicker. Are you suggesting that Tomtom's lifetime is poorer than all the other GPS providers. If you are then I would have to disagree.

I am surprised that he says the unit is only 2 years old. If he is correct then he should contact Customer Support and discuss it with them.

Australia
    1300 135 604
    Monday-Friday:9:00 am to 5:30 pm AEST

Doug
    Superusers
    edited January 19
    Hi
    @iosman987
    iosman987 wrote: »
    I have a two year old TomTom 820 serial FTxxxxKxxxxx. I purchased this based on life time map support. How do I access the free maps. If this is not so you are in breach of Consumer Affairs Legislation in Australia. Thanks for the information.
    6ldo0ixnvlng.jpgI am surprised that the unit is only 2 years old....
    7 years ago I purchased my NAV3 GO 825 Live (19/06/13)
    Tomtom were selling the remaining NAV3 stock before the launch of the NAV4 GO 5000
    The NAV3 GO 825 Live was at a discount to £128.97 + There was a flyer for Lifetime maps attached to the box with the Website Address and a registration code with a time limit to register the Lifetime map, I think it was 30 days ???

ATB YFM
  • iosman987iosman987 Posts: 4 [Apprentice Seeker]
    iosman987 wrote: »
    I have a two year old TomTom 820 serial FTxxxxKxxxxx. I purchased this based on life time map support. . How do I access the free maps. If this is not so you are in breach of Consumer Affairs Legislation in Australia. Thanks for the information.

Thanks my issue has been fixed.
  • Patrice1200Patrice1200 Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    I have a GO520 and just upgraded to the GO Supreme. When I signed in to My
    Drive account, it listed both serial numbers correctly but labeled them both GO Supremes. What is the difference between the two if any?
  • diver1948diver1948 Posts: 4 [Apprentice Seeker]
    I just bought a Go Supreme 5". Went online to download the user manual but unable to fine it. Found lot of manuals for other units but not for the Go Supreme. Is this unit the same as GO PREMIUM? If not can you give me the link for the Go Supreme manual?
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,423
    Superuser
    Hi @diver1948

It is the same as the GO Premium except it does not have an inbuilt sim but requires connection to a Phone for data.

Doug
  • diver1948diver1948 Posts: 4 [Apprentice Seeker]
    I just upgraded from a TomTom XXL GPS to a Go Supreme.
    On the XXL I could switch from 2D to 3D view by just touching a point on the screen. On the Go Supreme I have to touch the menu button, swipe the screen 3 times, touch the Settings button, then the Appearance button, then the Guidance view button before I can switch between 2D and 3D.

This is not only time consuming but dangerous to do while driving.

Is there a shortcut?

If not this should be corrected in the next software update for safety reasons.

On my XXL my destination arrival time, remaining drive time and remaining miles are all displayed. On the Go Supreme my arrival time and remaining miles or remaining time are displayed but not both. Anyway to get all 3 displayed?

• bigbig Posts: 1,626
    Superuser
    @diver1948 Hitting the directional arow above the - + zoom buttons should switch to/from 3D.

If you choose the wide route bar you will be able to display both remaining time and distance at the same time. With the small route bar you can tap on the time or distance to see the other.
    Superusers
    edited September 29
    Hi
    @diver1948
    Welcome to the site....

The available Driving View options are 3D & 2D (Rotate in direction of travel)
    Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Setting --> Appearance --> Guidance view

hirdbftnd6em.jpg
    A true North-up Driving view is not an available option on the latest Tomtom devices....
    The only true North-up is the North-up Overview panning Map
    Tap on the direction of Travel Icon, above the + and - Signs
    To toggle between the North-up Overview Planning Map and the Driving Map view chosen in the Setting menus i.e... 2D in direction of travel or 3D

mulqpd39pdff.jpg
    The direction of Travel Icon is thinner more pointed in the 2D in direction of travel or 3D Driving view

i82ldz9u5cf1.png
    The sequence when tapping on the 'Direction of Travel Icon' as I see it... I'm driving using my chosen driving view in the Setting Menus...
    For me 2D (In direction of Travel) + Zoom... Based on road type
    1st Tap --> North-up Overview planning Map
    2nd Tap --> 2D (Indirection of Travel) Max Zoom ???
    3rd Tap --> Return to my chosen driving view (2D (In direction of Travel) Normal Zoom

Cut & Paste from one of my previous posts
    Driving using the North-up Overview Planning Map
    My Normal Setting....
    2D Rotate in direction of travel
    Zoom... Based on road type

I planned and calculated a route
    Tapped the direction of travel chevron to select the North-up overview map
    tapped the + sign 4 times to set the required zoom level....

