Road is ignored in navigation — TomTom Community

Road is ignored in navigation

1DKO1DKO Posts: 7 [Apprentice Traveler]
On my tomtom go mobile for android system, a specific nearby road is ignored when leaving home, but it is used when navigating back to home. Leaving home Tomtom is forcing a detour of 4 minutes every time. When I am stubborn and do not follow route instruction and use the wanted road instead, my time of arrival decreases with 4 minutes.

As I am living in the Netherlands, I wonder if the local municipalities in our country have anything to say which roads are used for navigation. Can anyone help me understand this phenomenon?

Comments

• RoadRiderRoadRider Posts: 655 [Revered Pioneer]
    @1DKO
    Does your road has dots or arrow-points drawn in it when you zoom in?
    Dots are restricted roads.
    Arrow-points are one way streets.
  • AsprinAsprin Posts: 271 [Supreme Pioneer]
    edited October 2019
    @1DKO,
    In your last post you talked about blocking roads.
    Now you want to use a road.going to work and back again.

I quote you:

"HI, as I use Go mobile during rush hour in the Netherlands it is important to me to block some roads in navigation. The reason for this is that those roads are closed during rush hours (eg 6AM-9AM). When the highways are crowded, Go Mobile tells me to drive through the rural area's then, but I get stuck when roads are time-blocked. When that happens, I usually have just one option: get in line with all the others who have the same problem, creating a traffic jam in the middle of nowhere."

Are you sure this road does not have a restriction on it???

I would think by now you would know all the ways to go to work and back home again and not need your GPS app everyday????

Plus you are only talking 4 minutes. That is not the end of the world.

If we are talking 1/2 to and hour maybe then I would think it could be a problem.

4 minutes is a drop in the bucket when it comes to driving.
  • 1DKO1DKO Posts: 7 [Apprentice Traveler]
    RoadRider wrote: »
    @1DKO
    Does your road has dots or arrow-points drawn in it when you zoom in?
    Dots are restricted roads.
    Arrow-points are one way streets.

No restrictions on this road.
    edited October 2019
    @asprin: of course I know my way. But I am using live traffic to show me the best route during rush hour. And for this particular road it is 4 minutes, but it might not be the only road it is ignoring...And for your interest, I have an office at home, so my trips are to customers, so my route differs every day. I won't die because of this problem, but I am curious why this happens.
    edited October 2019
    Asprin wrote: »
    @1DKO,
    In your last post you talked about blocking roads.
    Now you want to use a road.going to work and back again.

I quote you:

Why do you even quote my other post? That is a different problem, and has nothing to do with this post.

Just to be curious: are you even living in the Netherlands, and in particular the most crowded place called the Randstad? If not, let me have my problems instead trying to describe me as a whiner. Live traffic helps me decrease my traveling time with all the crowded roads and traffic jams over here. BUt sometimes it does things I cannot understand.

• AsprinAsprin Posts: 271 [Supreme Pioneer]
    Number one there is nothing wrong with the GPS no matter which one you use.
    Including stand alone units.

It is based on traffic at the time you set out.
    How you have the setting in the app setup.

You can go to the same place 5 or 6 times and the routing can be different each time.
    All is based on which direction you have parked and the time of day you set out.

When I parked in the Antwerp Harbor at my work and if one parking lot was full and had to take the next one.

The GPS took me a complete different way when it was time to go home.

Again no big deal because there would be traffic some place on the route.

Also I knew my way around the harbor and the GPS would never pick up on these roads I took.

The GPS was set to take the fastest route so it did not even look at these roads.

Again no big deal got me home anyway with or with out GPS.

As for Holland I have been there many times in fact most of the EU.

There is no GPS app or Unit that works 100% for anyone. You take as it comes.

Some GPS apps give you the chance to block a road or report a traffic jam or speed cams.

Other's do not give you that option to do so.

I have driven is some of the crowed traffic area's in Europe.

Asprin wrote: »

The GPS was set to take the fastest route so it did not even look at these roads.

Again no big deal got me home anyway with or with out GPS.

I appreciate your attempts to enlighten me, but I think you are missing my point. I do have the app set to take the quickest route. But it doesn't calculate that! For example: with the calculated route (which is supposed to be the quickest) estimated time of arrival including traffic delay is 8.10 am. At the very beginning of the calculated route, I can take a left corner and drive the road I am talking about. TomTom app recalculate the route instantly and the predicted time of arrival changes to 8.06 am. So the app never calculated the fastest route in the first place,
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 18,733
    Superusers
    edited October 2019
    Hi
    @1DKO

Don't forget Tomtoms IQ routeing (Historic data) can sometimes give a false positive, when the historic data says... There is always a traffic jam here every day, or on a particular day, between this and that time
    But Sod's law will say, when I/we arrive at the location, there won't a queue

And of course Local Knowledge is usually superior to most SatNav's
    For Example my Tomtom devices always directs me to the very busy cross road at the bottom of Bewdley Hill....
    kvx3w9wolh2n.jpg
    But I always use Local Knowledge and avoid the Traffic....
    d64k5jne2uda.jpg
    There is only 10 Seconds between the 2 Routes....

ATB YFM
  • RoadRiderRoadRider Posts: 655 [Revered Pioneer]
    @1DKO can you share the road and some sample locations? (Please do not send your home location but a point close enough to reproduce the problem)
    I am curios to the cause of this problem. I also live in The Netherlands and do not have this problem.

I do see some stickiness as YamFazMan describes but not 4 minutes. Also some roads seem to have some extra resistance but I think this has more to do that when TomTom sends people to this roads it creates an even bigger traffic jam locally. On my trip home from work the faster alternative route is changing several times. 5 minutes after this alternative is shown I see new delays on this alterative and this is on relative big roads.