connect to go520 / delete factory poi file(s)

the_rubicon
the_rubicon Registered Users Posts: 3
Apprentice Seeker
edited December 2021 in Devices using Wi-Fi®
I bought a new go520 two days ago. as soon as I got it and turned it on, it prompted me for language and wifi settings then asked me to update. one of the updates was something about truckstop poi's in Europe. I thought that was a weird thing to update but the device was new to me and I trusted that it knew what it was trying to do so I accepted the update.

well!.... when I go to my places, I scroll down past the favourites I manually added (addresses of friends) and I get my two poi categories that I painstakingly added, along with 6 or 7 very ugly and completely unwanted truck related poi categories. the poi's are things like bus parking spaces in europe with polish names.

I would absolutely love to remove this from my device so that I don't have to scroll through garbage to get to the poi categories that I actually want.

with that objective in mind, and seeing that it appears completely impossible to uninstall the update, is it possible to connect the device to my windows machine and use file explorer to delete what I might assume to be an *.ov2 file (or six or seven)?

or any other ideas on how to be rid of these worthless poi's? (I don't drive a truck and I don't live in Europe)

Answers

• DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 9,821
    Superuser
    Hi @the_rubicon

I assume that maybe you have bought or been given by accident the GO520 Professional unit which is a truck device and not the GO520 Car version. If that is the case you cannot delete the Truck specific POI files and they are fixed to the Unit and can only be updated.

Here is the details of the Truck unit

https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/sat-nav/truck-sat-nav/

To check if it is a GO520 Professional if you

Tap Menu
    Tap Settings
    Is the first Icon My Vehicle which if you select gives you the option to select a vehicle type such as Car, truck, bus etc. These options are not on the Car GO520

The device GO520 Professional is a more expensive device but if you set it in My Vehicle to Car it will act the same as the GO520 however it , as far as I know, will not have the World maps as the GO Professional only uses the Truck Maps

Doug
  • the_rubicon
    Apprentice Seeker
    No such luck! it's definitely a normal go 520 wifi.
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    Hi @the_rubicon

Then if it is a GO520 and not the truck version then the following options are open too you

Go to the My Drive website and log in, (not the My Drive connect Software).. Click on the My Places Icon on the Left Edge and then Tap Poi Files you should see the list of 3rd party POI files that have been loaded and if you click on the Truck files you want to delete you should see a Dust Bin appear next to each one which you select to delete the files. Once they are deleted from your Account then when you turn on the GO520 and it syncs to the account it should remove the files from the device.

The alternative is to do a Factory Reset on the device which will delete all the Data from your device including and Poi files that have been added to the device at some time. The data removed will be any My Places you have created , Poi and Route files that have been added to the unit, not the inbuilt Poi data. The reset will not change the Software or Map versions on your device so they will not have to be updated again but you will have to set the unit up again as you should have had to do out of the box.

As I said if those files are on the device and it is a GO520 then it would appear the unit has been used before you had it and presumably returned. to the seller.

Lets know how you get on

Doug
  • the_rubicon
    Apprentice Seeker
    thanks Doug the poi files don't show up in my drive. they got thrown onto the device by an update and the guy ive been dealing with at tomtom support has so far struggled to understand what it is. it would seem that he hasnt run into this before.

he sent me some online instructions to do a reset on the device after having tried simply doing a reset from the settings menu on the device which didn't change anything in relation to the European poi's.

the reset instructions he sent me to are here
    https://au.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/8623/p/2828

this reset made me reconfigure the device just like you said it would but unfortunately the poi files have stayed there. you have no idea how much I wish I never accepted that European truck poi update.

• DougLap
    Superuser
    edited October 2019
    Hi @the_rubicon

I am not surprised he is puzzled. Did he ask you what map you have on your device.

Tap menu
    Tap Settings
    Tap The Blue Circle with a ? in it
    Tap About
    Scroll down and it lists the Map and its version reference. What does it say the reference number is. ( this should enable TT to confirm if it is the Truck map or a Car map although the TT agent should probably be able to see what map is on the unit according to their logs)

Re the Update of the Truck Files I would have assumed that has arisen because the files were either on the device already or the TT servers thought the unit had the files on it.

Doug