Set off on the route....
    The cursor that represent the current location does not remain centred like in 2D or 3D
    it's sits inboard from the edge of the screen about 20/25 percent and moves around the sides of screen depending on the direction travel, but it always stays on the screen (I think this is to show as much as the route as possible)

The route was about 5 Miles, the zoom level remained normal as for using 'Zoom Based on road type' throughout the journey

Re... Journey Time/Distance info display....
    As Big says Use the Wide Route Bar
    Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Setting --> Appearance --> Route bar Show a wide Route Bar if Possible....
    Or
    Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Setting --> Appearance --> Route bar --> Arrival Information... Switch between distance and time automatically....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • IMAPOIIMAPOI Posts: 27 [Master Traveler]
    My impressions of the TomTom Supreme coming from the Go 520

The good
    IFTTT
    Trip stats
    Seems a "bit faster" navigating around the device.
    Easy access to cancel a route

The Bad
    Guidence view: I like 3d...always on, it keeps going back to 2d after I cancel a route and stays 2d ... I have tried all possible setting...unless someone can enlighten
    Warning: Unable to set "only when speeding' for red light cameras, it is either Always or Never, all other warnings, I have 3 options, always, only when speeding, never.

The Verdict
    If you have the go 520, keep it, no need to upgrade unless you have to or you want IFTT/trip Stats. All the improvements are software related which could have / should have been sent to the 520/620

Speaking of IFTTT as from 8th Oct 2020 any more than 3 Applet will now be a monthly subscription, $3.99 US ...ouch

Superusers
    edited September 29
    Hi
    @IMAPOI
    IMAPOI wrote: »
    (Snip)Seems a "bit faster" navigating around the device (Snip)
    Try logging out of your Wi-Fi....
    I find the Wi-Fi devices are more stable and more responsive in general use when you 'Forget' the Wi-Fi connection

(You can't actually logout you can only 'Forget' the connection)
    Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Settings --> Wi-Fi
    Tap on your Connected Wi-Fi
    Tap (Modify) Icon
    Tap (Forget) Icon
    Tap (^) Icon Screen top right
    To verify the Wi-Fi is OFF Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) screen top right Wi-Fi logo with an 'X'

70e5b90b-25ce-4fca-994c-e836a17cb9fa.jpg
    To Reconnect to Wi-Fi.... For Updating etc....
    Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Settings --> Wi-Fi
    Tap on your chosen Wi-Fi
    Enter your Wi-Fi Password
    Tap Done
    Tap Connect

Unless you're using a personal My-Fi Hotspot in the car for your data connection, the only other reason for a live Wi-Fi connection is for updating the device... I turn off (Forget) Wi-Fi by default and only login for updates
    It's no big deal for updates, you only have to enter your Wi-Fi password....
    (Snip) Guidance view: I like 3d...always on, it keeps going back to 2d after I cancel a route and stays 2d ... I have tried all possible setting...unless someone can enlighten
    Tap on the Direction of travel Icon above the + and -- buttons to toggle through the Driving/Planning views....
    See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1726677/#Comment_1726677

More info on Automatic Map Switching
    Automatic Map Switching happens at both the Start and End of your journey
    With Automatic Map Switching turned on (Default) the device aromaticity changes to the Driving view when the vehicle reaches approximately 10Kph (6Mph) MPH and Automatically switches to the North-up Overview Map on reaching your destination

At the end of your journey....
    There are a set of Automatic Route Clearance Rules

As far as I recall....
    (1)… When you arrive to destination the route will be cleared (Inside a 50m radius)
    (2)… When the last known location is less than 400 meters from your destination AND it has been more than 120 minutes since the user suspend/turn off device, the route will be cleared automatically on the device.
    (3)… When the user suspends the device for more than a week, the route will be cleared automatically on the device.

Maybe useful... In the Setting menu
    You can turn off the automatic Map switching to the North-up overview map

With "Automatic Map Switching" turned off when you arrive at your destination the device will continue using your chosen navigation screen to show your present location...

ecdc5dcc-1ec2-4a20-a5f5-abdfe1209080.jpg
    Note... you may need to tap the Plus Icon button (Situated Under the 'Direction of Travel' Icon) a couple of times to zoom in for the map detail
    (At least it stops the Map switching to the North-up overview map with a zoom level view like the view from International Space Station)

Setting-up... From the main screen
    Tap the 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Setting --> Appearance....
    Turn off Automatic Map view switching
    Tap Blue arrow head Icon ( > ) top right on screen to exit

But unfortunately this has an effect to both ends of the journey.....
    If you have turned off Automatic Map view switching
    Now whenever you have planned a route, you will have to tap the "Lets Go" banner or the "Direction of travel Icon" the arrowhead above the plus and minus buttons
    To switch to your chosen navigation screen
    The Map does not switch at either the start or the end of your journey

There are also three options for the Zoom function.....
    (1)..... Zoom into next turn
    (2)..... Based on road type... I prefer the zoom set to 'Based on road type'
    (3)..... None
    From the main screen
    Tap the 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Setting --> Appearance --> Automatic zoom....
    Choose the required option
    Tap Blue arrow head Icon ( > ) top right on screen to exit
    Warning: Unable to set "only when speeding' for red light cameras, it is either Always or Never, all other warnings, I have 3 options, always, only when speeding, never
    The 'When Speeding' option is used to give a warning multi tone beep when exceeding the speed limit in a speed limit zone i.e... 20, 30, 40, 50, 60 or 70 MPH Zone or in Fixed, Mobile and Average speed camera zones
    You wouldn't be speeding jumping a Red Camera light at speed from stationary... If you ran a Red Camera light at speed that was already displaying a Red Light you would deserve to be prosecuted....

For a general improvement using the Tomtom Speed Cam Database over the default settings
    Always use a Computer voice...
    Serena or Malcolm in the UK
    Also....
    From the main screen... Tap (.... Menu) -> Setting -> Sounds & Warnings...
    Set... 'Warning Type' to... Read Allowed... (Important... Needs a Computer Voice set in the Voices menu)
    Speed Cameras & Hazards... Set to ON
    The next 10 Setting ALL set to Always
    The next 4 Settings ALL set to ON
    The device will now say....
    'Fixed Camera'
    'Mobile Hot Spot'
    'Red-light Camera'
    'Accident Black-spots
    ‘Spoken Traffic delays’

Speed Cams
    If you keep a check on the Traffic-bar... The device gives you a visual Warning of the next Fixed or Mobile Speed Camera many miles before you reach the camera
    Even more info if in the 'Setting menus' you set up a Wide Traffic/Route Bar
    93197384-69ec-4f9d-b7ae-f68a6f82ffae.jpg
    (Snip) Speaking of IFTTT as from 8th Oct 2020 any more than 3 Applets will now be a monthly subscription, $3.99 US ...ouch
    As far as I know IFTTT is free for individual users because companies pay to use it. Many businesses pay to create services, connections, and applets through IFTTT to share them with users

Stay Safe.... ATB YFM
  • IMAPOIIMAPOI Posts: 27 [Master Traveler]
    Hi @YamFazMan
    YamFazMan wrote: »
    I find the Wi-Fi devices are more stable and more responsive in general use when you 'Forget' the Wi-Fi connection
    (

Question on this...would that not "disable" live traffic updates? I tried your suggestion, of turning off wifi and Yes my device was faster

Guidance view: [

Yes, It worked THANK YOU! Stayed 3d The option to turn on /off is right down the bottom, which I missed stupidly

The 'When Speeding' option is used to give a warning multi tone beep when exceeding the speed limit in a speed limit zone i.e... 20, 30, 40, 50, 60 or 70 MPH Zone or in Fixed, Mobile and Average speed camera zones
    Agreed
    My question is why don't I have 'When Speeding' option for red light speed camera
    IE when approaching the intersection and I'm, say 5 km, over the speed limit I receive multi tone beep before the camera
    If I'm under the speed limit I would like the warning not to sound

.. If you ran a Red Camera light at speed that was already displaying a Red Light you would deserve to be prosecuted....
    Agreed
    As far as I know IFTTT is free for individual users because companies pay to use it. Many businesses pay to create services, connections, and applets through IFTTT to share them with users
    Yes you are correct, it is free if you are happy with other peoples applets, but if you wish to have your own customised applets a monthly charge will be implemented for 4 or more customised applets.
    For me I use tomtom /homeseer for IFTTT, which there are not many applets to select from, thus I need to set my own up

https://ifttt.com/plans

Thank you YamFazMan for your help on this, enjoy your day!

Superusers
    edited September 30
    Hi
    @IMAPOI
    Question on this...would that not "disable" live traffic updates? I tried your suggestion, of turning off Wi-Fi and Yes my device was faster
    I realize there is a problem with Apple iPhone using iOS 13 and above and the MyDrive app....
    If you only need a basic Phone and Data Connection....
    You don't need the MyDrive App with it's bells & whistles ....
    Just a Straight simple Bluetooth Connection

See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1727080/#Comment_1727080

Also... You would need Wi-Fi if you're using a personal My-Fi Hotspot unit in the car for your data connection....
    Agreed....
    My question is why don't I have 'When Speeding' option for red light speed camera
    IE when approaching the intersection and I'm, say 5 km, over the speed limit I receive multi tone beep before the camera
    If I'm under the speed limit I would like the warning not to sound
    Yes you would receive the Red Light warning for both Under and Over the speed limit...
    For me I simply just want to be warned there's a Red Light Camera....
    Yes you are correct, it is free if you are happy with other people's applets, but if you wish to have your own customized applets a monthly charge will be implemented for 4 or more customized applets.
    For me I use tomtom /homeseer for IFTTT, which there are not many applets to select from, thus I need to set my own up

https://ifttt.com/plans
    Yes I agree... I thought someone else reading your post may think you had to play a monthly fee for ALL of the IFTTT Applets....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM